Which sentence is better?

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:56 am
Why are seminars often held on Wednesdays?

Why do they always hold seminars on Wednesdays?

I believe both sentences are correct. But which sentence sounds better to a native speaker?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 441 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:44 am
They have slightly different meanings.

"Often" means one thing, "always" means another.

They are both perfectly normal sentences, and they both sound fine to a native speaker.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:50 am
in your first question you're asking about seminars.....

in the second you're asking about "them" whoever "they " are, so the two sentences are actually dealing with different subjects...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:32 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
in your first question you're asking about seminars.....

in the second you're asking about "them" whoever "they " are, so the two sentences are actually dealing with different subjects...

No they aren't. Both sentences are about the frequency with which seminars occur on Wednesdays. In ordinary spoken English, the passive voice is generally avoided. (It is often deprecated in written English also these days.) In order to cope with this, a hypothetical or unspecified "they" is used.

Why do they run so few buses on Sundays?

is preferred to

Why are so few buses run on Sundays?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:28 pm
I agree that the second sentence can hold different meanings. It just depends on the emphasis. But if we're looking at this example the way we've looked at previous ones, we're to assume the meaning is the same; therefore, to answer:

Why are seminars often held on Wednesdays?

Why do they always hold seminars on Wednesdays?

Some people would be more comfortable with the first, and others with the second. I think the second one, however, would be more widely used. The first is in the passive voice, as well, or is it impersonal passive? Either way, it is not as used, I believe.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:53 pm
Mame wrote:
But if we're looking at this example the way we've looked at previous ones, we're to assume the meaning is the same

The meanings are not the same. The first sentence expresses curiosity about why seminars are often (frequently, many times) held on Wednesdays.

The second sentence expresses curiosity about why seminars are always (without exception) held on Wednesdays.

In either case it is a possibility that seminars are held on other days of the week.
0 Replies