Origins of the nod and the shake. Are breasts involved?

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:15 pm
Ok, now that Gautam has gallantly helped me win a minor (if such is ever minor) victory over dastardly Deb I am free to start this debate.

I had contended that nodding and shaking were universal gestures and Deb was quick to shoot me down. Now that my wounded self was helped to my feet by Gautam I'd like to discuss the origin of this universal bit of body language.

I think it's origins lie in brteats feeding. When the baby wants more the baby thrusts his/her head forward. When it has an unwanted breast forced on him/her the baby will oft throw his/her head to the side. I think this might be the root of virtical=yes lateral=no.

What do you think?

And isn't it fun to flout Deb? ;-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,651 • Replies: 83
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:43 pm
All right, here we go. However it's done in India, there are places -- the bush of Botswana, for instance -- where a nod means no and a shake means yes. (I will only reveal this to Deb under extreme duress, however.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:54 pm
Drat! Ok, so in Bostwana the babies eat rocks right? No breast feeding? Or maybe the anatomy is different and ...

Oh well the theory stands for debate regardless of the very odd folk who have it all backwards and don't know fine body language.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 02:56 pm
now that's some backwards thinking
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:13 pm
Soooooo - exactly WHAT did that pestilential and ignorant man, my good friend Gautam, have to say Craven?

I saw that Patio - and there is a lovely fresh bone behind my back for you!

'Tis a somewhat interesting thesis Craven, nonetheless.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:21 pm
It's a rotten bone. Probably from the little puppy she ran over! Don't fall for it!

Husker,

Twas kidding, I really don't think any rock eating culture is backwards.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:38 pm
Craven, nice theory, but nah. I don't know how many breastfeeding babies you've observed, or if you have a _really_ good memory, but that's not how it happens. If anything, side-to-side would be positive/ yes, as that's the action taken (called rooting) when a baby is trying to locate the nipple and then latch on.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:43 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:47 pm
Hmm, I really should start staring at breastfeeders instead of looking away. But I seem to remember babies throwing their heads to the side when a mother mistakenly thinks that the baby is crying because he/she is hungry. And if the mother insisted the baby would continue to avoid the breast being forced at him/her and move its (I tired of the lack of unisex pronoun already) head back and forth.

But I do think the nodding part is kinda weak.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:50 pm
I can see getting a milk shake but not egg nog or was that nod???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:52 pm
Throwing their heads away, maybe, but no prevalent directional orientation.

Sorry, Husker. I post too much on a parenting forum, I guess. We throw these terms around with no shame all the time there. Very Happy

Oh, and Craven? The staring thing might not go over too well. Just FYI.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:55 pm
Man - I need a laugh and I'll getting here, slippin over to the XMAS avaitar
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:57 pm
LOL!

(But I as just doing research! - screams man as he is jailed for indecent behaviour.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:59 pm
I'd not be able to do it either. I get a bit irked when people breastfeed in public because I feel duty bound not to look that way. On a crowded subway this can be bothersome.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 04:09 pm
Oh, pshaw. Goggle-eyed staring for long amounts of time, no. Pretending that the breastfeeding mama doesn't exist, no need.

The sozlet had the unfortunate habit, when younger, of becoming convinced that something incredibly interesting was taking place immediately behind her while she was nursing in public, and suddenly craning her head back, giving everyone a real good look-see. Since my choices were remain a recluse until approximately her first birthday or nurse in public on occasion, I eventually worked out a system where I draped a thin cotton b&w print pareo over her; she could see out, but people couldn't see in.

How ya doin', Husker? Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 04:17 pm
Sorry, modestly makes me stare at the ceiling. I know some women get angered at this attitude ("it's the most beautiful thing in the world!" "yeah but there's a baby attached to it!") but I feel like a voyeur and yes I know breasts are for babies first and foremost but I can't help it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 04:22 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean, actually. From the mom's perspective it's so so so mundane, but I know that if you don't have that context, it's jarring. I definitely didn't want people, like, coming over and admiring (which would seem to go with "most beautiful thing in the world!") but I didn't mind if glances went my way.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 04:50 pm
Even if I could get over the fact that breasts are involved I'd still find it awkwardly intimate.

Anywho, I'm cross posting this to the parenting forum.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 06:23 pm
The head going up and down comes from forced assent when the babysitter is shaking the baby back and forth screaming, "You're an evil boy, aren't you!? Aren't you and evil boy?!?!? SAY YOU'RE EVIL!!!!"

At least, that's how I recomember it. Not sure where the "no" head shake came from. Maybe it was from trying to dodge the arrows without dropping the apple.

(And dlow, I disdain your bone. Now, if you had a nice pig's ear, that'd be something else altogether.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 07:21 pm
Pig's ear for patio coming right up - free range raised, of course....
0 Replies