Big scare!

Eva

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:03 pm
We were planning a trip to Wichita Falls and Dallas starting today, then a week visiting my sister in Seattle. We planned to take Liam (our adorable almost-3-year-old Cavalier) with us to Texas, then he would stay here at a petsitter's house while we went to Washington. Knowing that he'd be around other dogs while we stayed in Texas and then here at the petsitter's, I thought I'd make sure all his vaccinations were current. It was time for his annual exam anyway.

So on Thursday, I took him to the vet. "Any problems?" she asked. None...he's been perfectly fine. She said they were running a special this month on full-spectrum bloodwork. Just to proactively catch anything that might go unnoticed. $30 instead of the regular $100. So I said okay.

Yesterday, she called me back. Liam's bloodwork had come back, and she was very alarmed. His kidney numbers were extremely high. He only had about 25% kidney function left. It was a little strange that he hadn't showed any symptoms yet, but not unheard of in a young dog. Still, this was Very Serious.

It could be one of three things. Prognoses varied with the cause.
1. It could be that something was wrong with his kidneys congenitally, and we never knew. In that case, there would be very little they could do, and she guessed he'd probably only live another year at most.
2. He could have ingested some sort of toxin. Antifreeze, raisins, grapes, lilies, chemicals. Any exposure? No, we didn't think so. But he could have come in contact with something on a walk, maybe? If so, the damage would most probably be permanent. Again, not a lot they could do.
3. He might have contracted leptosporosis. This is a deadly infection they can pick up from contact with the urine of wild animals, notably raccoons, possums, skunks or rats. We are just a few blocks from the river, and we see most of these animals routinely in our neighborhood. With all the rain we've had lately, the vet said, it could even be in the ground water. It takes 10 days for the lepto test to come back, but it is curable with antibiotics if caught early enough. Some permanent damage might occur, but probably not enough to seriously compromise his lifespan.

The vet suggested starting him on IV antibiotics immediately, reasoning that if his numbers came down within 1-4 days, it would effectively prove that it was lepto. (In a week or so, the original test results would confirm it.) If not, there was no harm in giving him antibiotics. She didn't know exactly how long it would take to get it under control. They might be able to release him in one or two days, maybe four.

Lepto is highly contagious to humans as well as other dogs (cats seem to be immune, strangely enough.) So if it was lepto, Hubby, SonofEva and I needed to contact our family doctor immediately to start on an antibiotic regimen ourselves. And we would have to notify everyone who had a dog that had come in contact with Liam in the past few weeks. Arrrgh!

So we cancelled our trip to Texas and checked him into the veterinary hospital yesterday. SonofEva brought the T-shirt he sleeps in to put in Liam's cage. (He sleeps with him every night.) We all three sat at home last night biting our fingernails, waiting for her to call us this afternoon and tell us what his blood test showed today. Hoping as hard as we could that the numbers would go down.

At 3 o'clock today, we couldn't stand it any longer so we called. They were all puzzled. His numbers today were perfectly normal. There was no way that 24 hours of antibiotics could have brought the numbers down that far. So they did the bloodwork again. Again, it was perfectly normal.

They deduced that the original results must have been a lab error.

We were there to pick up Liam within 30 minutes. Yes, all three of us. We were so happy to know there was nothing wrong with him!!!!! Hooray!!!!!

On Monday, I will deal with them about the bill. I think they owe us a BIG refund.

Whew. Liam isn't the only tired puppy around here. I am exhausted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,070 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:12 pm
@$*&^#$#%^!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad he's ok.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:17 pm
Geez, Eva.

thank goodness your baby's okay.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:27 pm
I guess these things happen for a reason.

We just found out that the relative who was going to keep Liam in Wichita Falls just lost one of her dogs who has been ill for awhile, and is afraid her other dogs may have caught it. SH!T!!! And she didn't even tell us she had sick dogs...we found out by talking to another family member!!! How irresponsible is THAT!

It's a VERY good thing we didn't go after all!

(I didn't wanna go anyway.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 09:06 pm
Wow, is all I can say.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 09:09 pm
He's not quite three years old? He must have been very young when we met. A beautiful and friendly dog, by the way.

Eva, I would appreciate your not scaring me like this again.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 09:36 pm
Yes, he was not quite a year old when you met him, roger. Still a baby. He has put on quite a bit of weight since then. Too much, in fact. He is going on a diet when we get back from Seattle.

Sorry, I will try not to scare you again. This definitely scared us. As soon as our nerves settle down, I bet we're gonna get angry. (I'm going to try to time that to coincide with talking to the vet about the bill. :wink: )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:04 pm
Lab error..... as a lab tech, I growl at that happening. Sometimes lab errors are at the specimen entry level or reporting level. Mumbles.

Glad, very very glad, for the good news.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:06 pm
Argh! I am happy that your baby is ok, but you canceled your trip!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:31 pm
Eva, Heaving a major sigh of relief for you. And throwing in a snarl (grrrrr) for such a lab lapse.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
Eva--

There have been so many heart-aching pet threads lately, I'm glad your story had a happy ending.

So, so, sorry that you'll miss seeing your beloved family.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 07:53 am
Wowee. I'm so glad this ended well...!

And grring at the false positive and grring at the person not telling you that her dogs were sick -- why do people do that?!

Glad it all worked out though.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:32 am
Whew, that was hard to read about but happy that you have good news in the end. Hope our weather stays nice for you in Seattle.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:43 am
Phew! I'm always scared to come into these threads because I end up crying a lot and I'm glad it didn't turn out that way this time.

Phew!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:51 am
Eva
Stupid Laboratory! Stupid pet sitter! Smart family! Loveable dog!

Now you can return to Venice and your party planning.

BBB
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:15 pm
sozobe wrote:
...grring at the person not telling you that her dogs were sick -- why do people do that?!

Why do my in-laws do anything the way they do? It's an unanswerable question. They're pathological, I tell you.

<shakes head and eyes Hubby suspiciously>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
poor puppy! poor you! well, it's such occassions that bring the family closer together. errrr, silver lining..
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:22 pm
martybarker wrote:
Whew, that was hard to read about but happy that you have good news in the end. Hope our weather stays nice for you in Seattle.

I won't actually be staying in Seattle. My sister lives outside Anacortes, north of Seattle. Where are you, martybarker?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
I'm about 20 minutes north of Downtown. It takes me about 2 hours to get to Anacortes. Will you be ferrying over to Friday Harbour? maybe you'll see some orca. It's so pretty up there!
There is an airport in Bellingham, do you fly there or into Sea-tac?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:56 am
We fly into Sea-Tac. I tried Bellingham, but it was too expensive. Yes, I think we will go to Friday Harbor. I loved it when I was up there two years ago, and I want Hubby to see it. He didn't make the last trip. SonofEva and I missed the ferry and splurged on a charter flight over. It wasn't that much, really. The plane flew very low and the islands were gorgeous from the air.

I'll PM you my cell number. I don't know exactly where I'll be when, because I don't know what the rest of my group has planned. But maybe we can figure out how to meet? Halfway, maybe, for lunch?
0 Replies