• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 853 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:16 pm
Quote:
Ms. Daly said that just before her mother's discharge from a Manhattan hospital, she watched a doctor remove her dressings with bare, unwashed hands

And the assumptions are...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 11:02 am
a study published in the "annals of internal medicine" provides some insight into "handwashing practices" by doctors .
doesn't look very good imo .
hbg

Quote:
What did the researchers find?

Doctors cleansed their hands 57% of the times that they should have.
They cleansed hands most often when a hand-rub solution was easily available. They did not wash hands as often when they had busy workloads with many patient interactions and when they performed activities with high risks for spreading infections. These activities required cleansing hands immediately before examining patients or between examining different body sites on the same patient. Medical students and internists (internal medicine doctors) washed hands most often, whereas anesthesiologists, critical care physicians, and surgeons washed hands least often. Doctors who valued hand hygiene and considered themselves role models washed hands often.

for complete article see :
ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:34 am
Perhaps the MD washed her hands before entering the patient's room and the observer didn't notice that.

It appears that the infection in the wound occurred either before the initial dressing or immediately thereafter, as a result of poor wound care. I doubt that it had anything to do with the MD not washing her hands while in the presence of the affected patient.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:57 am
a physician at one of the major hospitals in toronto was recently interviewed on-site re. handwashing .
he stressed that handwashing facilities MUST be near where the doctor examines/treats the patient .
he demonstrated that when entering a patients room , he stops WITHIN PATIENT'S SIGHT to thoroughly wash his hands .
he made a point of saying : "it's not enough to wash my hands , i want the patient to see it and feel assured that i practice hygiene ! " .
important point imo .
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:20 am
...I'm wondering if the MD didn't have on disposable gloves...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:49 pm
miller wrote :

Quote:

so there is no need to scrub BEFORE putting the gloves on ?
do you think hands with pathogens are o.k. as long as the hands are in a disposable glove ?
a/t the communicable disease prevention officer at our university hospital (dr. dick zoutman ) , "gloved hands does NOT mean clean hands" .
he further said that surgeons are the biggest offenders - probably lost some friends in the process of speaking out .
he actually demonstrated to some nurses how much scrubbing is required to clean hands properly .
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm
hamburger wrote:
miller wrote :

Quote:

so there is no need to scrub BEFORE putting the gloves on ?

Everyone who makes hospital IVs wears sterile gloves and works in a sterile hood. No one washes his/her hands before putting the gloves on. If you're going to wash your hands with isopropyl alcohol, why put on gloves to make an IV?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 02:03 pm
miller wrote :

Quote:
Everyone who makes hospital IVs wears sterile gloves and works in a sterile hood. No one washes his/her hands before putting the gloves on. If you're going to wash your hands with isopropyl alcohol, why put on gloves to make an IV?

just want to make sure i understand you :
"NO handwashing necessary BEFORE putting sterile gloves on" ?
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 02:34 pm
hamburger wrote:
miller wrote :

Quote:

just want to make sure i understand you :
"NO handwashing necessary BEFORE putting sterile gloves on" ?
hbg

Are you referring to the above message ?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 05:49 pm
from : INFECTION CONTROL TODAY - see link for complete article
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Handwashing Indications

In the absence of a true emergency, personnel should always wash their hands:

1) Before performing invasive procedures (Category I).

2) Before taking care of particularly susceptible patients, such as those whoare severely immunocompromised and newborns (Category I).

3) Before and after touching wounds, whether surgical, traumatic, orassociated with an invasive device (Category I).

4) After situations during which microbial contamination of hands is likely tooccur, especially those involving contact with mucous membranes, blood or body fluids, andsecretions or excretions (Category I).

5) After touching inanimate sources that are likely to be contaminated withvirulent or epidemiologically important microorganisms; these sources includeurine-measuring devices or secretion collecting apparatuses (Category I).

6) After taking care of an infected patient or one who is likely to be colonizedwith microorganisms of special clinical or epidemiologic significance, for examplemultiple-resistant bacteria (Category I).

7) Between contacts with different patients in high-risk units (Category I).

INFECTION CONTROL TODAY
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:05 pm
What has that got to do with IV preparation?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:38 pm
miller wrote :

Quote:

surely you are not suggesting that when preparing an IV , as long as one wears gloves , clean hands are not required ?
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:42 pm
hamburger wrote:
miller wrote :

Quote:

surely you are not suggesting that when preparing an IV , as long as one wears gloves , clean hands are not required ?
hbg

I am telling you that hands are not washed prior to their placement into disposable gloves when one prepares IVs.
0 Replies