Wallpaper & Real Estate?

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 12:58 am
Boomers house selling thread got me thinking.

Is wallpaper an issue when selling a house? Do people prefer buying a home that's painted?

Mom and I throw around the thought of selling the house whenever the neighbours piss us off, which is a lot, so before I start putting up paper that we bought because we love it, I want to make sure the paper won't be a problem, if we ever decide to move on.

Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,104 • Replies: 25
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 04:56 am
This house is loaded with wallpaper and we can't take it down fast enough. But that has to do with (a) the wallpaper was so poorly put up that it's all peeling and (b) it's all hopelessly out of date although the stuff in the dining room would be acceptable if it wasn't on its last legs.

Otherwise, massive pain, we rip it down when we can but unfortunately that's a huge headache. It's a lot more work to get rid of paper (you have to get all the paper and glue off, plus you may have to sand, before you can paint. You can paper over paper, but eventually it gets to be too much and then you're back to scrape, peel and sand. Feh. Painting over paint is, of course, simple. Just prime and paint, once everything is smooth and particularly in newer homes it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll have a smooth wall surface unless someone has deliberately tried to muck up the texture.

So my only preferences in the area (and I'm no expert and wallpaper, to me, is not a dealbreaker, so take this for what it's worth) would be that wallpaper that's in good shape and not too terribly out of date should be fine. By out of date I'm talking about the stuff we have in the upstairs nook (still no time or energy to take it down). Think 60s flower power but in brown. Ugh. I'll take a pic some day but I'm afraid I'll break the camera.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:51 am
Thanks Jes, and it helps a lot. I have this stuff called size you put on the wall now before you paper, which is suppose to prime the wall for the paper so it peels right off if/when you decide to take it down.
The quality of paper these days is much better, which doesn't hurt.
Also, the paper is very nice and up to date. It's low key, with no crazy stuff going on, with the exception of my bedroom paper. It's kinda funky Laughing

I'll be getting back to work inside as soon as I'm finished working outside, so I'll be sure to take before and after pics of everything I'm doing.

Outside in the summer, inside the rest of the year Cool
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:54 am
My mom is brilliant with wallpaper.

She would choose something and we'd all roll our eyes but once she got it up on the wall it would be jaw dropping beautiful. She really has a knack for it.

Me? I'm a paint girl. Most patterns are visually confusing to me. When I see wallpaper I can't envision what I might be able to hang on the wall because that whole mix and match thing doesn't work in my head. Wallpaper kind of limits what I can imagine for a room.

So, yeah, wallpaper would probably be turn-off for me unless it came with a plane ticket for my mom to help.

Note: I adore those beautiful grass cloth wallpapers. I would gobble up a house with those.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:55 am
I have been to Montana's house and I have seen her bedroom wallpaper....

http://www.abm-enterprises.net/fractal-art/hideous-strength-wallpaper.jpg

There is not a buyer in the world who would not be enthralled with such beauty. Keep it, Montana. Your house will sell in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
When you are looking for a house, wallpaper is fine.........................if it happens to be your taste. I remember when I was looking for a house, I saw one that was furnished in early American. The carpeting was blue, some of the rooms were blue, and there was wallpaper trim that had white duckies and a blue background all over the place.

I thought that it was adorable...........................for someone else.

The house that I bought had a master bath that had wallpaper that was in perfect shape, in a pattern that I loved. The rest of the house was off white.

I think that someone had mentioned on another thread that people want to be able to imagine how THEIR stuff would look in the house. If the walls and floors have a character that is not to their liking, unless they plan to completely redecorate, it will be a turnoff.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:00 am
boomerang wrote:
My mom is brilliant with wallpaper.

She would choose something and we'd all roll our eyes but once she got it up on the wall it would be jaw dropping beautiful. She really has a knack for it.

Me? I'm a paint girl. Most patterns are visually confusing to me. When I see wallpaper I can't envision what I might be able to hang on the wall because that whole mix and match thing doesn't work in my head. Wallpaper kind of limits what I can imagine for a room.

So, yeah, wallpaper would probably be turn-off for me unless it came with a plane ticket for my mom to help.

Note: I adore those beautiful grass cloth wallpapers. I would gobble up a house with those.

I'm totally like your mom. Painting is a pain in my butt, but I truly enjoy putting up paper. I did the living room a few years back and it came out awesome.

I also have lots of painting to do in the house and I dred every minute of it, but when the painting is done, I get all excited when I take out my wallpaper stuff :-D

Thanks, Boomer and good luck with everything you're doing in your home :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:01 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I have been to Montana's house and I have seen her bedroom wallpaper....

http://www.abm-enterprises.net/fractal-art/hideous-strength-wallpaper.jpg

There is not a buyer in the world who would not be enthralled with such beauty. Keep it, Montana. Your house will sell in a heartbeat.

I can't see the picture, Gus Sad
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:02 am
Yes you can.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:04 am
I suppose, here, wallpaper really doesn't matter - you change it, even when only renting, according to your style.

Tiles in the bathroom are different (becuase expensive).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
When you are looking for a house, wallpaper is fine.........................if it happens to be your taste. I remember when I was looking for a house, I saw one that was furnished in early American. The carpeting was blue, some of the rooms were blue, and there was wallpaper trim that had white duckies and a blue background all over the place.

I thought that it was adorable...........................for someone else.

The house that I bought had a master bath that had wallpaper that was in perfect shape, in a pattern that I loved. The rest of the house was off white.

I think that someone had mentioned on another thread that people want to be able to imagine how THEIR stuff would look in the house. If the walls and floors have a character that is not to their liking, unless they plan to completely redecorate, it will be a turnoff.

That makes sense. I know I have to be careful because I can be a little over the top at times, but as I get older, I'm mellowing a bit.

The paper is very nice and I can't imagine many who wouldn't like it, not to mention the fact that the livingroom looks awesome compared to what it did before I papered.

I'm not doing the whole house, so it won't be overwhelming. I'm doing the kitchen, both bathrooms and my bedroom, so the rest will be paint.

Did I say that? Laughing

Thanks Phoenix :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:08 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Yes you can.

No, really, I can't!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:11 am
Here's the link
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:11 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I suppose, here, wallpaper really doesn't matter - you change it, even when only renting, according to your style.

Tiles in the bathroom are different (becuase expensive).

I have some tiles for one of the bathrooms, but it's only for a backsplash behind the bathroom sink. I'll probebly put one in my bathroom as well.

Yes, very expensive. I paid over $100 for the mural tiles I got on ebay and they're more expensive in the stores Shocked
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:12 am
Did you hear what I said, woman?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Here's the link

Won't let me access it Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer