born/borne

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:28 pm
However, now that I have realized the importance of knowing proper English, I have started devoting some time to improving it. I think this was born/borne out of pure necessity. I cannot see myself studying English at this time when I would rather be working on things like Coding, OS, Networking, and Linux.

Should it be 'born' or 'borne'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 4
No top replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:49 pm
Same thing...just different spellings. Born is what is most used in American English.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:25 pm
Sorry, I disagree. Borne and born are two different words. The correct one here is born. Borne is the past participle of bear.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:46 pm
Re: born/borne
Yoong Liat wrote:
However, now that I have realized the importance of knowing proper English, I have started devoting some time to improving it. I think this was born/borne out of pure necessity. I cannot see myself studying English at this time when I would rather be working on things like Coding, OS, Networking, and Linux.

Should it be 'born' or 'borne'?

Born, here....meaning "gave birth to"

Borne is quite different....

Here is a long definition of the verb "to bear" of which both "borne" and "borne" are past forms.

At the end is a nice explanation of when to use which form:

ear \Bear\ (b[^a]r), v. t. [imp. Bore (b[=o]r) (formerly Bare (b[^a]r)); p. p. Born (b[^o]rn), Borne (b[=o]r); p. pr. & vb. n. Bearing.]

[OE. beren, AS. beran, beoran, to bear, carry, produce; akin to D. baren to bring forth, G. geb["a]ren, Goth. ba['i]ran to bear or carry, Icel. bera, Sw. b["a]ra, Dan. b[ae]re, OHG. beran, peran, L. ferre to bear, carry, produce, Gr. fe`rein, OSlav brati to take, carry, OIr. berim I bear, Skr. bh[.r] to bear. [root]92. Cf. Fertile.]

1. To support or sustain; to hold up.

2. To support and remove or carry; to convey.

I 'll bear your logs the while. --Shak.

3. To conduct; to bring; -- said of persons. [Obs.]

Bear them to my house. --Shak.

4. To possess and use, as power; to exercise.

Every man should bear rule in his own house. --Esther i. 22.

5. To sustain; to have on (written or inscribed, or as a mark), as, the tablet bears this inscription.

6. To possess or carry, as a mark of authority or distinction; to wear; as, to bear a sword, badge, or name.

7. To possess mentally; to carry or hold in the mind; to entertain; to harbor --Dryden.

The ancient grudge I bear him. --Shak.

8. To endure; to tolerate; to undergo; to suffer.

Should such a man, too fond to rule alone, Bear, like the Turk, no brother near the throne. --Pope.

I cannot bear The murmur of this lake to hear. --Shelley.

My punishment is greater than I can bear. --Gen. iv. 13.

9. To gain or win. [Obs.]

Some think to bear it by speaking a great word. --Bacon.

She was . . . found not guilty, through bearing of friends and bribing of the judge. --Latimer.

10. To sustain, or be answerable for, as blame, expense, responsibility, etc.

He shall bear their iniquities. --Is. liii. 11.

Somewhat that will bear your charges. --Dryden.

1. To render or give; to bring forward. ``Your testimony bear'' --Dryden.

12. To carry on, or maintain; to have. ``The credit of bearing a part in the conversation.'' --Locke.

13. To admit or be capable of; that is, to suffer or sustain without violence, injury, or change.

In all criminal cases the most favorable interpretation should be put on words that they can possibly bear. --Swift.

14. To manage, wield, or direct. ``Thus must thou thy body bear.'' --Shak. Hence: To behave; to conduct.

Hath he borne himself penitently in prison ? --Shak.

15. To afford; to be to; to supply with.

His faithful dog shall bear him company. --Pope.

16. To bring forth or produce; to yield; as, to bear apples; to bear children; to bear interest.

Here dwelt the man divine whom Samos bore. --Dryden.

Note: In the passive form of this verb, the best modern usage restricts the past participle born to the sense of brought forth, while borne is used in the other senses of the word. In the active form, borne alone is used as the past participle.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:36 pm
Your right....please forgive me mistake. Dufus. Look that one up... :wink: that's me...
0 Replies