Did you ever hear about this lady?

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 02:59 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070813/ap_on_re_us/obit_kirkaldy

Quote:
GLOUCESTER, Va. - Irene Morgan Kirkaldy, a black woman whose refusal to give up her bus seat to white passengers led to a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision more than a decade before Rosa Parks gained recognition for doing the same, has died at 90.

Kirkaldy died Friday at her daughter's home, said Fred Carter, director of Carter Funeral Home in Newport News.

Kirkaldy, born Irene Morgan in Baltimore in 1917, was arrested in 1944 for refusing to give up her seat on a Greyhound bus heading from Gloucester to Baltimore, and for resisting arrest.

I never heard about this woman.
This sort of changes history a little bit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 03:56 am
Hmm, what landmark US Supreme Court decision are they talking about?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:31 am
In 2001 President Clinton called out her name, along with those of Muhammad Ali, Hank Aaron and 25 others, to receive the Presidential Citizens Medal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:53 am
dyslexia wrote:
In 2001 President Clinton called out her name, along with those of Muhammad Ali, Hank Aaron and 25 others, to receive the Presidential Citizens Medal.

well then in that case I'm sure she was a low bred bitch who deserved to be arrested and beaten...right MM? :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:48 am
Quote:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:05 am
jespah wrote:

Morgan v. Virginia
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:17 am
Rosa just happened to do it when there was serious racial unrest - so it is more remembered...this lady seems to be the one with serious intestinal fortitude. She did it at a time no one even probably backed her up in her decision...out loud anyway. I am impressed...it is sad no one really took notice of her stand until now though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:22 am
What about Ida B. Wells?

Quote:

How does knowing about these women "change history"?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:30 am
Wow...I remember hearing about that - but I forgot about it. But then I forget to eat sometimes...I have a tendency to be a bit flaky.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:35 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
jespah wrote:

Morgan v. Virginia

Muchos gracias.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:42 pm
interesting stuff...thanks for bringing it up MM
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 02:53 am
boomerang wrote:
What about Ida B. Wells?

Quote:

How does knowing about these women "change history"?

"Change History" was a poor choice of words on my part.
I just had never heard of this woman and knowing about her changes what I always understood to be true about Rosa Parks and the civil rights movement.

It seems that Rosa Parks wasnt the "pioneer" that I had always thought she was.
I find it interesting,thats all.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:07 am
mysteryman wrote:
It seems that Rosa Parks wasnt the "pioneer" that I had always thought she was.

Well, yes and no.

If you're looking for the first black person to object to separate accommodations on public transportation, then, as boomerang pointed out, we should be honoring Ida B. Wells. Morgan's lawsuit ended segregation on interstate bus and train lines, but the number of passengers carried on those forms of transportation was dwarfed by the number of passengers on city bus lines in the south. Furthermore, Morgan's victory in federal court did not affect the segregation policies on intrastate bus and train lines. So when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery, AL municipal bus, it represented a greater challenge to the Jim Crow laws of the time.
0 Replies