My Rainsoft System is malfunctioning

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:57 pm
I have a Rainsoft AQC 60 Gold and I notice the water has turned a bright fluorescent green. I also notice that my dead lawn is littered with dead birds, raccoons and squirrels after I water it. Personally I drink bottled water and shower at my health club but I may feel tempted to shower at home. Do you think I need a new filter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,768 • Replies: 24
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:04 pm
dead birds, raccoons and squirrels oh my!

Quit pissing in the salt tank :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:09 pm
Arsenic is green and often results in the symptoms you describe. I surmise a loved one wishes to access your insurance.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:44 pm
Perhaps Dadpad but shouldn't the Rainsoft system filter that out?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:52 pm
NickFun wrote:
Perhaps Dadpad but shouldn't the Rainsoft system filter that out?

Issume it depends on the position of your valves. Ie Fleck on

Or Fleck off
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
dead birds, raccoons and squirrels oh my!

Quit pissing in the salt tank :wink:

The water in the salt tank does not get into the water going through the softener to the yard but...

You should be telling Nick to redo his outside faucet plumbing so as to not use softened water for watering the yard; it kills plants, not critters.

Nick, only conditioners filter and soften water. You have a cheap RS softener while probably paying a rip off price for it. If my good buddy justalurker was here, he'd tell you to get a "complete" water test.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:18 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
If my good buddy justalurker was here, he'd tell you to get a "complete" water test.

And I'd be right, but don't call me your buddy.

Certified independent labs can be found here ...
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/labs/index.html
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:29 am
Thanks for all the advice folks but I came up with a different solution. I burned down then house.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:03 am
Drastic.... You coulda/shoulda just plowed the yard'n let weeds grow and quit watering things...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:18 am
NickFun wrote:
Thanks for all the advice folks but I came up with a different solution. I burned down then house.

Burn baby, burn Cool
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
If my good buddy justalurker was here, he'd tell you to get a "complete" water test.

And I'd be right, but don't call me your buddy.

Certified independent labs can be found here ...
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/labs/index.html

Steve, I know, it's early Monday morning in NM and you still don't have a job after years of not looking for one and you're feeling bitter but... you're only right in your own mind.

You have to describe what "complete water test" means.

Otherwise, taken literally as you type it, although I suspect you have no clue, no one can afford the price of your COMPLETE water test!! Call one of your labs and check it out. That'll give ya something to do today, you can make a new friend if you don't talk too long.

The reason I say that... you are sending PEOPLE to someone that SELLS people EXPENSIVE water tests that in most cases are not needed.

Telling people "complete" causes people confusion when they talk to the lab, and sets them up to be SOLD an expensive battery of unneeded tests and a lot of money they didn't have to spend. Which now you'll deny any responsibility for and defend your suggestion...
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:29 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
you are sending PEOPLE to someone that SELLS people EXPENSIVE water tests that in most cases are not needed.

Gary,

Slow day? Need to start a fight? Haven't insulted anyone yet today?

I'll leave it up to the people who ingest whatever is in the water to decide if they want to know what's in it. Whether they want to have a certified lab and chemist provide accurate and specific details of what is in their water or a self-proclaimed water softener professional who bought a kit on the internet and crudely tests only for hardness, iron, manganese, and TDS is up to them.

I'd rather have the exact results of a certified water test to compare with what the people wanting to sell me water treatment equipment say is in my water. Do the tests cost money, sure they do. Free advice and free water tests are worth exactly what you pay for them.

There's a constant tone in all your posts on all the forums you post.. you insult, you bully, you lie, you misquote, you quote out of context, BUT the most insidious of all your posting traits is that you believe that nothing is worth what one pays for it, that CHEAP is the only way, and advise unsuspecting people to follow that misguided belief.

That is how you live your life but not how others do. Many are willing to pay a dollar's worth for a dollar and enjoy the right to decide when to do exactly that.

