Is there anyway real way to go above the law of having a primate in Minnesota?

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:02 pm
DUDE I WANT A CAPUCHIN MONKEY. Its all because of that lady who got attacked by a chimpanzee's fault.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,603 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:21 pm
@ferretfever007,
why not a wolverine? Ive heard that they are better aclimated to the climate In Minn, and, as I further understand, the end results could be similar to the woman who got her face handed to her by a 200 lb chimp (who had 2 more chromosomes in his genomic compliment)

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:29 pm
@farmerman,
Hey! Those wolverines are pretty neat critters. I saw what they do to bears even though they're about the size of a medium-sized dog. They jumped ugly and made bear-burgers when bears had the misfortune of crossing their paths. My Michigan friends say that sightings are rare there unless they're at the U/M football games.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:35 pm
@Ragman,
Yeh, that ferret fever guy is a real PUSSY. A capuchin monkey?? why not a priest? He can get diddled by a real clergyman.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:49 pm
@farmerman,
On a whole different note but still on the nature trail, I just saw a nature special on how incredibly smart crows are. In specific, the smartest are the New Caledonian Crows.

They're wicked smart...think dolphin with feathers. Oh yeah and theory about brain-weight-in ratio-to-body-weight may NOT be a useful criteria for measuring critter intellect.

Saw them in action in this show. These crows used tools in a flexible way with high cognition and the possibility that they also can use tools sequentially to obtain food in this experiment. Smarter than monkeys/chimps/or apes in this one example. Also they may be more adaptive. They not only use a stick as tool, they fashion it into a hook. they seem to understand causal relationships. The video clip explains their abstract thinking best.

http://naturalhistorywanderings.com/2011/04/10/crows-the-smartest-birds/

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:53 pm
@Ragman,
Anyone know anything about the claim I read about somewhere that some bats should be classified as primates?
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 06:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I never heard that, since ALL bats have insectivora dentition, even flying foxes. They are, in essence FLYING RATS (keeping the cladistics popularized)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 07:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
All I'm aware of is what Flying Primates Theory article in Wiki states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_primates_theory

"More recently, the flying primates hypothesis was rejected when scientists compared the DNA of bats to that of primates. These genetic studies support the monophyly of bats"
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 07:26 pm
@Ragman,
bats are superorder Lauresthenia (I believe that the word), they are cladistically related to shrews through ancestors of elephants

The "flying primate" is just bullshit from a sily comparison to flying lemurs or sugar gliders (I think thats what they calls em)
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 07:31 pm
@Ragman,
OK, thnx, Ragman. I knew that it wasn't my sick li'l mind inventing it. Some other sick li'l mind came up with that notion.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 07:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The heck of it is that most paleontologists were poo pooing the "flying primate" theory because the fossil record of primates is quite distinct from that of bats (Bats only show up in the fossil record at the base of te Eocene0 and megabats show up much later and primates show a distinct chain of fossils

Its really unimportant unless were very drunk and at a symposium of evolutionary biologists (before weniinvented DNA I dont know what they drank)
0 Replies