Merv Griffin is dead

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:11 am
Kansas85 wrote:
some game shows"???

Kansas, it seems that you've found some other posters here who recognize Mr. Griffin for his contributions. Good on ya for stickin' up for him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:16 am
I don't watch much tv, but I did see some interviews with people who have known Merv Griffin. Not one word of negative was ever spoken or even suggested.

One usually doesn't give much credibility to such rhetoric for somebody that just passed on, but I've seen what I call "sincerity" in their comments and body language.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:28 pm
Quote:
Merv was playing both sides of the street during the marriage which should prick up some ears. Nearly all of his staff were gay men, not that that is unusual in Hollywood.

So I guess it's finally out of the bag that he was gay? Like that ship hasn't already sailed! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:36 pm
I'm not sure why some people are concerned about their private lives that didn't harm anyone. His reputation of being a good person should supercede anything of some people's wishing to muddy it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:39 pm
Didn't Merv Griffin kill a bunch of puppies back in '87?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:49 pm
gus, They were embryos.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:55 pm
Quote:
I'm not sure why some people are concerned about their private lives that didn't harm anyone.

I never said his being gay harmed anyone. Please relax.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:57 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm not sure why some people are concerned about their private lives that didn't harm anyone. His reputation of being a good person should supercede anything of some people's wishing to muddy it.

It only muddies a reputation for those who are bigots to begin with. Merv was also politically conservative.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:58 pm
No, but your sentecne wasn't anything close to complimentary of Merv Griffin.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
As Merv would say, "Ooooooooooo!!!"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:56 am
I have never complimented anyone who is gay but is married straight and playing around on the side. Merv was not perfect and I still have difficulty understanding gays who are conservative Republicans.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:15 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I have never complimented anyone who is gay but is married straight and playing around on the side. Merv was not perfect and I still have difficulty understanding gays who are conservative Republicans.

Some of the more basic confusions of human thinking and beliefs. I doubt very much these things will ever be resolved to our satisfaction.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:53 am
Lightwizard wrote:
. . . I still have difficulty understanding gays who are conservative Republicans.

They're not gay-hating social conservative (i.e. conservation of traditional morality and social structures) Republicans, though, are they? In this day and age?

I would think that in Merv's time there was a lot of self-denial, and self-hatred, but I think society in general is more liberal now in its tolerance of alternative lifestyles than it was in Merv's time.

I would think gay conservative Republicans of today would be more along the lines of economic, and political--such as foreign policy, and nationalism--conservatives than they would be social conservatives.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:32 am
True, the gays have created a "sect" within the Republican party, the Log Cabin Republicans, and Andrew Sullivan is more-or-less the spearhead of the movement.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:35 pm
Are they (Gay Republicans) called the "I-Got-Mine" sect of the party or is that a redundancy?
0 Replies