Well that's just RUDE!

Reyn

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:38 pm
Re: Well that's just RUDE!
Chai wrote:
[...] Anyone - Chewing with your mouth open...in case no one ever told you, it makes you look like a cow. [...]

[...] Anyone - talking on cell phone where anyone can hear your conversation...take it to a quiet corner. [...]

Two big bugaboos with me. Drives me nuts, especially the cell phone thing, because it's so obvious. Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:31 am
dlowan wrote:
Well, the slop jars and the men taking the brunt surely explains the wearing of the hat OUTSIDE the house! Perhaps it also explains why they were taken off INSIDE?

:wink:

Everybody else is going to find this boring, but you might appreciate it. King Charles II owed a good deal of money to Charles Penn, who loaned him 15,000 pounds when the monarchy was restored and the King was flat broke (lotta money in 1660). But Penn died before Charles could repay him, so he gave his son, William Penn, a huge chunk of North America, which is now Pennsylvania.

William Penn was a Quaker, and therefore did not believe in different "degrees" (meaning he didn't recognize social classes). So when he arrived at Whitehall at the King's request (So Charlie could give him Pennsylvania), he happened to run into him outside. Everyone was walking along with their hat in the hand, except Charles, because one was expected to uncover in the presence of the King. Penn walked up, and greeted the King, at which point Charles swiftly removed his hat. Penn was startled and asked him why he did that. Charles replied that they had a rule that when the King was present, only one man could "keep his hat."

I always liked Charlie--such a real person, and such a decent character. I shudder to think of what Charlie 3 will be like.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 03:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Well, the slop jars and the men taking the brunt surely explains the wearing of the hat OUTSIDE the house! Perhaps it also explains why they were taken off INSIDE?

:wink:

Everybody else is going to find this boring, but you might appreciate it. King Charles II owed a good deal of money to Charles Penn, who loaned him 15,000 pounds when the monarchy was restored and the King was flat broke (lotta money in 1660). But Penn died before Charles could repay him, so he gave his son, William Penn, a huge chunk of North America, which is now Pennsylvania.

William Penn was a Quaker, and therefore did not believe in different "degrees" (meaning he didn't recognize social classes). So when he arrived at Whitehall at the King's request (So Charlie could give him Pennsylvania), he happened to run into him outside. Everyone was walking along with their hat in the hand, except Charles, because one was expected to uncover in the presence of the King. Penn walked up, and greeted the King, at which point Charles swiftly removed his hat. Penn was startled and asked him why he did that. Charles replied that they had a rule that when the King was present, only one man could "keep his hat."

I always liked Charlie--such a real person, and such a decent character. I shudder to think of what Charlie 3 will be like.

That's a keeper......
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:51 am
Another thing I can't stand are "boom cars". Mad

You know the type. You can hear them from two blocks away with the booming music.

Those that drive them love to entertain the entire neighborhood.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:00 pm
I was thinking that this thread has been done before... a very long time ago. After a bit of searching I found this...

W.S. Gilbert wrote:

I've Got a Little List

SONG--KO-KO with CHORUS OF MEN.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list--I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed--who never would be missed!

There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs--
All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs--
All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat--
All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like _that_--
And all third persons who on spoiling tete-a-tetes insist--
They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed!

CHORUS. He's got 'em on the list--he's got 'em on the list;
And they'll none of 'em be missed--they'll none of
'em be missed.

There's the banjo serenader, and the others of his race,
And the piano-organist--I've got him on the list!
And the people who eat peppermint and puff it in your face,
They never would be missed--they never would be missed!
Then the idiot who praises, with enthusiastic tone,
All centuries but this, and every country but his own;
And the lady from the provinces, who dresses like a guy,
And who "doesn't think she waltzes, but would rather like to
try";
And that singular anomaly, the lady novelist--
I don't think she'd be missed--I'm sure she'd not he missed!

CHORUS. He's got her on the list--he's got her on the list;
And I don't think she'll be missed--I'm sure
she'll not be missed!

And that Nisi Prius nuisance, who just now is rather rife,
The Judicial humorist--I've got him on the list!
All funny fellows, comic men, and clowns of private life--
They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed.
And apologetic statesmen of a compromising kind,
Such as--What d'ye call him--Thing'em-bob, and
likewise--Never-mind,
And 'St--'st--'st--and What's-his-name, and also You-know-who--
The task of filling up the blanks I'd rather leave to you.
But it really doesn't matter whom you put upon the list,
For they'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be
missed!

CHORUS. You may put 'em on the list--you may put 'em on the list;
And they'll none of 'em be missed--they'll none of
'em be missed!

0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm
Queue jumpers get right up my nose, also people who just go ahead and place their order at the bar, knowing full well that they've only just arrived and were fully aware that other people were waiting to be served.

