Wild Blueberries. Wash or don't wash?

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:58 pm
I'm lucky enough to have wild blueberries that grow along the woods beside my house that I pick and freeze enough for a year.

Some say I should wash them, while some insist I shouldn't. I found a web site that says if they're organic with no pesticides, no need to wash.

What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,149 • Replies: 55
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Why wouldn't you wash them?

As in, I'm not certain it's necessary, but it seems like a good idea, and I don't see the downside.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Ya wanna eat bird poop residue? Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:03 pm
If you freeze them, they shouldn't be washed - thus keeping their look, arome etc.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:04 pm
We used to eat'm right off the bushes until our aunts would scold us.

(We were supposed to be picking them.

but

A little rinse with cold water to wash away the soot in the air that has flown in all the way from Chicago to the sun-washed hills where you are.

Joe(I had a big bunch of blueberries with a banana for breakfast on Monday. So good.)Nation
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
Soz, it's because if you wash them before freezing, they get tough skin and if you wash after taking out of the freezer, they lose nutrients.

Shewolf, I know, I keep thinking animal poop/pee Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
We used to eat'm right off the bushes until our aunts would scold us.

(We were supposed to be picking them.

but

A little rinse with cold water to wash away the soot in the air that has flown in all the way from Chicago to the sun-washed hills where you are.

Joe(I had a big bunch of blueberries with a banana for breakfast on Monday. So good.)Nation

We always ate them right from the patch up here and no one ever thought anything of it, so that's why I wonder if the washing is really important.

Mon(gotta love those blueberries)tana
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
old wives tale.

Wash half and don't wash half.

See if there is any difference.

Joe(write a report)Nation
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
If you freeze them, they shouldn't be washed - thus keeping their look, arome etc.

Yeah, that's what I'm being told by my 80+ year old aunts and I figure, well, they're still alive and surprisingly active Cool
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:18 pm
I find that after eating a pound or two of any type of freshly picked berry, I'm guaranteed to get the shiites every time, whether they're washed or not.
0 Replies

Montana

Joe Nation wrote:
old wives tale.

Wash half and don't wash half.

See if there is any difference.

Joe(write a report)Nation

Laughing Never heard that tale, but I just might try it ;-)

Mon(I'll try almost anything once)tana
0 Replies

Letty

In Virginia, Montana, we had wild huckleberry and blueberry bushes. I ate them right off the bush, and I managed to stay alive. Walter is more than likely right about not washing if you plan to freeze them.

I am not certain if anyone knows about waxed cherries, but pre packaged here, they cost $4.00 a pound. I used to climb a tree and eat them right off the branch.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:20 pm
Doowop wrote:
I find that after eating a pound or two of any type of freshly picked berry, I'm guaranteed to get the shiites every time, whether they're washed or not.

Laughing That's gotta suck!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
Letty wrote:
In Virginia, Montana, we had wild huckleberry and blueberry bushes. I ate them right off the bush, and I managed to stay alive. Walter is more than likely right about not washing if you plan to freeze them.

I am not certain if anyone knows about waxed cherries, but pre packaged here, they cost $4.00 a pound. I used to climb a tree and eat them right off the branch.

Yeah, that's what we always did when we were kids. What's up with this wash business these days, Letty? Laughing

I can see if you buy them from markets because of handling and pesticides, but when we're doing the wild thing, I think we are allowed to bypass the washing.

My aunts are all still alive, you're still alive and I'm still tickin Cool
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
It's a moving experience.
(i am so ashamed.)

No, montana, I meant you wash half and see if it really makes any difference in freezing or not freezing. See if the unwashed berries really look feel taste differently than the washed. I'll bet washing does nothing but get the bird poop off.

Oh, and Shewolf is right about the birdpoop and the bugpoop and the bear fur clinging to the bushs.

Joe(humans have been washing raw food for 100,000 years)Nation
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
Damn!!! I can't get past the animal and bug nature stuff, so I'll wash them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:33 pm
Back to the woods. Got some pickin to do :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:37 pm
bird poop
raccoon pee
bear musk

giardia virus

wash
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:39 pm
Quote:
If you grew them, know they have not been doused with pesticides, and are unconcerned about what has been climbing around on them, you don't need to wash them. Otherwise, do wash them, gently, and do it before you freeze them.

http://www.ochef.com/706.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:40 pm
Even the raccoons wash the cr@p off of 'em. That should tell you something.
0 Replies