SPREAD HUMAN DNA To Other Celestial Bodies ?

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:00 am
The Earth has been hit by large n heavy objects from above,
1000s of times.

Was the last time that we were hit the last time we will be hit ?

We know, from history and pre-history, that getting hit from above
with big, heavy objects can cause mass extinctions.

Will the next mass extinction involve us ?

I do not believe that we r devoting enuf financial resources,
nor enuf time nor attention to preserving human DNA from extinction
by moving it to a greater number of celestial bodies and many artificial space stations.
We shud multiply NASA 's budget by a huge number

It took A WHILE for human DNA to evolve.
Shud we risk it ?
and just let it re-evolve again from basic amino acids ?
I don 't think so.

We owe it to ourselves to preserve human DNA
by moving some of it to other celestial bodies and space stations within this solar system.

Congress shud offer big financial incentives to private development
of space travel and colonization, within reach.
David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,446 • Replies: 22
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:03 am
Put down the bottle, David. It's morning.
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:59 pm
SPREAD HUMAN DNA To Other Celestial Bodies or as you correctly impune:

wank and point your gonads toward the sky;
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:17 pm
'Kurt Vonnegut made a better case for it in "The Big Space ****."

Seriously.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:01 am
DNA isnt alive. If we send it to outer space we would have a decision.

1Do we want it sent as a liquid or as a crystal?

If we send it as a crystal we have another decision,

1How do we preserve it from decay over the long distances, or keep it vible for how ma.ny millions of centuries (unless you say we can go light speed)

If we send it as a liquid we have a nother decision

1How do we keep it a liquid and how do we reconstitute it? and why?

If we have answered these,(among a whole slew of others) we need to answer, What are we gonna expect it to do all by itself? Its just a long chain protein that needs a wet cell and a series of linkage commands in which to work. SO we need to make another decision
1what medium shall we send in its adjoining bottles to create a c ell and a cell wall?(there are literally hundreds of cell combinations from fatty organics to Sulfur oozes to silicate layered cells)

Then we need to pose the question for the biggest answer of all
How are we gonna be there to state "Let there be light"

On the other hand, as e get smarter and smarter I can see sending some extremophilic bacteria strains and let the whole thing start over, but saving human DNA asd cmponents to these extremophiles, like splicing a HOx gene onto a plant cell.,,
Just matbe, when we develop a successful cryogenic system to freeze and defrost a group of travellers set on a pre-programmed trajectory with some cosmic azimuth we might succeed. And, wed also have to do the same with plants and animals, sort of an ARk , except for real.(REMEMBER its millions of centuries) Alpha Centauri alone is gonna take about20000 years to reach at present technology. We need to hurry up on develioping better propulsion. Or else the Fermi paradox is a limiting factor to interstellar travel

Also, Id wanna hedge my outcomes by having a host of these (ARKS) ships all going in different directions . Information and knowledge isnt a big deal, we already have the technology to put most of our "present" knowledge inside a large bus full of CDs.

I think my only problem, and Im not qaulified in any of this, but, Im afraid that wed have to work on a system that allowed our bodily fluids to freeze without cell damage. Wed need to develop a bodily fluid capacity to swap some of our oxygen holding capability with a sort of "antifreeze" where we could rapidly freeze our cells and wouldnt have any damage when defrosting. There are some reptiles , amphibians, and fish hat have develi=oped this, but no mammals that Im aware of. Tuna fish are "sort of " warm blooded and tuna sprats have been frozen and brought back to life just like spring peepers or "ice fish'.
Hibernating animals, like birds and mammas,rely on constant temperature dens or "buddy warmth" for maintenance of torpor (but not freezing)

Just random thoughts, not so sure Id opt for DNA travel, unless you jmerely want to save it as a record. In that case, we could just as easy make a CD notebook, (no bigger than a suitcase) and store all of enough genetic variability as a gift to someone who could remanufacture a human. (Of course, They would need a set of standard specs besides)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:36 am
flakker wrote:
SPREAD HUMAN DNA To Other Celestial Bodies or as you correctly impune:

wank and point your gonads toward the sky;

Precisely what I thought.

Here's my genetic contribution to the univeeeeeerrrrrsssssssseeeeeeee!

The pope would not approve.

Because every sperm is sacred.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:38 am
Cmon, least hes not trying to arm yer spunk (yet)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 02:14 am
Hay, I got an idea !

How about we send some HUMANS up, to other planets,
with some DNA INSIDE them ?

U think that cud be possible ?

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:

You've spent too much time star grazing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:59 am
when........... can I laugh?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 04:27 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Hay, I got an idea !

How about we send some HUMANS up, to other planets,
with some DNA INSIDE them ?

David

Of course it's possible. It just costs a lot of money. And if you're trying to perpetuate the human species, then you really need to transplant a good portion of the biosphere and start a viable self sustaining colony.

If we're smart we'll get this done within the next thousand years or so. Because sooner or later a natural disaster, whether it be asteroid or super-volcano, is going to spill all the eggs in this basket.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:29 am
If youre talking about staying just inside our cosmic "backyard" of course thats a possibility. We could terraform Mars perhaps. But actualdeep space insertion of our species will not include the actual transport of human receptacles. Waay too much time will be involved.
Perhaps is we discover "Aldersen jump spots" or SUper light travel, otherwise wed be in space for millions of years on rather slow moving ships that will soon be moving slower than needed to actually get anywhere.
We will need to commit asmall planets resources to build a ship large enough to sustain the generations of people whose only function is to serve as receptacles of genetic diversity(unles swe snap freeze them like butter bens) . Sooner or later, human egos being what they are, some realization of a purpose of being would break out and the mission may elect change.

Until the sun burns out, I think itd be wiser to develop some system to destroy or deflect incoming planet killers. We have the knowledge k=now, we merely need the commitment and some for of leadership. That way we could continue to F**ck up this planet till we realize that were fouling our nest and we develop a shared sense of purpose in some kind of sustainability.

Then as our technology builds, perhaps we will discover that the "light barrier" is merely as mathematically cheatable as are magnetic fields.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:47 am
Interesting assumption that we are worth saving to begin with, David.

What makes you think the human race is so necessary? If we were gone, would not another species have a chance to flourish?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:03 am
I love you, squinney. (Don't tell bear.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:03 am
we like to think that some cockroach would safely beprotected beneath a rock as the lanet killer from space does in everything. There may be limits to which life can successfuilly adapt. and overcome.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:14 am
Huge ark type ships, outfitted to sustain generations. They would need to have destinations, but time would be less of a factor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:48 am
Ships as big as planets, i order to keep people from going postal. Its gonna take about 4 to 10 million years travelling at ion propulsion speeds of 200K/ hr in order to reach even neby planet clusters.

Im afraid well have to disarm everyone for the good of the colony.

Imagine 200000 generations that will never know a home planet. This is 10 times longer than modern ma has been on the planet.

I see a major revolution on the star ship which could initiate some self destructive terrorism by blowing holes in the star ships skin and letting the air out.

Naaah, I like the idea of sending out digital "bar codes" of our genomes and plans of our phenotypes .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
Lovin' ya back, dog.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:00 am
Hey, farmer, did god give you any plans for building those ships?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:03 am
we hadnt gotten around to creating a god yet, Om sigs got us on a deadline here and were working like weve gotta get to thestars before this decade is out.
0 Replies