Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

old europe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:02 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Of course, news here are full of that, and people questioning if such could happen here, too.
According to engineers, such is most impossible in Germany (and Europe), since we don't have such bridge constructions.

I've recently read reports on safety of bridges (not sure if it was about Germany or just about one state). Just one bridge was a-okay. All of the rest had some kind of structural deficiency.

That doesn't mean they're not safe - they use a rating scale, too.

Read that about the Minneapolis bridge that

Quote:
The bridge received a rating of 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. A bridge receives a rating of 4 when there is "advanced section loss, deterioration, spalling, or scour."

I don't know.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:06 am
Letty wrote:
Anyone remember the collapse of the Silver Bridge?

The Silver Bridge was an eyebar chain suspension bridge built in 1928 and was named for the color of its aluminum paint. The bridge connected Point Pleasant, West Virginia and Kanauga, Ohio (near Gallipolis, Ohio) over the Ohio River.

The collapsed Silver Bridge, as seen from the Ohio side.On December 15, 1967, the Silver Bridge collapsed while it was choked with rush hour traffic, resulting in the deaths of 46 people. Investigation of the wreckage pointed to the cause of the collapse being the failure, due to a small defect, of a single eye-bar in a suspension chain. It was also noted that the bridge was carrying much heavier loads than usual.

There was a weird suspense movie about this bridge, though it wasn't set in the 60s. It had Richard Gere in it. I can't remember the name.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
old europe wrote:

I've recently read reports on safety of bridges (not sure if it was about Germany or just about one state). Just one bridge was a-okay. All of the rest had some kind of structural deficiency.

That doesn't mean they're not safe - they use a rating scale, too.

Right, Germany, ADAC-report, but about small(er) bridges maintained only by the local communities in towns.
(I just agian heart the spokesperson of the office which overlooks 10,000 bridges in our state - on federal, state and county roads.) (And there again it was mentioned that in Europe such a type of bridge is very uncommon.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:13 am
The Mothman Prophecies. I think it was based on the Silver Bridge collapse.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:18 am
Thanks for checking in, Parados! Are there any other A2Kers in your area?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:26 am
How long before the Longfellow Bridge in Boston meets the same fate?

Anyone who's crossed this bridge knows the sidewalk along the road has king sized holes in it and, I'm surpirsed someone hasn't fallen or tripped through one of these holes.

(Incidentally, I've crossed the Minnesota bridge several times in the past .)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:29 am
Infos @ wikipedia about the I-35W Mississippi River bridge.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:30 am
Miller wrote:
How long before the Longfellow Bridge in Boston meets the same fate?

Anyone who's crossed this bridge knows the sidewalk along the road has king sized holes in it and, I'm surpirsed someone hasn't fallen or tripped through one of these holes.

(Incidentally, I've crossed the Minnesota bridge several times in the past .)

The Longfellow bridge is a totally different construction, namely an arch bridge.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:31 am
It's not in good shape.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:06 am
BBB
This tragic event brought back chilling memories of the two-deck freeway collapse during the Loma Prieta earthquake in Oakland, California. I had two friends who survived it.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-29/web_pages/oakland.html

Minneapolis people are in for a sad, long hard dislocation and recovery.

BBB
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:08 am
I don't recall a subway train crossing that bridge in Minneapolis. That's a good thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:17 am
Video of the collapse. It went down fast.

http://www.kare11.com/video/player.aspx?aid=51365&sid=261171&bw=hi
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:22 am
In Boston, the RED LINE branch of our subway system travels over the Long Fellow bridge...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:44 am
I have a theory on what might have caused this, but I will refrain from speculating until more details are known.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 10:37 am
That was a horrible thing to see. Other than a plane crash, there is nothing scarier than a bridge collapsing.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:02 am
32 minutes ago it was reported that there could be as many as 30 (just an estimate) people in cars in the water. The divers are taking down license plate #'s and they do know there are bodies. So, now it is a recovery rather than a rescue. It was stated that it will take a few days to get the cars out of the water due to the currents and the heavy pieces of concrete that have to be moved. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:28 am
cjhsa wrote:
I have a theory on what might have caused this...

I betcha' it was gravity.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:32 am
cjhsa wrote:
I have a theory on what might have caused this, but I will refrain from speculating until more details are known.

Bush?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:36 am
cjhsa wrote:

Boobsal was in Minnesota? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:54 am
boobsal - is that a reference to an old Abuzz poster?
0 Replies