Miller, not knowing what to answer, found a post by Dr. Rob Oliver, who wrote:
Monday, August 06, 2007

For sake of comparison I'll use myself as an example:

* Tuition and living expenses during college ~ $150,000

* Tuition and living expenses during medical school ~ $85,000

* Average wage during my intern year in 1998 ~ $5.80 /hour

* Average wage my 8th year in surgical training in 2005 ~ $9.75 /hour

* Spending ages 22-35 in the library or hospital ~ PRICELE$$

It was not rare to have contemporaries owe more then $250,000 in loans during residency that was accumulating interest at 8%+. Despite commanding salaries that sound impressive, many physicians will not be able to retire that debt until well into their 60's.

See, that would be a totally related topic: universal access to universities.

It seems that in the United States, only people who can afford it can get health insurance. And likewise it seems that only people who have enough dough can go to university.

Which doesn't sound like a system that rewards the brightest. The richest, maybe. Which seems to tell us that the United States have more and more transformed from meritocracy to plutocracy.

But you know, I'm not a US citizen, so all of that doesn't really concern me at all.

<smiles warmly at Miller>
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 12:55 pm
old europe wrote ;

Quote:
And likewise it seems that only people who have enough dough can go to university.

i would sugest that high cost of education - and resulting high student loans - are at least part of the problem in the U.S. - and canada too , perhaps not as severe .

while i'm not completely up-to-date on educational costs in germany , i believe i read somewhere recently that university education is (now ?) free ?

just checked FOCUS magazine and read that many german students are ready to go into debt for their educational goals !?
hbg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:02 pm
hamburger wrote:
while i'm not completely up-to-date on educational costs in germany , i believe i read somewhere recently that university education is (now ?) free ?

Public universities have been virtually free until 2002, according to the Hochschulrahmengesetz. This law has been changed, however, to allow universities to charge students fees of up to €500 per semester.

It's up to the Land whether they want to allow universities to charge fees or not.

More here: Studiengebühren in Deutschland
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 01:59 pm
thanks , old europe !
that's what i read somewhere . so i was surprised to read in a FOCUS(2005) article that german students are apparently willing to go into debt ???
perhaps walter can help us out since the article is in german .
hbg

link to article : FOCUS
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 06:48 pm
hamburger wrote:
thanks , old europe !
that's what i read somewhere . so i was surprised to read in a FOCUS(2005) article that german students are apparently willing to go into debt ???
perhaps walter can help us out since the article is in german .
hbg

link to article : FOCUS

Well..... dunno, really. The article says that students were faced with having to pay up to €650 per month in living expenses and university fees.

I don't doubt that, but if university fees are limited to a maximum of €50 a month, than it's rather a question of whether students are willing to work during semester break or not. I can see that somebody might want to concentrate on university instead, and go into debt in order to finance their cost of living. I doesn't make too much sense to me, but it's everybody's personal decision.

Another reason might be that the BAföG student loans are being tallied as regular debt/credit.

I can see why 66 percent of all students would be willing to take advantage of that kind of financing, if you qualify....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:11 pm
old europe :
of course , i'm not sure exactly what they are talking about .
i thought FOCUS is a fairly reliable magazine ?
perhaps someone else can throw some light on it .
thanks !
hbg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:37 pm
I'd say the FOCUS is a fairly reliable, yes. What about the article surprised you, though?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:25 am
OLD EUROPA QUOTE:

Quote:
I'm not a US citizen, so all of that doesn't really concern me at all.

I dunno!
<smiles warming at old europs>

The light is shining through!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:49 am
old europe wrote:
Richard L. Reece, MD, on Medinnovationblog, via Miller wrote:
Why would any bright young person spend 11 to 15 years preparing for a profession in which systematic fee reductions are guaranteed ?

Idealism.

Too bad idealism doesn't pay the mortgage! If you go to a bank for a home loan, one of the first questions they DON'T ask you is,
"How idealistic are you"?

<SMILES WARMLY AT OLD EUROPE>
0 Replies