Should I feel guilty?

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:03 pm
I know some will answer my question fairly easily, if you feel guilty there is a reason. However, I'm not sure. Here's the situation:

My husband and I separated 9 months ago. We have a three year old child. We share custody 50/50 of our child. Where we each have her a few days a week, not going more than 2/3 days w/o seeing her in between. Since the separation (I left), we have both met someone. I have not introduced the person I met as my "boyfriend" to her, only as a friend. We occasionally hang out with, and do things together. We do not hold hands, kiss, etc. in front of her. I'm not sure what my husband's interaction is with his new girlfriend, but I can almost guarantee, they do not hold back. So now that you have some background, here's the issue at hand. My boyfriend's parents paid for and invited us to go to their beach cottage for a week. I do not have much money, and it is basically a free trip. The only problem is that I can't (or feel like I shouldn't) take my child. Firstly because my child is not familiar with his parents and I think would be uncomfortable being around "strangers" for an entire week. Secondly because I do not want my first vacation with him and his family to be awkward with us not being able to interact as we normally would, or to risk upsetting her that many miles away from home. And lastly because I know she would begin to miss her Dad, maybe not as much if it were just her and I, but being around others that she is not comfortable around, I think she would start to get homesick. And I guess, I should be honest here and say that this will probably be the only oportunity that my boyfriend and I will ever have to be together for an entire week, expenses paid, alone. We are both in shcool, work full time, etc.

My husband has agreed to keep her that week (of course after giving me the "you are so selfish" speech) and decided that he and his girlfriend (who between the two of them have waaaay more money than I) will take her to the beach that week. Great, I'm glad she'll be having fun! I'm not jealous at all that I'm not going to be able to take her. I took her on several day trips this summer and plan to try and get her for an entire week when I return, even though I won't be able to take off work again to take her somewhere like the beach, we can still make up for the time I didn't get to see her.

So if anyone made it through all of that....would you go? Would you feel bad the entire time (aside from missing her, because I will do that anyway). But will you feel bad in a sense that you shouldn't have gone without her, or that you are being selfish?

I worry a lot...and second guess myself a lot. I've also been through a lot the past 9 months, and even past 5 years. I haven't taken a vacation for over 7 years. I really need this and am looking forward to it...but this little place within me is saying "BAD MOMMY!!!!". Am I???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,600 • Replies: 34
No top replies

massmutual

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:36 pm
just go and have a good time, best thing you can do for yer kid is stop stressin' yourself !!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
Re: Should I feel guilty?
soakITup wrote:
My husband and I separated 9 months ago. We have a three year old child. We share custody 50/50 of our child. Where we each have her a few days a week, not going more than 2/3 days w/o seeing her in between.

This is the only thing that concerns me. If the trip to the beach cottage were in that usual 2/3 day span, I think it'd be a no-brainer. (Go, have fun.) A jump to a whole week of separation might be rough on her, though. I'm not sure -- you know best, here.

One thing I don't really get is that first you say you're worried about how your daughter would deal with being with your boyfriend's parents for a week, then you say that you and your boyfriend will be alone...?

I'm not sure of distances -- is there any possibility of your daughter joining you for just part of the trip, and then you guys having the rest of the time on your own?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:48 pm
I think you should go, too. Your daughter will be with her dad and maybe you can phone her while you're gone.

We all need time for ourselves, and this appears to be one of those times.

Don't deny your needs, too. You are 1/2 of the relationship with your daughter and she is only 3. You have many more years of these questions ahead of you. Figure it out now and make it easier on yourself. Of course you deserve some time with your boyfriend or even just without her. It's natural.

And like I said, she'll be with her daddy. Have fun!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:48 pm
SoaklTup--

Welcome to A2K.

I'd go enjoy myself with a clear conscience. Since your daughter will be with people she knows well in a new and exciting place, she will survive the week without you.

Your time away will make you a better mother when you two are reunited.
0 Replies

soakITup

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:53 pm
Thanks so much for the quick replies. I feel a lot better. The beach we are going to is 7 hours away, because I too thought about taking her for a few days, and then bringing her back....but it would just be sort of impossible. His parents are going, when I said "alone" I meant he and I without my daughter.

