Origins of the nod and the shake. Are breasts involved?

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:30 am
So, what's the consensus on this? Is the theory I put forward plausible?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:35 am
No.

(remembering farmerman's plea for conflict...)

Idiot.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:38 am
Deb's bribes seem to have worked. Anyone out there who is not yet bought?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:40 am
Bought, sold, and cornholed, we all is.

Christ, I wonder if I could go a whole week without doing any work? I wonder if anyone would notice? Prolly not. My and your tax dollars at work (only there's no income tax here, and the state coffers are more than empty, and it's mostly alumni dollars).

Do de do de do de do...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:49 am
nodding originated from men trying to look women in the eye while speaking to them. And then they'd do what the woman was asking them to do because they wanted to get in her, um, bear skins. So, the women associated this with assent. And, shaking the head is something men do after peei- oh, shaking the head is the natural opposite of nodding.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:50 am
...look women in the what?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:51 am
Sounds like lil'k's theory also involves breasts.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:52 am
heehee

actually, Craven, I think there has been some research on your original hypothesis.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:55 am
I know there has, deb is just trying to poke holes in it because she thinks breasts are dirty.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:56 am
she does, does she.....?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:59 am
Yes, she says they are just for nursing. Men make them dirty sex objects or something.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:10 pm
Re: Origins of the nod and the shake. Are breasts involved?
Craven de Kere wrote:
I think it's origins lie in brteats feeding. When the baby wants more the baby thrusts his/her head forward. When it has an unwanted breast forced on him/her the baby will oft throw his/her head to the side. I think this might be the root of virtical=yes lateral=no.

The only problem with this little theory, as I already pointed out, is that that is not what breastfeeding babies DO. "Rooting", or trying to find the breast, is usually side-to-side. It seems unlikely that a baby would find a proferred breast unwanted, but if so, the movement of avoidance is likely to be to throw the head straight back. So that leaves us with side-to-side for "yes", up for "no."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:12 pm
I contest that. I've seen many babies throw their heads to the side to show boob rejection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:13 pm
How, if you never look at breastfeeding moms?

Hmmm? Hmmm?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:15 pm
The thesis would seem to make more sense if it equated the nod and the shake to motions made while being spoon fed. Tilt head up to accept food offered on spoon from above when the food is welcome; turn head to the side (away from the proferred spoon) when it is not. Is there a general correlation between the shake-for-yes cultures and the presence or lack of spoon feeding?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:15 pm
Craven - really, now. You're going to contest Soz on this issue?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:16 pm
I don't like to look, especially when it's in public. Nothing like breastfeeding to make you stare at an elevator's ceiling.

But I didn't always feel uncomfortable and have observed it many times.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:17 pm
little k,

Yes. It would be an insult to intellectual curiosity for me to not contest her when I think she is not right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:17 pm
Laughing littlek

Now patiodog's making some sense.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:19 pm
As I said, I haven't seen a lot of boob rejection. So I'm not on absolutely firm ground there. But rooting is more side-to-side than up-and-down. The classic rooting reflex is to stroke the baby's cheek, and the baby turns towards you with mouth open ready to nurse.
0 Replies