take/bring

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 01:51 pm
Please wait us at the train station. My colleague Helen will pick you up over there, then take/bring you to our office.

Which word should I use? Or is the sentence ambiguous?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 01:52 pm
Bring.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 01:54 pm
Assuming, of course, that whoever is saying the sentence is at the office.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:06 pm
I was editing my question after I posted it when it was answered. I've elaborated and hope my explanation is clear enough.

Please wait us at the train station. My colleague Helen will pick you up over there, then take/bring you to our office.

Which word should I use?

I believe the speaker should be at his/her office, and I think it depends on where the office is. If the speaker's colleague Helen has drive straight ahead and proceed to the office with the other person, then 'take' should be used. On the other hand, if she has to turn back, for example, make a U-turn, to get back to the office, then 'bring' should be used? Am I correct in my interpretation?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:31 pm
You could use either take or bring but bring sounds better if the speaker is at the office.

The first short sentence doesn't make sense.

Do you mean "Please wait with us at the station?" or "Please wait for us at the station." ?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:34 pm
Got to go now, somebody else will help I'm sure. Good luck and good night.

DP

x
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:35 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
You could use either take or bring but bring sounds better if the speaker is at the office.

The first short sentence doesn't make sense.

Do you mean "Please wait with us at the station?" or "Please wait for us at the station." ?

My apologies. It should be Please wait for us at the station.

Please wait for us at the train station. My colleague Helen will pick you up over there, then take/bring you to our office.

Which word should I use?

I believe the speaker should be at his/her office, and I think it depends on where the office is. If the speaker's colleague Helen has to drive straight ahead and proceed to the office with the other person, then 'take' should be used. On the other hand, if she has to turn back, for example, make a U-turn, to get back to the office, then 'bring' should be used?

Where the office is, is important in deciding which word to use. Am I correct in my interpretation?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 03:40 pm
No. Bring that to me. Take that from here to there.

Please wait for us at the train station. My colleague Helen will pick you up over there, then take/bring you to our office.

In this instance, I think that either take or bring is correct. Because it's "our" office, I'm inclined to say that bring is probably the word I would use in this case.

"Over there" is unnecessary. Delete "over." Delete the comma and add an "and."

Please wait for us at the train station. My colleague Helen will pick you up there and then bring you to our office.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:10 pm
Roberta wrote:
No. Bring that to me. Take that from here to there.

In this instance, I think that either take or bring is correct. Because it's "our" office, I'm inclined to say that bring is probably the word I would use in this case.

"Over there" is unnecessary. Delete "over." Delete the comma and add an "and."

Please wait for us at the train station. My colleague Helen will pick you up there and then bring you to our office.

"Over there" is unnecessary. Delete "over".

Just to confirm: Delete 'over' or 'over there'. Thanks.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:56 am
Good morning yoong liat. You can delete both words, "over there".
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 03:09 am
Bring if the speaker is indicatiing the current location.

I am at the office, Helen will bring you here.

Take if the speaker is at another location to the destination indicated.

I am at home at present. Helen will take you to the office.

Reality is that either word would suffice.
0 Replies