NFL 2007/8 A2K Road to Phoenix-The Duel In the Desert

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
And by the way, JPB, you might check out www.sportsline.com/nfl/schedules as a source for each week's schedule in a format you can use.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:25 pm
JPB~
Awesome statistical work!

The Amazing Giorgio's predictions were all accurate.
It's reality that screwed up.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:16 pm
Awesome stats work. I gotta admit to a special (nerdy) thrill to seeing the detail. I've long been amazed at how repeatable/predictable and also how non-repeatable pro sports can be. Also amazed at how good and how bad we can be at guessing about their repeatability and predictability.

Here's some random thoughts:
After Monday night's game, l'll not be expecting much from NO Saints with Brees as QB. Right now, he (and they) seem psychologically beaten. I sure do hope they get it together 'cause that N'yawlins area needs them to be winners and not the 'Aints' of old.

Wonder how my NE Pats will do against Cincy Bengals? Cincy sure knows how to score.

I'm watching a few teams closely -- the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans and for different reasons. The 'Boys 'cause they look to be the class of the NFC and, the Texans 'cause they're a surprisingly strong team and a potential upsetter of the status quo.

Looking for a trend now to show itself for Week #4 - Week #10...that defense SHOULD start to take over. Looking over the high scores, it seems that offense has dominated so far, overall. Expecting overall defense to start digging in.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:38 pm
Musing along with you, Ragman, while waiting for JPB to post the schedule for week #IV. It seems to me to be a relatively easier week. I was able to pencil in my picks without much problem (which of course means little since I don't know much about football).
I have noticed that Dallas, thus far, has scored (points for=PF) 116 while St Louis has but 32. Dallas is definitely back.
Houston is in the the middle of the pack with 78 PF but Atlanta really sucks with a mere 30. (That nice young man, Michael Vick of Atlanta and formerly of VA Tech now faces state charges in addition to Federal charges to which he has pleaded guilty, by the way). Cincy-NE could well be one of the better games of the week. Both teams can score (PF: Cincy 93 vs NE 114 but Points against (PA): 95 vs 35 favors NE.
New Orleans is idle this week but they look weak.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:00 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
JPB wrote:
panzade wrote:

yeah... I just never heard of a second tier tie breaker going to the trailing player...but enough...I accept my defeat ...gracefully

that's 'cuz osso and I made the rules and us wimmins is more sympathetic than most rule makers :wink:

Right. In our Fantasy Football matchup this week, Jespah clobbered me. No mercy there.

Well done, JPB. It was fortunate that the 2nd level tiebreaker was put in place this year. We saw this situation coming.
And can you punch a button to display the overall standings for the year in descending order?

(and by the way, if I hadn't changed my pick in the Giants-Skins game...)

Eh, well at least I did well there. Smile

PS Is there a list of the next matchups anywhere? I gotta pick the Northern cities.

Oops, I've given away my extraordinarily successful strategy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:11 pm
jespah wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:
JPB wrote:
panzade wrote:

yeah... I just never heard of a second tier tie breaker going to the trailing player...but enough...I accept my defeat ...gracefully

that's 'cuz osso and I made the rules and us wimmins is more sympathetic than most rule makers :wink:

Right. In our Fantasy Football matchup this week, Jespah clobbered me. No mercy there.

Well done, JPB. It was fortunate that the 2nd level tiebreaker was put in place this year. We saw this situation coming.
And can you punch a button to display the overall standings for the year in descending order?

(and by the way, if I hadn't changed my pick in the Giants-Skins game...)

Eh, well at least I did well there. Smile

PS Is there a list of the next matchups anywhere? I gotta pick the Northern cities.

Oops, I've given away my extraordinarily successful strategy.

It is a strategy, but I'll keep that a secret for now. LOL
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:24 pm
I'll post this weekend's games in a minute. If someone knows of a site that lists the games and standings that I can use, I will be eternally grateful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:27 pm
Jes, there was some extraordinary thread back in 2002 or 3 or 4 about climate and productivity... which you will probably remember...

