What do you think?.......

annieb

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:00 pm
Hello everyone,

You all seem pretty knowledgable in regard to relationships and I've had a few things concerning me since I met a new guy. He tends to say some things that I'm not sure whether I should be getting seriously worried about or not or whether men are normally like this. Here they are:

I'm the only one you've got in this world (who loves you) and don't forget it. (This was said because just lately each time I see my Mother it ends in an argument, which does upset me)

Says he is the boss and I'm like the manager (ie he makes the final decisions in our relationship)

Joked he'd like me to wear a Muslim face cover if he could.

In the past if he has been working from home he'll take some money out of his wallet and tell me to go shopping and buy something nice to get out of his hair (which I did not take incidentally)

Joked when we're married with children I'll get an allowance and if I make him particularly happy one week I'll get more (ie make a nice dinner etc etc)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 721 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:06 pm
Yes, you should be seriously worried. No, men are not usually like this. Run from this one -- the sooner the better.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:13 pm
You're already concerned enough to post your question here.

In my opinion (and I am a guy) you were right to be concerned. but the things he says are very worrying.

He is showing all the classic signs.

Trying to isolate you from family members. (A real classic, this one)

"Joking" about making you wear a burqa.

Telling you he's the boss

Offering you pocket money

Trying to remove your financial independence

I don't know how long you have been an item, or if you live together yet, or what, but if he's doing this now, think what it will be like a few months or years down the line.

It won't happen all at once, it'll be gradual. One day you'll turn around and find that he's cut you off from your family, he made you leave your job, he handles all the money, and you are his little wifey, or it could get creepier than that. Possibly there may be violence, mental or physical. if you try to resist.

My SERIOUS advice to you is, get out while you can!. it may be hard to get out of the water, but it's better than drowning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:19 pm
What contrex said. Get as far away from him as you can, as quickly as possible.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:12 pm
Many a true word is spoken in jest.

When one partner is Lord of the Universe, the other partner winds up being dust.

Get rid of this guy.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:05 pm
Lord have Mercy - get the hell out of that!
Trust me...if he is saying those things while you are dating - then if you do marry him it will be worse. Any man who tries to segregate you and get you to cut strings on family ties especially and rely on him soley for your companionship and guidance is a risk at best. He is trying to set you up to feel that he is the only one you can turn to...and then I can almost guarantee you that as he loosens your hold on others and strengthens his ties to you - he will start causing you to doubt yourself. He will make you feel that he is the only one that can love you because you are unlovable by anyone but him. This will secure his power over you - if you believe it. Because you are a lovable and wonderful person...no one should have that kind of sway over anyone else...he is a scary person and I would cut ties fast with him...And it will be hard...he will be persistent..but do not tire - get a restraining order if you have to...I may be overstating the whole thing...but he just sounds like a bad relationship getting worse to me....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:07 pm
Is his name kickycan by chance?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:09 pm
He says this stuff and you haven't slapped the smack out of him yet???
0 Replies

annieb

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:55 am
I have acted upon all your advice!

Many thanks

Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:02 am
This advice once came from Oprah. If you dislike her for some reason, you still have to admit she's right:

"When he tells you what he is, believe him."

He knows himself better than anyone else, so when he says "I'm such a lier!" or "I'm a prick." or "I'm the boss," etc. Believe him! He knows what he's talking about. Some people will say these kinds of things and pretend to be joking, when what they are really doing is warning you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:46 am
Glad to hear it, annieb.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:26 am
Annieb--

Good for you.
0 Replies