Karl Rove Leaving the White House (WSJ)

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:58 am
Filed at 4:59 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Karl Rove, a political adviser to President George W. Bush and a lightning rod for anger among Democrats, will leave the White House at the end of this month, Rove told the Wall Street Journal.

"I just think it's time," Rove said in an interview with the newspaper published today.

"There's always something that can keep you here, and as much as I'd like to be here, I've got to do this for the sake of my family."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,434 • Replies: 63
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 04:07 am
So, he leaves, but is anything resolved? I think not.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 04:30 am
That thing that you are holding in your hands, the same thing I am holding in my hands, the same thing the American people are holding in their hands.....?

Joe(It's the bag, buddy, we are left holding the bag.)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 04:53 am
His family? He's leaving for the sake of his family? Does he mean so that his family won't have to see him be investigated for so many things?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:20 am
No doubt it is a move to distance him from the politicalization of the DOJ. Hopefully, this means they are getting closer in that investigation.

Wha? Rove isn't even in the White House, how could he be responsible for.....?

A little late, but they'll try it. And, who thinks that just because he moves his office he won't be involved at the same level?

Oh, he's taking his computer with him? Uh-huh.

S(When did I become a pessimist?)quinney
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:13 am
I don't know, I think there's really just nothing for him to do there. He needs to find a way to involve himself in the next election. Bush is a lame duck and he really doesn't have any use for Rove's skills anymore.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
That's a good point, FreeDuck.

Yeah, I'm happy to see him go ("more time with his family"? yeah, right) but I don't necessarily think that means he'll stop doing anything. Maybe officially, maybe unofficially. (His brand of advising is pretty easy to do unofficially, I think.)

By the way I'm not totally convinced that he's an evil genius. I think HE thinks he is, but he failed pretty thoroughly in 2006 and I think other victories could have been due to situations outside his control, rather than his manipulations.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:59 am
He has used up every resource and gained every advantage he can and so he is moving on.

That's what locusts do, when there's less advantage than the energy it takes to harvest it, they move on.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:07 am
I thought after re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titantic, it was women and children first.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:09 am
snood wrote:
His family? He's leaving for the sake of his family? Does he mean so that his family won't have to see him be investigated for so many things?

Aha! But as a private citizen he has given up immunity to testify -- it will be a lot easier to get to him through the courts.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
Surely he's aware of that.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:38 am
BBB
If Bush wants any advice, all he has to do is to call Karl Rove in Texas. He won't be out of the loop.

It's for the money! I think Karl Rove is leaving because he wants to re-establish his consulting firm in Texas in time to work on the 2008 political campaigns. Follow the money!

BBB
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:43 am
Lightwizard wrote:
snood wrote:

Aha! But as a private citizen he has given up immunity to testify -- it will be a lot easier to get to him through the courts.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Look at Harriet Miers...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:50 am
Certainly a surprise to see this headline this morning. There seem to be a substantial number of WH staff whose families are in need of loving attention these days.

The matter of legal jeopardy for Rove himself will have been, as brand x suggests, worked over backwards and sideways by teams of lawyers. As will legal considerations related to Rove's activities as they impact (legally) others in the WH. Likewise, analyses of the political consequences in 2008 of Rove staying or leaving, and when that ought best to be announced/implemented.

I imagine every pundit will immediately begin weaving his/her own set of notions even if the real set of factors/motives remain invisibile or unclear.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:53 am
If Karl Rove is going home to dispense love to his family.... well... my sympathies to Ms. Rove...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 09:02 am
Harriet Miers refusal to testify through her attorney after an order by Bush not to because of executive immunity was only on July 12. It remains to be seen if she gets aways with it. Congress is seeking criminal contempt charges.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:57 am
Time to go work on the next round of campaigns.

(or so the mags have been saying for at least the last 6 - 9 months)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:16 am
Wasn't there a question long ago about him having an office at the White House to begin with?

Certainly we all know (sorry, 2/3rds of us know) there is a strategic reason for the change that will become clear fairly soon. I know with 100% confidence that it has nothing to do with his family.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:19 am
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/roveresignsku4.jpg

Rove say's goodbye!

Mr Bush will obviously perform better as US president with-out his brain.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:56 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
snood wrote:

Will also be a lot faster to get him into and through the courts and justice system, just in time for a farewell pardon from his buddy in the Whitehouse as a thank you for taking the bullet for the Bush cabal.

Rove will Scooter through the Gonzales system with ease while Bush adMeyers the loyalty of the gang that have Cheneyed themselves to him. God will tell him to bless them all with a pardon and a barbecue at his ranch.
0 Replies