Is this normal?????

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:19 am
I am getting married in approx. 3months. I am very much in love with my future husband and I cant wait to spend the rest of my life with him. But I am having this delima were I am thinking about my some of my past relationships. Well, mainly just 2 of them and the men I was with. Almost like a what would have happened, I guess. I know that I am very lucky and have a wonderful man that wants to spend the rest of my life with, but is this normal to feel this way??? I am wanting to know if there are any woman or even men out there that have had these thoughts before???
P.S. These thoughts I am having are more or less just reminiscing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:30 am
Of course it is normal. Getting married is a big step that moves your life in another direction. There is always a certain amount of ambivalence. There are always the feelings of.............what if this, what if that, and oftimes the "what ifs" include prior relationships.

You say that you love your fiance, and can't wait to spend the rest of your life with him. That is a good sign. So just allow yourself to "feel the feelings", knowing that just about every bride has gone through the same thing as you.

I wish you many, many years of happiness in your impending marriage.

BTW, welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:40 am
It's probably more normal to think about these things than not.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:42 am
Everyone has a little mental review before they leap into the foreverness of marriage Very Happy
0 Replies

eatnpeaches79

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:46 am
ok, now my next question is, what if one of those memories is still in your life in the form of a friendship, like strickly just a friendship. Someone that you talk to or text on a daily or just a weekly basis?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:06 am
It all depends. Is the relationship really a friendship, or is it something else? Does your fiance know about this relationship? If he does, what are his feelings about it?

When I married my husband, I had a friend. Originally the relationship was an affair, but had turned into a deep friendship. I really wanted to continue it after I was married. Unfortunately I had opened my big mouth to my husband, so he knew that the relationship had started as an affair. He was very uncomfortable about the relationship. I spoke with my friend, and told him that I could no longer have contact with him.

Would I have liked to have kept up the frendship? Absolutely! That guy was THERE for me, when my life was at a really low point I always felt that I owed him. But I owed more to my husband. It was simply a matter of ordering my priorities.

If my husband had been less sensitive, I could have retained the friendship, but he wasn't, so I didn't.
0 Replies

eatnpeaches79

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:12 am
He does know about the relationship. He feels somewhat uncomfortable just due to the fact that he has never kept a relationship with any of his ex-girlfriends because they have ended so badly. This wasn't the case in regards to the relationship I had with my so-called long distance ex. We just came to the realization that is wasn't going to work. I think that I am just over-evaluating the situation, and the fact that this is my second time being engaged doesnt help matters. I am just scared.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:15 am
It is normal. But remember these words, you view your past through rose tinted glasses.

Is it worth it to ruin a good memory? or is the memory "worth it" for a reason?

Only you know what you want, and if you dont know, then you have your answer.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:18 am
eatnpeaches79- Only you know the extent of the connection with the old relationship, and the strength of your fiance's feelings about it. With that knowledge, you need to think about making a decision.
0 Replies

eatnpeaches79

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:22 am
True. I feel better talking about this. It helps getting different point of views and feelings from individuals I dont know. Everything happens for a reason.
0 Replies