BTW, with above average hand-eye coordination, attention to detail, and mechanical skill one can disassemble and reassemble a Fleck 5600 WITHOUT the special tools. I have, H2O_MAN has, and I suspect many competent techs have. Your acknowledgement that you can't only defines your limitations and inabilities.

Gary Slusser wrote:
Telling people "complete" causes people confusion when they talk to the lab, and sets them up to be SOLD an expensive battery of unneeded tests and a lot of money they didn't have to spend.

You shouldn't assume that eveyone in business is ethically challanged, they're not.

Well, gotta go... have to go to work :wink:
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
Telling people "complete" causes people confusion when they talk to the lab, and sets them up to be SOLD an expensive battery of unneeded tests and a lot of money they didn't have to spend

All water test results they receive from this expensive "complete water test" you suggest only speaks to the quality of the sample that was tested.

The results of your "complete water test" have nothing to do with the future quality of the person's well water.

So how often do you propose people have this "complete water test" or do you mean only before they buy a softener?

Another question for you to deflect... why do you suggest your "complete water test" when the person says they need a water softener?

What is your reason for suggesting a "complete waster test" while you know that a softener does not reduce or remove 99% of the things that could be found in your "complete water test"....

It is very bad advice to forum members.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:

Only in your opinion.

The onslaught of your rude, condescending, and bullying retorts has caused me to re-evaluate... I'll change "complete" to comprehensive.

I've spoken to four certified labs lately and told them "I'm concerned about the quality of my water" and every one recommended a modest number of tests that cost from $35 to $65 dollars. None of the tests they recommended were for what I'd consider unnecessary things and none of the tests were done with test strips..

Maybe your warm and cuddly approach inclines the labs you contact to respond to your attitude in kind.

If I were on a well I'd get a comprehensive test every 6 months and when I was satisfied that the well water was consistent I'd change to yearly comprehensive testing.

Many people that post they want a softener, and are actively shopping, but seem to overlook a water test of any kind. Those are the unsuspecting customers you seek out on other people's forums.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:38 pm
I discovered that my water turned florescent green because of my proximity to a nuclear waste dump. It had nothing to do with my Rainsoft system! Whew! THAT'S a relief!
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

I've spoken to four certified labs lately and told them "I'm concerned about the quality of my water" and every one recommended a modest number of tests that cost from $35 to $65 dollars. None of the tests they recommended were for what I'd consider unnecessary things and none of the tests were done with test strips..

Yeah if I were you I'd change "complete" to comprehensive too but sorry, you've lied to me before, and I don't believe a word of teh rest of your comments.

I've never heard of a lab using test strips. That would not be a certified test would it? Or do you think they make the strips? Even if done by a certified lab, without certified tests, the results wouldn't be certified.

BTW, most of us dealers use Hach Co tests. They're used by most labs, government agencies and water companies.

Specifically what tests did you ask about?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:25 pm
It woul appear some people do not realize this is supposed to be a light-hearted spoof. Let's get back to light-hearted spoofing. Please start another thread to continue your ranting.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:33 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

Yeah if I were you I'd change "complete" to comprehensive too but sorry, you've lied to me before, and I don't believe a word of teh rest of your comments.

Then we agree that comprehensive is a better adjective? OK, I plead guilty to a poor choice of adjective.

Gary Slusser wrote:
I've never heard of a lab using test strips. That would not be a certified test would it? Or do you think they make the strips? Even if done by a certified lab, without certified tests, the results wouldn't be certified.

READ MY POST... I said "and none of the tests were done with test strips". That noted that certified labs DON'T DO TESTS WITH TEST STRIPS, but self-professed water treatment professionals use test strips.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:00 pm
Yeah it's late and I misread the test strip part.

What tests did you say you asked about?

Nick, of course you are right, I'm sorry justalurker hijacked your thread.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:57 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Yeah it's late and I misread the test strip part.

Gary,

I acknowledge your apology but in the interest of equal treatment for all on the forum...

Gary Slusser wrote:
Now that you've admitted to ONE of your many errors.., You need to learn how to say "I'm sorry" and mean it.

Now say you're sorry and mean it.
0 Replies