Mom in hospital: Auto immune disorder or cancer?

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:25 am
I know it's hard to do, but recognize that she's just sick and not thinking and just doing things that, for her, are routine because that's some small thing she can control, in a sea of things that are happening to her without her control or consent. Which I think is why she checked her purse, etc.

Since she needs nursing care, you would not be able to care for her full-time, neither would your father, even if you wanted to. But of course you can visit and I would encourage you to do so, as often as you can do it (not just physically get there but also how often you can take it emotionally).

I'm sorry I don't have a spare moment to read the link (will try to get to it later) but if she's mainly bedridden there are some things you can think of to do together, such as read. Perhaps the Harry Potter books would be interesting? Of course she isn't a child but it's still kinda fun to be read to. If she can be up and about, maybe you can do some other things together? If, say, she's ambulatory but not very, you can make up to go to a local museum or art gallery for exactly an hour or twenty minutes or however long she can do it and just look at one exhibit and really concentrate on that. I'm suggesting these things so that there's some structure to the visits as just sitting and talking can open up all sorts of psychological cans o' worms, but if you have a destination or a focus or a plan then you'll still have good quality time together but with less of the emotional stuff.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:13 am
thanks for the good wishes, ((((jespah))))...

but my mom's very very difficult - to put it very politely.

jespah wrote:
I know it's hard to do, but recognize that she's just sick and not thinking and just doing things that, for her, are routine because that's some small thing she can control, in a sea of things that are happening to her without her control or consent. Which I think is why she checked her purse, etc.

She's always like that, unfortunately. She does not trust anybody. She hoards money and jewelry...and wears so much jewelry on a daily basis..it looks obscene.

jespah wrote:

Since she needs nursing care, you would not be able to care for her full-time, neither would your father, even if you wanted to. But of course you can visit and I would encourage you to do so, as often as you can do it (not just physically get there but also how often you can take it emotionally).

I'm sorry I don't have a spare moment to read the link (will try to get to it later) but if she's mainly bedridden there are some things you can think of to do together, such as read. Perhaps the Harry Potter books would be interesting? Of course she isn't a child but it's still kinda fun to be read to. If she can be up and about, maybe you can do some other things together? If, say, she's ambulatory but not very, you can make up to go to a local museum or art gallery for exactly an hour or twenty minutes or however long she can do it and just look at one exhibit and really concentrate on that. I'm suggesting these things so that there's some structure to the visits as just sitting and talking can open up all sorts of psychological cans o' worms, but if you have a destination or a focus or a plan then you'll still have good quality time together but with less of the emotional stuff.

The only thing she is interested in is religion and she is fanatic about it..... she wont read a non-religious book.. She is not bed-ridden but she needs rest - though, only for while - later, she can move around...but there will be fear of relapse.
All she can talk about is herlself (how great and intelligent and enlightened she is)..and about her religious belifes (the TRUTH)

She's AWFUL. No one likes her. I'm not exaggerating.

I don't like her either, but there are moments when I feel pangs of affection for her. In the car, when we were retuning from the hospital, she touched my cheek and sincerely said "thank you for everything..". There are moments (VERY brief, but they are there)...when she is affectionate.
I'll try - i'll try spending some time with her.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
Ah, sweetie, that really sucks. Maybe you could take her out to an occasional restaurant. Her choice -- so she can show how wonderfully tasteful and enlightened she is. She sounds a little like a great-aunt of mine (deceased now). Ai yi yi. We all just yesed her to death. Every single freakin' day.
0 Replies