Well that's just RUDE!

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:08 pm
I've also heard that it simply shows that the right hand is empty, thereby demonstrating that one does not hold a weapon, and plans no treachery.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:11 pm
Thank you, Set... that was beautifully (and succintly) written; so well, in fact that I would tend to agree with your hypothesis. It certainly sounds plausible.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've also heard that it simply shows that the right hand is empty, thereby demonstrating that one does not hold a weapon, and plans no treachery.

I've heard this as well, and think that it has some validity; many of the 'salutes' from non-western countries certainly evolved from the 'my hands are empty' concept.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:40 pm
In Spanish cultures, special respect is shown to women and elders. If a young man does not kiss each woman, deferentially on the cheek, and shake the hand of each older man upon entering a room, it is considered boorish.

In modern times the main effect of these old rituals is that greetings are much more involved then is typical for Americans. This is sometimes very nice.

When I see older relatives, I do follow this convention.

When my Spanish nephews and nieces make such an effort to show such deferential respect when they see me... I at times feel like it is a bit of an overkill.

My American nephews and nieces just say "hey Uncle E" with perhaps a hug if I haven't seen them for a while. I am perfectly fine with that too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 04:42 pm
When Everybody Ate at Schrafft's

Quite an interesting Emily Post 1922 citation in general,
http://www.bartleby.com/95/33.html

but this specifically - (italics mine)
WHAT TO WEAR IN A RESTAURANT

Restaurant dress depends upon the restaurant and the city. Because women in New York wear low-necked dresses and no hats, does not mean that those who live in New Town should do the same, if it is not New Town's custom. But you must never wear an evening dress and a hat! And never wear a day dress without one. If in the city where you live, people wear day clothes in the evening, you can only very slightly differ from them.
  It is never good form to be elaborately dressed in a public place, except in a box at the opera or at a charity ball.

Of interest for men, The Evil Swede's Guide to Hat Etiquette -
http://www.bcvc.net/hats/index.htm

It's all tempera et mores.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:39 pm
ebrown wrote :

Quote:
In Spanish cultures, special respect is shown to women and elders. If a young man does not kiss each woman, deferentially on the cheek, and shake the hand of each older man upon entering a room, it is considered boorish.

right now new gas-mains are being laid on our street .
there are quite a few workmen of portuguese background in the work-crews .
it's interesting to see that if another "portuguese" stop by or joins a group , there will always be handshakes all around (whereas the canadians might just grunt at each other) .

when i was still working in germany , it was always "handshakes all around" upon entering the office " - from the apprentice up to the manager - though senior managers (who had their private offices) would usually only greet you with a handshake when you entered their office .
i'm not sure that this is still being practiced .
hbg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:49 pm
Hey! The grunt IS our handshake!

Hoser!

Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:45 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:35 am
People who come to work sick irritate the crap out of me....

Hispanic folks have a custom of touching something they admire; lots of women reach out and touch Yaya's hair.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:48 pm
People who come to work grumpy irritate the crap out of me....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
Mame wrote:
People who come to work grumpy irritate the crap out of me....

People who I irritate make me a little less grumpy.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:58 pm
Quote:
People who I irritate make me a little less grumpy.

that's the spirit Very Happy !
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 03:07 pm
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

T
K
O
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:04 pm
People who are all ebulliently cheerful and chatty at work in the morning irritate the crap out of me.... jeez, lemme acclimatize a bit and come back in the afternoon, k?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:29 pm
Waaiiiiiiting for people... sigh.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 09:07 pm
I hate waiting, period!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 09:07 pm
I am very nice while I'm waiting, though.

Most of the time.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:12 pm
Hah!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:15 pm
nimh wrote:
People who are all ebulliently cheerful and chatty at work in the morning irritate the crap out of me.... jeez, lemme acclimatize a bit and come back in the afternoon, k?

Happy morning whistling.

Will you kindly stop being so damn cheerfull at this hour!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:24 pm
Would you please keep it down! I'm trying to whistle here!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:24:15