NFL 2007/8 A2K Road to Phoenix-The Duel In the Desert

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 08:52 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Good evening to everyone. I may be busy next week with my architect and the city people, so here goes, JPB, with the list of folks who have indicated an interest in playing this year. I have, alas, only abbreviations of some of the folk's screen names.
Realjohnboy (who finished tied for 11th of 18 last year); Sublime (3rd); JPB (15th); Liontamerx (6th); Panzade (14th); Osso (7th); Maporsh (*New this year); Gus (*New); Jespah (17th); Ragman (*New); Edgar (*New); Region (7th); Wandejw (*New); Tico (11th); Pantalones (7th); Ehbeth (*New)); Jpinmilw (4th); Cjhsa (18th); Cyclop (*New); George (16th); Cowdoc (2nd); and Ms Cowdoc (10th).
22 so far.
Start laying out the chart, JPB!

Chart? You're talking to a statistician -- we've got ourselves a database, baby.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
CowDoc -- does T have a login for her picks, or will they be under your account? If they will be under your account, does she want to be charted as Mrs CowDoc or would she prefer something else?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:25 am
JPB: You may want to consider, perhaps, a slight rule change because of the increased number of players. In the past, in addition to picking the winner in each game, we would predict the TOTAL number of points scored in the Monday game. A couple of times this attempt came close to not working as a tie-breaker in determining a weekly winner.
So faced with Indy @ Tenn, as the Monday night game, someone might say: Indy (27).
I see that Yahoo (with thousands of players) has a multi-level tie-breaking system, all of which seem to involve picking the SCORE in that last game. So faced with Indy @ Tenn, folks might still say Indy, but followed by (14-13).
The tiebreaker would still use TOTAL points as the first determiner of the weekly winner but then you could move on to the person closest to the winning team's points or the person closest to the home team's points.
Whatever criteria you put in place would NOT dramatically affect what is expected of players, but would give you a defined path for ruling on who wins a particular week.
I am just tossing that out for whatever it is worth. I noticed it becoming an issue with 18 players. As we get up to 24 or whatever, it will become more of an issue.

Thanks for taking this over. It should be amusing. -realjohn(cheez-whiz and PBR is a balanced diet)boy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
Thanks, rjb. I'd actually forgotten to put the tie-breaker into the database. It's there now. Here's the yahoo list

Quote:
1. Closest to the total points for Monday night's game.
2. Closest to the home team points for Monday night's game.
3. Closest to the road team points for Monday night's game.
4. Closest to the total points for Sunday night's game.
5. Closest to the home team points for Sunday night's game.
6. Closest to the road team points for Sunday night's game.
7. Closest to the city whose team scores the most points.
8. Closest to the city whose team scores the fewest points.
9. Whichever user had more points in the previous week (or the week before that if still tied, etc.).

We can use the same second level as their #1 or go straight to a modification of #9. Give the second level tie-breaker to the person behind in our standings heading into the current week. I'm not sure we'll need a second level, but I like giving a nod to someone struggling in the standings. Thoughts?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
OR, we could go with a one over-time then tie type rule where we keep the total points as the first level tie-breaker and then have a tie for the weekly winner. I'll be able to track overall seasonal standings by games picked and weighted standings by within week standings.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:14 am
I like the notion of the tie going to the lower ranking player. Kind of in the spirit of A2K. I doubt that most of us here care what criteria you use (one of the joys of running this is making up rules on the fly) as long as you have thought it out a bit in advance and there is no imposition on the players' time involved in participating. Whatever you decide is probably going to be fine with most of us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:31 am
I concur...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:13 pm
Here's rjb's rules post from last year. We might as well use it as the base.

realjohnboy wrote:
The format of the schedule posting will look like this (at least this is how it might look if I do it; pan may have a different format if he does it):

Week #1:
9/7 (8:30 pm): Miami @ Pittsburgh
9/10 (early games): Seattle @ Detroit
Philadelphia @ Houston
and so on through
9/11 (10:00 pm): San Diego @ Oakland

I am hoping that Pan will throw in some pertinent commentary on the matchups to help folks make their selections. The maximum number of games to pick is 16; later on that drops to 14 or so as teams take turns getting a bye week.

So this is what the players here are expected to do. Publically post your selections of the winners of each game. I would prefer that that bedone succiinctly (makes recording picks a hell of lot easier):

"I am going with Pitt, Seattle, Houston etc"

When you get to the last game you must do one more thing. You need to predict the total number of points that the two teams will score in the game. We use that as the tiebreaker in the scoring (more about that in the next post). So you might say:

"and San Diego (27)." Again, the 27 is the total number of points scored by the two teams.

A couple of warnings: Please check your picks before hitting submit to be sure you selected in all of the games and have indicated the total number of points in the final game of the week.
And please remember that the deadline is one minute before the kickoff of the first game of the weekend. We have made a few exceptions in the past if someone was a bit tardy, but they will be very, very rare in the future as we get more players. All times listed are ET.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:20 pm
Damn, I sounded like Sister Linus, my 1st grade teacher!
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 03:20 pm
Looks like a busy year ... but, I'll play.

Eked? I thought it was 'coasted'.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 04:44 pm
Hi, Chiso!
(Chiso won last year. How are you displaying the Golden Jockstrap trophy we sent? Awesome, isn't it?)

23, jpb.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 04:54 pm
yep, got it. Glad to see you, chiso.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 09:08 pm
Count us in! The wife says Mrs Cowdoc is fine with her. I have to be in Washington the 6th and 7th, but I should be able to get my picks for the first week in before I leave.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 03:37 pm
RJB wrote:
So faced with Indy @ Tenn, as the Monday night game, someone might say: Indy (27).

someone might... someone might indeed...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 04:23 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
RJB wrote:

someone might... someone might indeed...

An inside joke that soared by most everyone else.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:08 pm
I got it. Smile
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:15 pm
JPB (or anyone else): I was amused to hear that C.I. had an interest in the NFL. He joined the Fantasy Football thing that JPinMilw has set up. I contacted him about playing in our game also and he asked for a link to get here. I am a computer idiot and my computer is acting up. Please try to reel him in as player #24.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:34 pm
Okay, rjb, found you! I'm in, but will be absent in October and November for a total of about five weeks total.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:09 pm
And I got a pm from Fbaezer saying that he will be playing. He slips into gate #25.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:15 pm
Very good then.
0 Replies