I once sat in a restaurant, waiting to have my order taken. A couple arrived and sat at the table next to me and we struck up a conversation, with me telling them that the service wasn't particularly brilliant, as I'd been sitting for a while and still hadn't had the opportunity to place my order.
A few minutes later, the waitress turned up and went straight to the next table with her order pad. Without batting an eyelid, they proceeded to place their order.
I got up noisily, made a point of saying to them that I hoped they enjoyed their meals, and just left.
As with most situations like that, I thought up some brilliant one liners that I should have used whilst on the drive home.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:47 pm
Yeah, getting ignored in a bar or restaurant bugs me, too. Just make some eye contact and I'll be happy.

And queue jumpers! Don't get me started... why they think they are so special that they can butt in...

We have a great commercial here about that, the slogan being, "You wouldn't do that in a line up, why do it on the road? Drive with manners."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 02:17 pm
Doowop wrote:
Queue jumpers get right up my nose, also people who just go ahead and place their order at the bar, knowing full well that they've only just arrived and were fully aware that other people were waiting to be served.

I once sat in a restaurant, waiting to have my order taken. A couple arrived and sat at the table next to me and we struck up a conversation, with me telling them that the service wasn't particularly brilliant, as I'd been sitting for a while and still hadn't had the opportunity to place my order.
A few minutes later, the waitress turned up and went straight to the next table with her order pad. Without batting an eyelid, they proceeded to place their order.
I got up noisily, made a point of saying to them that I hoped they enjoyed their meals, and just left.
As with most situations like that, I thought up some brilliant one liners that I should have used whilst on the drive home.
I think we have all been there dwoop

well obviously not to that particularly crap restaurant, but we get the picture.

Its really annoying, isnt it? The cutting reply just 5 mins too late? My solution is to go home and sit down. Breath deeply for a few minutes. Then go out and lob a brick through the window, and a mixture of petrol and sugar and lighted rag.

Napalm son, smells like... VICTORY
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:04 pm
So, you give up and leave. Why not say something. It doesn't have to be something rude. You can say something nice. When someone cuts in line when I am at the store, then I say something.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:10 pm
I've gotten more assertive as time passes. I would have said something to the waitress in DooWop's situation. The trick to me now would be to do it politely but firmly.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:16 pm
ossobuco
When it has happened to me, I just politely tell the waiter/waitress that I have been waiting while others are being helped so possibly I was over looked. When this has happened the waiter/waitress has told me how sorry they were and yes they were busy and did not realize I had been waiting.

I don't get angry. So, they made a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes.
When I make a mistake I rather someone tell me then go away and be angry about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:21 pm
Doowop wrote:

Actually, I think this is a stroke of genius.

When I neet to do something at the counter of the post office, I grab a number, go check my own box, and return usually before my number has been called.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:32 pm
The reason for the frustration is the seeming increase in frequency and venues for this happening...

1. At a bank, in a long line, two tellers working, three more standing chatting because they're "on a break"... hello? Defer their breaks until the line has been dealt with.

2. Being put on hold for 20 - 25 minutes after already dialing in 12 series of numbers in order to talk to some from your cable company/telephone company/bank/younameit. and then being accidentally disconnected.

3. At a department or grocery store looking for something and finding no one available to help you.

4. Being told by the courier/carpet cleaning/whatever company that they will be there sometime between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., thereby completely dictating your day, only to find they were overbooked and want to reschedule.

5. Calling a contractor and making an appointment, taking the time off work, only to find he's another 'no show'.

And the list goes on. And on. And on.

No wonder tempers get frazzled.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:39 pm
TTH wrote:
So, you give up and leave. Why not say something. It doesn't have to be something rude. You can say something nice. When someone cuts in line when I am at the store, then I say something.

To be honest, we were just about to leave anyway. I just used the opportunity to achieve a dramatic exit, thinking back. I hate bad service, and am very loath to give such a place my hard earned moolah.
I just hope that their fish had lots of tiny bones in. I think we ended up having boiled egg and toast.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:49 pm
Since it wasn't their fault, better to wish 1000 bunions on the server! Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:55 pm
I have just found in asking that most things people get angry about are simple miss-communication. There is always the exception when someone is a real jerk. The situations I have run into where it appears the person is being rude and that is not the case. That is why I try not to judge people or just make assumptions.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:57 pm
Good for you.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
Mame wrote:
Since it wasn't their fault, better to wish 1000 bunions on the server! Laughing

In my opinion, their bad manners contributed to the whole thing. If the situation were reversed and it was me who had just been chatting to the next table about how they had been waiting, I would have told the waitress that those people needed to be dealt with first. Courtesy like that would have eased their plight, put a smile on their faces and most probably would have made me feel quite virtuous for the rest of the evening, which ain't a bad feeling.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 06:25 pm
Fair enough... I'd forgotten you'd been talking...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 06:37 pm
On lines, different cultures treat getting help at a counter differently.

When in Rome....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:31:21