http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usiraqmilitarydraft
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,673 • Replies: 35
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:44 pm
he wants societal burdens to be shared equally?

f*&king commie.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:54 pm
I'm surprised to hear this coming from Lute - he hasn't said much for long time.

Wonder what's behind it

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:07 pm
There is alot of that going around apparently...Mark Finelli who was in the WTC towers on 911 is calling for it as well. He has been on the circuit since at least July... he quit his job and became a Marine and is pushing pretty hard for it as well.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:27 pm
not my cub...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:31 pm
mine either...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:18 am
Who is calling Lute the war czar? The WH has been searching for someone to assume a post with this title but have not found anyone dumb enough to accept the post. Perhaps it was just easier to slap this label on the back of Lute...like "Kick me!"

My understanding is that everybody at senior levels of military and government (related to military) are seriously concerned about the declining state of the US military now. That goes much beyond personnel problems but personnel must be central to their concerns.

Compulsory service has appealing aspects, even for a liberal and pacifist-leaner such as myself given that such duty can be served in other than soldiering capacities. On the other hand, I really would not want to see it come to pass within a community as militarized and war-happy as the modern US has become.

But it won't happen, in any forseeable circumstance, because:
a) the political calculations trump all else, particularly with this present administration, and electoral losses will be absolutely crushing if the policy comes up even for serious discussion, and

b) it serves numerous corporate interests if military/logistics functions are further moved over into the private sphere
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:21 am
Not my son.
We'd move to Canada.

or the Bahamas.

Yeah, the Bahamas. Might as well be warm.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:18 am
happycat wrote:
Not my son.
We'd move to Canada.

or the Bahamas.

Yeah, the Bahamas. Might as well be warm.

So for the "right" reason, you would still not defend your Nation?

Go now, coward and take your son with you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:24 am
Thank god you're still with us, woiyo. I was profoundly worried that the following tragedy involved you.
Quote:
Police: 2 Neighbors Killed Each Other

August 17,2007 | ANDERSONVILLE, Ind. -- Two neighbors in rural eastern Indiana apparently shot and killed each other during a dispute, police said.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:27 am
blatham wrote:
Thank god you're still with us, woiyo. I was profoundly worried that the following tragedy involved you.
Quote:
Police: 2 Neighbors Killed Each Other

August 17,2007 | ANDERSONVILLE, Ind. -- Two neighbors in rural eastern Indiana apparently shot and killed each other during a dispute, police said.

Just back from vacation, that's all. I warms my heart to know you miss me, but good to see you are the same a-hole as I left you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:51 am
While I oppose the draft right now,it sems reasonable to me that if a person wants to get the benefits of living in the US,that person should also be willing to be called upon to help defend it.

If you arent willing to do that,maybe you should leave the country permanently.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:18 am
mysteryman wrote:
While I oppose the draft right now,it sems reasonable to me that if a person wants to get the benefits of living in the US,that person should also be willing to be called upon to help defend it.

Can we forward this to all of our politicians that bailed on serving in Vietnam through cronyism?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:00 am
I think anyone of consicense would defend our country from foreign invaders. But I don't equate that with defending Iraq, Germany,Japan, and Israel since they are many thousands of miles from our borders. Bush and his cohorts didn't think it important to go to Vietnam.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:58 am
DrewDad wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Can we forward this to all of our politicians that bailed on serving in Vietnam through cronyism?

As long as you forward it to EVERY politician,on both sides of the aisle,then yes you can.

rabel,
Most of the foreign bases we have are leftovers from the cold war,when defending those countries from the Soviets WAS defending the US,because of the supposed threat to all democracies by the USSR.

I do agree that we dont need all those bases overseas now,but that doesnt mean that we should immediately close them all.
Many of those bases support the local economies (just like they do here in the States),and to close them would destroy those economies.
As an example,look at the old USN base in Subic Bay.
The base closed and the town died.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:11 pm
Our actions in Iraq are not in defense of our country, but are endangering our country. Iraq is now a breeding ground for terrorists, who are fanning out throughout the world. Our own intelligence agencies said this.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:58 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but the cold war ended in 1988. So what relevance does your post about the cold war have with todays history.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:42 pm
I wonder how many conservatives would continue to support Bush's Iraq war if there was conscription?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:29 am
Gen Lute did not call for a draft.

He indicated that it was a military option, but it was a political decision.

He did seem to suggest that he might be in favor of a draft, but this is hardly the same as The War Czar Calls for the Draft!

As a military man he is faced with the operational problem of a military spread too thin. Recruitment is down, understandably, because enlistment is currently a one way ticket to Iraq. The operational problem could be easily solved by a draft.

Lute does not set policy.

Those who would suggest that he has called for a draft and that such a call is somehow significant, would be constant if they endorsed, supported or gave full credence to all of the other positions Lute has taken.

Of course, they will not.

Tempest in a tea pot, fanned by Democrats and Liberals.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 05:17 pm
You calling Oralloy a Democrat and a Liberal now?
That's a bit of a stretch.
0 Replies