Wild Blueberries. Wash or don't wash?

Doowop

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:15 am
Montana wrote:
Doowop wrote:
You certainly have mighty fine berries, Montana.

Thank you very much. I'll be going back out shortly for another round :-D

And the fruit in that bowl looks good as well. Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:20 am
OGIONIK wrote:
I cant hide it, im extremely jealous of your blueberry bushes.

Thanks Laughing

Actually, they are my cousins blueberries. We bought the house from his mother and I had asked him before the closing on the house if they picked them and he said no, but we could help ourselves to them and I thought it was so cute when he gave us a legal right of way to the berries in our purchase agreement :-D

He and his wife are my favorite neighbours. They actually mind their own business :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
Re: Wild Blueberries. Wash or don't wash?
Miller wrote:
Montana wrote:
I'm lucky enough to have wild blueberries that grow along the woods beside my house that I pick and freeze enough for a year.

Some say I should wash them, while some insist I shouldn't. I found a web site that says if they're organic with no pesticides, no need to wash.

What are your thoughts?

I'd wash them. What if a dog, wild animal or even a human has unrinated on that wild blueberry bush?

I always did wash them, but my aunts keep telling me I don't have too, so I just figured I'd throw this question out there to see what you all think.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:24 am
Doowop wrote:
Montana wrote:
Doowop wrote:
You certainly have mighty fine berries, Montana.

Thank you very much. I'll be going back out shortly for another round :-D

And the fruit in that bowl looks good as well. Very Happy

Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:29 pm
Blueberries: 83 calories a cup which means 166 calories a pint.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:08 pm
I know :-D Isn't that just awesome, Noddy? Cool

And they're good for our health, to boot.

In my case, they're also free, so I better get back pickin while the pickin is good and before the bugs find me Laughing

Although it may not have any health benefits, I think Splenda is a gift with 0 calaries to add to my very low cal berries.

Ahhhhhhh, I just love food!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
I normally wash all fruit and veg, even those with skin I'm going to peel, but I remember eating lots of berries straight from the bush/tree, no washing involved. I say Go for it, just eat 'em!
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:42 pm
I'll wash 'em for you, Montana.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 04:43 pm
Years ago, while in one learning program, I worked in a PIE FACTORY. The pies werenamed after a woman , like Mrs Sxhmudts pies. (Im trying not to infer anything of an unsanitary nature was taking place at Mrs _______'s so Ive used a Nome-du-pattisserent)

After my first week , I was like , the most dependable guy on the job because everyone else just would work 3 days then quit and then come back drunk after a week and want their job back). The plant manager, probably trying to figure out why a guy with a college degeree was working in a pie factory, put me in charge of my entire shift and I had a pie- line(out of about 20 duifferent lines going all at once) that made just blueberry pies. Id inspect the frozen wild blueberries , which were a product of Poland as well as Canada. The bags of blueberries would come through and , of the stuff I found in the berry count that were NOT blueberries, I tallied the occurences of "foreign non-berry inclusions" in sort of the following

1flies-small unidentifiable species , but definately dipterans , about 10 flies per 1000 berries

2spiders-about 5 various species of spiders. about 5 per 1000 bluberries

3unidentified crap- about 5 chunks per 1000 bluberries

4cigarette pieces-about 1 or 2 per 1000 blueberries

I distinctly remember those counts because I made a report to the pie company headquarters about QA in the berry farms. I was given a generous severance and the company's best wishes for my continued success in all my endeavors outside the pie field. (They gave me 6 months pay, so I basically was in grad school living like a king on a research stipend and 2 semesters worth of cash )

Blueberries helped make me an entrepreneur.

PS, ya wanna know what I found in the cherries?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:03 pm
Mame wrote:
I normally wash all fruit and veg, even those with skin I'm going to peel, but I remember eating lots of berries straight from the bush/tree, no washing involved. I say Go for it, just eat 'em!

