Bra scientists find formula for that perfect fit

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:20 am
Bra scientists find formula for that perfect fit
By Caroline Davies
23/07/2007
Telegraph UK

Curvy women could soon find a bra revolution making life slightly more comfortable. Until now, bra sizes have followed a formula devised in America in 1935.

For 70 years bra designers have stuck to a formula which decides sizes through measuring under and across the bust. But now researchers in Hong Kong have come up with a different mathematical equation which they say will produce shapelier outlines and greater comfort for Chinese women. If successful, their bra-sizing system could be adopted across the globe.

They say there are more than 100 key measurements necessary to produce the perfect fit, and bra sizes should be based on a new depth/width ratio - or DWR.

Writing in the International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University team says that a "woman's breast is a very complex 3D geometry" and the existing sizing system may be "inappropriate in the categorisation of breast sizes for bras".

As a result, the report points out, as many as 70 per cent of women in Britain are wearing the wrong-sized bra.

Until now, bra sizes have followed a formula devised in America in 1935. "Alphabet" bras were born - advertised then as A cup (youthful); B cup (average); C cup (large); and D cup (heavy).

The Hong Kong team's system follows 3D scanning of 456 Chinese women.

The researchers' 100 measurements have been honed down to just eight factors to describe the breast shape - overall build, breast volume, inner, outer and lower breast shape, height, and gradient and orientation.

Currently, they say, the size and volume of a B cup on a small ribcage, for example, is different from that on a large chest. It could correspond not only to a 34B, but sometimes to a 32C or a 36A.

By using the DWR method, they aim to increase the number of existing bra sizes by between eight and 16 size combinations - offering more choice to women.

"This is the first time that a bra-sizing system protocol has been proposed based on 3D nude breast characteristics," they say. "Besides the intimate apparel industry, the new breast sizing system may be applied in the medical field to identify the breast size for plastic surgery or other apparel product development."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 754 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:38 pm
It is my understanding that a Victorian masochist, a socialite, invented the first bra by clever manupulation of a large silk scraf and then Howard Hughes, to add insult to injury, invented the underwire for Jane Russell.

Now I have no problem looking like a centerfold for National Geographic without my "ugh" bra and have developed a major resentment over the years for places like "Victoria's Secrets" and Fredericks of Hollywood". that have have turned boobs into "Big Business". Who needs them?

Any thoughts on the subject. Enquiring minds need to know.

So there!

Seaglass
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:54 pm
It's about friggin time!

little(I'm in between in both sets of measurement)k.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 09:47 am
Re: Bra scientists find formula for that perfect fit
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
But now researchers in Hong Kong have come up with a different mathematical equation which they say will produce shapelier outlines and greater comfort for Chinese women.

I love the idea that somwhere there are mathematicians sweating in some lab, filling dry-erase boards with titty equations.

"Eureka I have it! The Mammarian Theorum!"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 09:55 am
If Bali ever goes out of business, I will become a hermit! Sad
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
bra scientists?

and what do Chinese women have to hold up anyhow?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 01:37 pm
this reminds me of the study canadian scientists were doing on the usage of marijuana, and they were paying college students to participate. Yea, which one of these scientists is accepting a cheque?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 04:57 pm
The Richter Scale, the Metric System, the Titsling Formula.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 02:09 am
These days I just tuck them into my jeans.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 04:03 am
There's bra scientists?

Now you tell me.

My father wanted us all to become engineers or scientists but he never, not once, mentioned the interesting field of bra science.

I can just imagine the photos on the wall of the lab.

And wouldn't it be something to come into a room and have 456 women all holding them out for you to measure, examine, heft, bobble..... er, where was I?

Joe(The next challenge is to make them both the same size.)Nation
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 07:57 am
Sglass wrote:

Laughing Laughing
Now I have to clean coffee splatters off my screen!! Laughing
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
Joe Nation wrote:
There's bra scientists?

Now you tell me.

My father wanted us all to become engineers or scientists but he never, not once, mentioned the interesting field of bra science.

I can just imagine the photos on the wall of the lab.

And wouldn't it be something to come into a room and have 456 women all holding them out for you to measure, examine, heft, bobble..... er, where was I?

Joe(The next challenge is to make them both the same size.)Nation

Just imagine Career Day at the high schools! Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:07 am
BBB
happycat wrote:
Sglass wrote:

Laughing Laughing
Now I have to clean coffee splatters off my screen!! Laughing

I fell off my chair.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies