Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:56 am
cjhsa wrote:
boobsal - is that a reference to an old Abuzz poster?

You got it!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:02 pm
But you lost me ... what does that person have to do with this bridge?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:14 pm
Anyway, from the video, the way that thing fell... both sides broke free simultaneously... guess my original thought was probably incorrect. I would not rule out terrorism though, domestic or otherwise.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
But you lost me ... what does that person have to do with this bridge?

One never knows...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 12:18 pm
???

Are you implying I am the infamous bobsal from Abuzz?

Sorry, he predated me there. I've always been cjhsa. First there, then here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:25 pm
More info on the school bus.

http://people.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1338171.php/Hero_Jeremy_Hernandez_saves_50_children_on_I-35_bridge
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
???

Are you implying I am the infamous bobsal from Abuzz?

Of course not ! He has posted on A2K several times, however, but of course under a different name(s).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 02:54 pm
Quote:
Last update: August 02, 2007 - 2:40 PM

Divers were pulled from the murky and fast-moving waters of the Mississippi River Thursday afternoon before any bodies could be recovered from the wreckage of Wednesday's I-35W bridge collapse....

Thursday afternoon, more of the bridge decking collapsed along the river. No injuries were reported.

http://www.startribune.com/10204/story/1339588.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 04:18 pm
This is the best single collection of info I've found:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/us/02cnd-bridge.html?pagewanted=1

Includes that 65 people are missing.

My mom had some stories about co-workers staying very late last night to both help the people injured on the bridge and to deal with the very sick people who were displaced. The hospitals were placed under code Orange -- a disaster preparedness thing -- which meant lockdown, that people couldn't see their sick loved ones, etc., and just a lot of chaos/ hassles. Sounds like everyone is handling things very well though.

So far she doesn't know anyone who was involved.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 04:30 pm
Oh man, right after I wrote that got a new email from my mom -- she's become part of the trauma follow-up team. Met with 15 survivors and their families today -- sounds really rough. Not sure if I'm getting into privileged information here so won't quote, but she thought she'd be much more removed than she ended up being.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 06:11 pm
Oh, dear, what an experience for your mom - and of course the people.
Thanks for the good links, Duck, Parados, Soz.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:07 pm
I'm still finding this story quite difficult.

There are/have been bigger/worse accidents, but this just seems so close, so possible, so very real to my life.

Maybe I'm not as detached as I thought years of dealing with accident 'stuff' had made me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:20 pm
Yeah, this is by far the closest of any comparable tragedy for me.

I KNOW that bridge. I've gone over it several thousand times, probably. I grew up within a few miles of it. My mom's right there, in several senses. (She works geographically nearby, and the nature of her work puts her in the thick of dealing with the aftermath.) My dad's been driving over it to go to class at the U (no class just now). When I watch videos with helicopter coverage of the site I say stuff like oh, that's where Ingrid and I watched the fireworks that one year. And on and on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:24 pm
(I know that this is much closer to home for at least parados, though. Not sure how many other Minneapolitans there are on the site.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:27 pm
Hey, Gus hasn't posted since July 30th. I've always suspected he might live in the Twin Cities.

He's been posting kind of spottily lately anyway.

But now that I've thought of it I'm going to worry until I see him again.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:56 am
The number of missing has been reduced to 8.

It would be amazing if that turns out to be true.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
What?!

WHOA.

That would be amazing.

(65 to 8?!!)

8 is still 8 too many, but I sure hope that's true.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
It's close to home for everyone. Think about how many bridges you cross over and overpasses you go under on a daily basis, and then think about how many of those are under construction right now during the warm summer months.

Scary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
Quote:
As agonized family members waited for word on the fate of missing loved ones, authorities said eight people were still missing and presumed dead inside submerged vehicles. Another 79 people were injured, five of them critically.

(Emphasis mine.)

http://www.startribune.com/10204/story/1341901.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:06 am
OK I've been trying to stay out of the mess on the other thread but cjhsa, you do see that of course it's closer to home for parados than for you, right? If you're saying that you empathize, cool, but if you're saying that the guy who regularly drove over THAT specific bridge and who is still seeing the aftermath first-hand is no closer to the situation than you are, that's... ridiculous.
0 Replies