I'm afraid I never took stats. I had friends who found it their Waterloo course. But just like physics, I'd bet I'd like stats in adult life.

Meantime, I don't get what I'm seeing re what happened for the list of us. Almost but not quite. I guess I don't get why Raggy isn't at 0.0 or 1.0. What is this 2 stuff?

Not as a nag, but sometime within the thread, could you 'splain more, jpb, re the numbers I'm seeing? Trust me, I don't doubt you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:29 pm
The sites I've looked don't do all that well re us as a group... sometimes, if not every week.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:36 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Jes, there was some extraordinary thread back in 2002 or 3 or 4 about climate and productivity... which you will probably remember.......

This one? http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11283

JPB: NFL schedule: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/scheduleNFL standings: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/standings
NFL scores: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/scoreboard

ESPN is your friend.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:42 pm
Green Bay (3-0) at Minnesota (1-2)
Oakland (1-2) at Miami (0-3)
NY Jets (1-2) at Buffalo (0-3)
Houston (2-1) at Atlanta (0-3)
Chicago (1-2) at Detroit (2-1)
Baltimore (2-1) at Cleveland (1-2)
St. Louis (0-3) at Dallas (3-0)
Tampa Bay (2-1) at Carolina (2-1)
Seattle (2-1) at San Francisco (2-1)
Kansas City (1-2) at San Diego (1-2)
Pittsburgh (3-0) at Arizona (1-2)
Denver (2-1) at Indianapolis (3-0)
Philadelphia (1-2) at NY Giants (1-2)

New England (3-0) at Cincinnati (1-2) Plus total score

· Bye: Tennessee, New Orleans, Washington, Jacksonville
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:50 pm
1) Texans (2-1) at Falcons (0-3)

2) Jets (1-2) at Bills (0-3)

3) Ravens (2-1) at Browns (1-2)

4) Rams (0-3) at Cowboys (3-0)

5) Bears (1-2) at Lions (2-1)

6) Raiders (1-2) at Dolphins (0-3)

7) Packers (3-0) at Vikings (1-2)

8) Seahawks (2-1) at 49ers (2-1)

9) Buccaneers (2-1) at Panthers (2-1)

10) Broncos (2-1) at Colts (3-0)

11) Steelers (3-0) at Cardinals (1-2)

12) Chiefs (1-2) at Chargers (1-2)

13) Eagles (1-2) at Giants (1-2)

14) Patriots (3-0) at Bengals (1-2) Monday, 8:30 p.m. ET

Bye: Tennessee, New Orleans, Washington, Jacksonville
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:19 pm
I'm guessing that this weeks games are not part of the league but are the opening matches of a knockout competition? No?

Green Bay
Miami
Buffalo
Houston
Chicago
Baltimore
Dallas
Carolina
San Francisco
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
New England (33)

Just want to say yer doin' a fine job, JPB.

G'night America.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:43 pm
Green Bay (3-0) at Minnesota (1-2) GB. Favre at 38 is awesome. Even Gus will have to admit that.
Oakland (1-2) at Miami (0-3) Oakland. Two bad teams.
NY Jets (1-2) at Buffalo (0-3) Jets. Buffalo has no offense. None.
Houston (2-1) at Atlanta (0-3) Houston. They are pretty good. The Falcons are not.
Chicago (1-2) at Detroit (2-1) Detroit. Bye, bye, Grossman. Root for the Cubs.
Baltimore (2-1) at Cleveland (1-2) Baltimore. Cleveland leads the league in points allowed. A long day for Cleveland.
St. Louis (0-3) at Dallas (3-0) Dallas. Their offense is good.
Tampa Bay (2-1) at Carolina (2-1) TB. Carolina can't seem to get it together. I may be wrong about this one.
Seattle (2-1) at San Francisco (2-1) Um, Seattle
Kansas City (1-2) at San Diego (1-2) San Diego. KC has scored only 26 points all season.
Pittsburgh (3-0) at Arizona (1-2) PITTSBURGH (my team)
Denver (2-1) at Indianapolis (3-0) Indy. They can score points. Should be a good game.
Philadelphia (1-2) at NY Giants (1-2) Philly. Maybe I was harsh about McNabb.

