The store is Open...The store is Close...err I mean ClosED

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:49 am
Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and have been snooping around. Seems like a wealth of information on here. My question is this. How come the logical pair open/close don't have the same adjective form? We say 'it's open' and not 'it's close' but rather 'it's closed'.

I know we use open and closed because they make sense. The store is open, the store is closed. What I'm trying to find out is a little more historical/etymological. Why did the adjective form evolve into 'closed' rather than 'close'. Is it for phonetic reasons? Because 'open' has Germanic origins and 'close' French?
Question
Hope you can help me out.

Michael
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,276 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
fugoalie- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy . I don't know too much about etymology, but your question got me to thinking. Usually we say, "The store is open", but would it not be just as correct to say, "The store is opened"? (or has opened).

Roberta, (she's our English guru) HELP!

0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:59 am
Maybe someone has a better explanation, but I'm guessing it's just another weird English idiom similar to using "good morning," "good evening," etc. as greetings, but not "good night." Confused
0 Replies

fugoalie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:09 am
What I had been thinking was that it is a phonetical convenience. I'm not to sure on the dates but maybe the use of 'close' (meaning near) existed before close (the verb). So out of convenience a d was stuck on the end for the adjective form of 'to close'. Saying the store is closed sounds much better than the store is close. I dunno! Help!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:16 am
I was thinking the same thing, fugoalie! (Welcome!)

Isn't this true of everything, not just stores, though? The box is open, the box is closed.

I think "open" and "shut" are perhaps more proper antonyms, along with "opened" and "closed."

Hmm...

ROBOITA!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 10:08 am
Yep, I had the same thoughts as other stated already as far as being a weird twist of words. "Open" indicates that the store is open now where closed indicates something that happend in the past. I guess if we used "it's opened"/"it's closed" the consistancy would be maintained. "It's close" just sounds weird. lol
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:48 pm
It might also have to do with clarification between the store is close (shut) and the store is close (near).
0 Replies

fugoalie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:01 pm
Yea that may be the reason for the phonetical clarification. People got tired of saying it's close! it's close!

Tom: Hey Bob how far is the public bathhouse?
Bob: Oh it's close.
Tom: It is? I thought it was open?
Bob: Mad I didn't say it's close, I said it's close!!
Tom: Shocked WHAT?
lololol

They probably just stuck on a D. Still thought I'd like to find out the history behind it you know? I'm going to check the big mama OED tonight, now if I only remember where I put the magnifying glass.. Shocked
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:45 pm
Hiya Fugoalie and welcome to a2k. I can tell correct and incorrect. But I'm no expert in etymology. Maybe Craven knows.

It may be the case that closed became the adjective in order to distinguish the word from close (near), but applying such logic to English is often futile.

Sorry I can't help.
0 Replies