Mysteries to me

neologist

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 02:31 pm
Stick around, mismi. Your opinions are always welcome.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:44 pm
echi wrote:
Is that what you're up to then? Trying to convince others that you're right? (In that case I would agree with your husband, as you apparently have no rational argument to make. :wink: )

BTW Razz :wink: I think you are the one who is not rational...after all - If you are right...I have nothing to worry about...but if I am right...well...

Thank you very much Neo! Very Happy
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:00 pm
mismi40 wrote:
Well...let me put it this way - then I am letting it lie...Maybe...you just never know. If I truly believe what I am saying, then how much could I say I was showing the love of God if I did not make my best effort? If I believe that there is a Heaven and a Hell...and if Heaven is living eternity in peace and joy and Hell is an eternity of darkness and misery then shouldn't I try to let others know? Shouldn't I try to make them understand and come to know that there is a way to know you can have that gift? If I didn't believe it, why would I waste my breath (typing) coming here and being harassed? Because it is very obvious I am outwitted here and it seems mostly in the minority.

I read the threads and am totally dumbfounded by the amazing depth of logic and knowledge. But - though I may not be logical or brilliant (I am smart and quite sharp - if I do say so myself) I mostly care about people. I just think if I say I believe something - I should practice it and try to help people understand what I do. If I didn't I would not give a lick what you thought. So that being said - I am not here to offend or debate really. Just to clarify and try to help someone feel the way I do. I love God - I am blessed by him. I want others to know it as well...

Most think that is a bunch of sentimental schmuck...but, well...it is, I guess...I gush about my kids, because I love them so much...why wouldn't it be the same about anything I love?

I think you are smart. You have eloquently put into words what I have not been able to. Welcome to a2k
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:10 pm
Thanks so much Bartikus! I am enjoying it so much! I am learning so much....

Have a great weekend all...I am going to settle these younguns down for bed and watch a movie!
0 Replies

GlassEmpty

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm
okay I read up tp page three and got bored
So I'm just going to say what I want and correct me please if you have already discussed this. If I can sin in Heaven, and if there are wars in Heaven, then, why oh why, do I want to go there? It's just like Earth.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 12:55 pm
Re: okay I read up tp page three and got bored
GlassEmpty wrote:
So I'm just going to say what I want and correct me please if you have already discussed this. If I can sin in Heaven, and if there are wars in Heaven, then, why oh why, do I want to go there? It's just like Earth.

Very Happy Seek and ye shall find
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 01:11 pm
What if you can sin in heaven... but there are no wars.

That would be a heaven worth going to.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 01:22 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

So do you think that allowing murder and theft and rape could never lead to fighting and revenge, and ultimately, to war? A rather naive view, isn't it?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:14 pm
real life wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

So do you think that allowing murder and theft and rape could never lead to fighting and revenge, and ultimately, to war? A rather naive view, isn't it?

Actually, I think you're the one being naive. If there is an all-knowing, all-seeing god who made everything and can do anything, what makes you believe he or she couldn't pull off creating a heaven where sins have no consequences?

What are you, some kind of doubting Thomas?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:22 pm
I have never been that tempted by murder or rape ... and in heaven theft would probably be unnecessary (although I am sure it could be arranged for someone who really enjoyed it).

I was thinking more along the lines of a little harmless fornication and drunkenness.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:46 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I have never been that tempted by murder or rape ... and in heaven theft would probably be unnecessary (although I am sure it could be arranged for someone who really enjoyed it).

I was thinking more along the lines of a little harmless fornication and drunkenness.

You might think drunkenness is harmless until your best friend is run down by a drunk driver.

We could fill many volumes with the harm caused by drunken people. Are you unaware of any of this?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:50 pm
real life wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

You might think drunkenness is harmless until your best friend is run down by a drunk driver.

We could fill many volumes with the harm caused by drunken people. Are you unaware of any of this?

You don't get it... we are talking about Heaven here!

Heaven is where you can indulge in drunkenness without worrying about running down anyone.

On Earth, when you get drunk you run the risk of hurting someone... but not in Heaven.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:00 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
real life wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

You don't get it... we are talking about Heaven here!

Heaven is where you can indulge in drunkenness without worrying about running down anyone.

On Earth, when you get drunk you run the risk of hurting someone... but not in Heaven.

I think you don't get it.

You seem to accept the idea that some behaviors (rape) would be harmful under any circumstances, but that other behaviors (drunkenness) couldn't be.

How about sins like assault and battery, hatred, etc. Do you think they would be consequence free in your heaven?

I still see your view as rather naive.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:09 pm
My main point in this thread has been about free will. I think it is inconceivable that the people in heaven lose the ability to sin. If you can not sin in heaven... then you have lost your humanity. It won't be you that is in heaven... it will only be a shell of the former you.

People without the ability to sin aren't people, they are robots.

That being said... the link between sin and consequences is tenuous even on Earth.

There are many types of consensual relationships between adults that are positive experiences for all involved even though (technically speaking) they are sin.

There are many relationships between human beings that are destructive and harmful even though they are not sin.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:19 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
My main point in this thread has been about free will. I think it is inconceivable that the people in heaven lose the ability to sin. If you can not sin in heaven... then you have lost your humanity. It won't be you that is in heaven... it will only be a shell of the former you.

People without the ability to sin aren't people, they are robots.

If you love someone, you will not want to harm or offend them , even to the point of laying aside your own desires in favor of maintaining that love relationship. Do you agree?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:26 pm
Yes I agree...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:34 pm
Then there won't be sin in Heaven, will there?

As Heaven is a place of perfect love, sin would have no place.

The fact that you, in order to please yourself, would apparently like to redefine what is and isn't sin, doesn't really change what ACTUALLY is and isn't sin.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:40 pm
... if you by "laying aside your desires" you mean that I am willing to deny myself a pleasure I would enjoy.

If by "laying aside your desires" you mean something akin to a lobotomy... where I would excise the desires that are part of being human, then I disagree.

I am faithful to my wife because I love her-- not because I no longer have the desire for more sex. The fact that she is faithful to me-- even though she has the opportunity to be with others-- means all the more.

Being married to a robot-- who was unable to hurt me, wouldn't mean nearly as much.

Love only has meaning if it is a choice. Without the ability to be unfaithful, faithfulness means nothing.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:52 pm
Your idea of "perfect love" seems to be akin to a lobotomy. It will take away my ability to do anything that isn't "perfect".

If I have no ability to be anything less than loving... then love ceases to be a choice and becomes a program. I become a "loving" machine... always "loving" as I am programmed to "love" without any choice and without wavering.

I wouldn't want a relationship with someone who was programmed to please me and had no choice in the matter.

I prefer to be loved for real by a human being out of her own free will.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:53 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
... if you by "laying aside your desires" you mean that I am willing to deny myself a pleasure I would enjoy.

If by "laying aside your desires" you mean something akin to a lobotomy... where I would excise the desires that are part of being human, then I disagree.

I am faithful to my wife because I love her-- not because I no longer have the desire for more sex. The fact that she is faithful to me-- even though she has the opportunity to be with others-- means all the more.

Being married to a robot-- who was unable to hurt me, wouldn't mean nearly as much.

Love only has meaning if it is a choice. Without the ability to be unfaithful, faithfulness means nothing.

Is physical faithfulness the only thing that matters?

If you are physically faithful, but always considering the possibility of being unfaithful, are you really faithful?

Isn't true faithfulness when you won't even entertain the idea of unfaithfulness?
0 Replies