Let's Compare Debate Impressions

snood

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 04:49 am
I missed the first-run, but caught it on the later (and continuing) re-shows.
I really like the You-Tube format; the whole idea that 'one of us' can actually lob a question at the high and mighty candidates is a little exciting.

Some of the frontrunners made some real big points. The best one I saw Obama make was about not letting the medical lobbyists buy every seat at the table, when it comes time to crafting healthcare policy.

The overall impression I took was, suprisingly, that I just happen to like all the Democratic candidates a little better now. I see Edwards as more viable. I see a subtle coalition there between Clinton and Edwards - the way they kept complimenting and referring to one another's comments.

What are your observations about the latest Dem Debate?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 872 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 04:55 am
I watched the Fox analysis. (I only have BBC and Fox here. I can't believe some of the stuff they spew. Dick Morris on BOR. "London was almost blown up two weeks ago" and none of the Dems mentioned terrorism.

Surprisingly, the gang at Fox said Obama hit several out of the park tonight. Frank Luntz has that metering thingy which is actually pretty cool. The focus group wants an Obama-Clinton ticket or Clnton-Obama.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:36 am
Why didn't Obama tell the Public the truth about why he supports nuclear energy?

Why didn't Obama tell the Public the truth about why his kids are sent to the University of Chicago's Lab school and not a Chicago public school?

Question Question Question
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:29 am
He said it was because the school was only 5 minutes from his house. Then he changed the subject.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:50 am
And that he taught there.

Quote:
My kids have gone to the University of Chicago Lab School, a private school, because I taught there, and it was five minutes from our house. So it was the best option for our kids.

But the fact is that there are some terrific public schools in Chicago that they could be going to. The problem is, is that we don't have good schools, public schools, for all kids.

A U.S. senator can get his kid into a terrific public school. That's not the question. The question is whether or not ordinary parents, who can't work the system, are able to get their kids into a decent school, and that's what I need to fight for and will fight for as president of the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/23/debate.transcript/index.html
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:15 am
HokieBird wrote:
He said it was because the school was only 5 minutes from his house. Then he changed the subject.

Why did he change the subject?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:17 am
Miller, let me ask you: why do you have such a hard-on for trashing Obama?

I mean, you really dislike him. Why?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:27 am
FreeDuck wrote:
And that he taught there.

Quote:
My kids have gone to the University of Chicago Lab School, a private school, because I taught there, and it was five minutes from our house. So it was the best option for our kids.

But the fact is that there are some terrific public schools in Chicago that they could be going to. The problem is, is that we don't have good schools, public schools, for all kids.

A U.S. senator can get his kid into a terrific public school. That's not the question. The question is whether or not ordinary parents, who can't work the system, are able to get their kids into a decent school, and that's what I need to fight for and will fight for as president of the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/23/debate.transcript/index.html

After one cuts through all the Obama smoke, you realize that Mr. Obama doesn't want to send his kids to his neighborhood public school, where in reality his kids should be going. Doesn't Obama want to promote cultural diversity?

Obama quote:

Quote:
The question is whether or not ordinary parents, who can't work the system, are able to get their kids into a decent school, and that's what I need to fight for

Obama was an Illinois State Senator in Illinois for 6 years, before assuming his present position. What did he do for "ordinary parents, who can't work the system" in Chicago? What did he do to stop the closure of school-after-school ( public and Catholic ) on the SouthSide Of Chicago? These schools, ignored, boarded up and nothing more than slum-dwellings are a disgrace to Chicago, a disgrace to Obama as a Senator from Illinois and an unbelieveable disgrace, to those who built and developed these schools using their hard-earned cash ( referring to Catholic schools, now closed and trashed ).
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:42 pm
Re: Let's Compare Debate Impressions
snood wrote:
I missed the first-run, but caught it on the later (and continuing) re-shows.
I really like the You-Tube format; the whole idea that 'one of us' can actually lob a question at the high and mighty candidates is a little exciting.

I agree with you that in theory this is a great idea and one that could bring the voters closer to the candidates. However, it's clearly a format that needs tinkering and is dependent on the intelligence of whoever is screening the questions. As we saw in the MSNBC/Politico debate earlier this year, both questions submitted online as well as those from the likes of Chris Matthews can be equally unintelligent and irrelevant.

I just couldn't bare to watch a "debate" last night and opted for a movie but I'll be curious to see the highlights and how things change for the Republican debate of the same format. Also, I was a bit skeptical given it was on CNN and Anderson Cooper was moderating. CNN hasn't exactly been a bastion of journalistic excellence of late, particularly with the Michael Moore vs. Wolf & Gupta debacle.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:12 pm
You'd have preferred Fox?
0 Replies