I think most of my guilt is being fueled by comments others have made to me "I can't believe you could leave her for that long...I could never do that"...etc. Plus, I've NEVER been away from her for an entire week. 2/3 days is bad enough. But I will be able to call her everyday, and she will be with her Daddy having a blast (probably forgetting I exsist, lol)...I think I'll go and try to make the best of it. I need to learn that being a Mommy doesn't mean being perfect, but it's hard not to want to be perfect for your kids. I think after a week away from everything I will be refreshed and ready to face anything. And with a PT fall semster and full time job coming up...I'm going to need it!

Thanks again for the well wishes and speedy reassurances. I appreciate it. Maybe I'll update and say how the trip was, and how we all faired.
0 Replies

soakITup

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:57 pm
And thanks for the welcome...this is a great board! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:57 am
SoaklTup--

Have a wonderful time. Let us know about your joyous reunion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:14 am
There is nothing to feel guilty about and nothing selfish about having a week's vacation without your child. You made sure she is in safe and loving care during your vacation. You will probably be an even better mommy by having some time away from responsibilities. I honestly think you are making a very thoughtful decision for you, your boyfriend and daughter. You're daughter would probably love having some daddy and daughter time and you will have a well deserved vacation. What is wrong with that?

If I were you - I would have the time of life - call her every day to talk about her day and your day and let her know how much you love and miss her. And then bring her home a little surprise.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:40 am
I'm agreeing with those saying you should go, have a great time and don't feel guilty. Of course you'll miss each other but call her and let her know how much you miss her and let her know it's OK for her to spend a week with her dad. A week really isn't that long compared to the time you've already devoted to her.
You deserve to have this vacation. Everyone needs time to unwind and in the long run this will probably be best for both you and your daughter.
And don't let anyone make you feel badly for doing this. She'll be in her father's care while you're gone. It's not like you're leaving her with a babysitter.
Also, do you have any extended family near her?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:51 am
I can understand you having second thoughts about it. What good mother wouldn't? But I have to join the chorus here. Go. Have a good time. Bring the baby back a little something, thank your ex for being there (you shouldn't have to thank him but be magnanimous anyway. no skin off your nose, right?), and feel better about clearing another hurdle.
Have fun. Very Happy
0 Replies

soakITup

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:32 am
Wow, I can't believe all the sweet reassuring replies I've gotten! I am feeling pretty good about this whole thing now. I definitely feel better knowing she will be with her Daddy, that alone makes it easier. Plus in the general scheme of things a week isn't that long...just seems like it for me. If I had to leave her with someone in my family, or a babysitter I would NOT be going, or at least not for an entire week.

I do have extended family near by, but she will also be at the beach with her Dad while I'm at another beach. The one she's going to is about 3 hrs. from home and the one I'm going to is 7-8 hrs. from home. I hope she doesn't get home sick or anything, but she should be fine with her Dad and his girlfriend who she seems to adore.

The one thing I am still a little worried about is hoping he will answer my calls while we are apart and let me talk to her. I asked her this morning if she would miss Mommy next week and she said "a little Mommy, but not too much, cause I will see you soon". Haha, she has better sense than her Momma it appears.

Thanks again for the well wishes and all. You guys are a welcoming crew.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:41 am
That's so cute! Young children are much more perceptive and intelligent than most give them credit for.

As far as the phone calls - could you ask her daddy if you could set up a certain time each day to call that would be convenient for him?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:41 am
Ha! From the mouths of babes... Laughing
0 Replies

soakITup

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:07 am
Just another cute thing she said today. When I told her I'd call her everyday to see how her day went and so she could tell me all about the beach, she said - "Okay Mommy, but I might not be able to hold the phone because my hands might be all sandy". Haha! She is very excited to go back to the beach (I took her last weekend for two nights). She has had one fun filled summer!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:11 am
Sounds good! Having her go do something fun, too, sounds like it will help a lot. Something for her to focus on and look forward to.
0 Replies

massmutual

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:28 am
Quote:
I think most of my guilt is being fueled by comments others have made to me "I can't believe you could leave her for that long...I could never do that"...etc.

I been wondering about that, who are the people who said that?

no friends of yours, soakITup, be careful
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 12:15 pm
I wouldn't go so far to say that, that these people aren't your friends because they most certainly can be your friends, caring and loving friends, but people have different ideas about child rearing and responsibility and please, everyone knows at least one ridiculous 'supermom'. They aren't bad people. Just overzealous. And annoyingly self-righteous at times.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
A lot of people equate "Good Motherhood" with making a child's security completely dependent on one person.

This is a dangerous perversion.
0 Replies

massmutual

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
sorry shoula vbeen more careful

what eoe said goes for me too
0 Replies