New England (3-0) at Cincinnati (1-2). NE. Could be close but the Pats defense is better. 54 points in total.

· Bye: Tennessee, New Orleans, Washington, Jacksonville[/quote]
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:25 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Meantime, I don't get what I'm seeing re what happened for the list of us. Almost but not quite. I guess I don't get why Raggy isn't at 0.0 or 1.0. What is this 2 stuff?

Not as a nag, but sometime within the thread, could you 'splain more, jpb, re the numbers I'm seeing? Trust me, I don't doubt you.

Sure thing, osso. Bright and early tomorrow when my brain starts working again.

Actually, that particular stat is just the average of the weekly 'place' scores (first place, second place, etc). Ragman had first, third, and fourth place finishes for the three weeks. Those scores average out to 2.67 with a standard deviation (measure of how much scatter or variability there is around the average number by the individual values) of 1.53. Simply put, that means that the individual numbers tend to be within 1.5 of the average. Now, my place finishes for the three weeks are 23rd, 7th, and 10th which average out to 13.33 with a deviation of 8.5, indicating that my scores have been all over the place. Someone else could have finished in 13th, 13th, and 14th place and have the same 13.33 average but the standard deviation would only be 0.58 meaning they are much more consistent than I am. Clear as mud?

Thank you all for the kudos. It's why you're paying me the big bucks. I've got some ideas for further down the road to post some individual stats but I need to figure out how to post graphs first.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:49 pm
Posting mine earlier this week. I might revise one before Thursday night.

WEEK 4

1) Texans at Falcons
Texans

2) Jets at Bills
Jets

3) Ravens at Browns
Ravens

4) Rams at Cowboys
Cowboys

5) Bears at Lions
Lions

6) Raiders at Dolphins
Dolphins

7) Packers at Vikings
Packers

8) Seahawks at 49ers
Seahawks Tough one

9) Buccaneers at Panthers
Panthers Tough one

10) Broncos at Colts
Colts

11) Steelers at Cardinals
Steelers

12) Chiefs at Chargers
Chargers

13) Eagles at Giants
Eagles

14) Patriots at Bengals (Monday)
Patriots
Tiebreaker: 51 points
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:53 pm
ESPN is my friend, once in a while.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:59 pm
Thanks, jpb, that cleared out my brain pan successfully for the moment.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:47 am
The North gets the nod this week.

Green Bay (3-0) at Minnesota (1-2) Verra c;pse geographically and I'm too lazy to look it up. Going with Green Bay.
Oakland (1-2) at Miami (0-3) Oakland
NY Jets (1-2) at Buffalo (0-3) Buffalo; small consolation for having to link in that fershtinkingeh place.
Houston (2-1) at Atlanta (0-3) Close geographically, picking Houston
Chicago (1-2) at Detroit (2-1) Detroit
Baltimore (2-1) at Cleveland (1-2) Cleveland
St. Louis (0-3) at Dallas (3-0) Ack, St. Louis
Tampa Bay (2-1) at Carolina (2-1) Carolina
Seattle (2-1) at San Francisco (2-1) Seattle
Kansas City (1-2) at San Diego (1-2) KC
Pittsburgh (3-0) at Arizona (1-2) Pitt
Denver (2-1) at Indianapolis (3-0) Indy
Philadelphia (1-2) at NY Giants (1-2) Giants

New England (3-0) at Cincinnati (1-2) Plus total score NE; 38
0 Replies