I'll eat them while I'm pickin, but the ones I end up saving have been washed and frozen.
I go through all the berries and pick out all the bugs, mushy ones, not ripe enough ones, etc before I even wash them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
Doowop wrote:
I'll wash 'em for you, Montana.

Awwwwww, how sweet of you :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
farmerman wrote:
Years ago, while in one learning program, I worked in a PIE FACTORY. The pies werenamed after a woman , like Mrs Sxhmudts pies. (Im trying not to infer anything of an unsanitary nature was taking place at Mrs _______'s so Ive used a Nome-du-pattisserent)

After my first week , I was like , the most dependable guy on the job because everyone else just would work 3 days then quit and then come back drunk after a week and want their job back). The plant manager, probably trying to figure out why a guy with a college degeree was working in a pie factory, put me in charge of my entire shift and I had a pie- line(out of about 20 duifferent lines going all at once) that made just blueberry pies. Id inspect the frozen wild blueberries , which were a product of Poland as well as Canada. The bags of blueberries would come through and , of the stuff I found in the berry count that were NOT blueberries, I tallied the occurences of "foreign non-berry inclusions" in sort of the following

1flies-small unidentifiable species , but definately dipterans , about 10 flies per 1000 berries

2spiders-about 5 various species of spiders. about 5 per 1000 bluberries

3unidentified crap- about 5 chunks per 1000 bluberries

4cigarette pieces-about 1 or 2 per 1000 blueberries

I distinctly remember those counts because I made a report to the pie company headquarters about QA in the berry farms. I was given a generous severance and the company's best wishes for my continued success in all my endeavors outside the pie field. (They gave me 6 months pay, so I basically was in grad school living like a king on a research stipend and 2 semesters worth of cash )

Blueberries helped make me an entrepreneur.

PS, ya wanna know what I found in the cherries?

Of course I wanna know. I wanna know everything :-D

So far I've picked little spiders, tiny caterpillars, and today I picked out a dead bee Laughing

Farmer, you never fail to impress me :-D
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
we found a mouse in the cherries. I, of course, didnt accept the entire shipment but, after I was asked to find opportunities outside of that company, I had no idea whether theyd just tossed the one can of cherriesor the whole bloody skid.

My pie company career lasted 4 months during which i rose from reefer unloader to pie cook, to shift foreman (the importance of which let me believe that I was a critical cog in the pie industry-I was mistaken)
SInce a reasonably intelligent Rheesus monkey can make commerecial pies, the only talent the pie company needs is someone who can count the product and make sure it gets immediately frozen .
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
My sister works in a cake factory for a large outfit that I won't name here. She is allowed a large discount, but would never eat any mass produced cake now, knowing what sometimes goes into 'em.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 07:39 pm
farmerman wrote:
we found a mouse in the cherries. I, of course, didnt accept the entire shipment but, after I was asked to find opportunities outside of that company, I had no idea whether theyd just tossed the one can of cherriesor the whole bloody skid.

My pie company career lasted 4 months during which i rose from reefer unloader to pie cook, to shift foreman (the importance of which let me believe that I was a critical cog in the pie industry-I was mistaken)
SInce a reasonably intelligent Rheesus monkey can make commerecial pies, the only talent the pie company needs is someone who can count the product and make sure it gets immediately frozen .

A mouse ain't that bad. I was think much worse, but I can only imagine what people have found in food through the years.
This is one of the reasons why I like to make my own stuff, as you never know what the hell is creeping around in those boxes and cans Shocked

I'm so glad I like to garden and cook Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 07:41 pm
Doowop wrote:
My sister works in a cake factory for a large outfit that I won't name here. She is allowed a large discount, but would never eat any mass produced cake now, knowing what sometimes goes into 'em.

Oh yeah, I can imagine. I worked in a lobster plant and I will never buy canned lobster again, thank you very much Laughing

Amazingly enough, I still love lobster, just not in a can or processed. No thank you!
0 Replies