American History, First Settlers

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 01:46 pm
Please help. I am searching for a starting point in the study of American History beginning with the first settlers and going through to about 1799. I would appreciate any help. (i.e. web links, books, comments, etc...) Thank you up front.

1deacon4u
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,710 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Charli

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:10 pm
Ask Jeeves . . .
Who were the first American settlers?

Here's a search from "Ask Jeeves." Looks like some interesting sites. Place your cursor on the line above and hit "enter." Good luck! And WELCOME to A2K!!! Smile
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 01:38 am
Deak could have done that, somehow you sound sarcastic, and yet I can't figure out how a silent actor talks!

Native Americans were the first to discover America.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:27 am
I dont know how old you are, from the wording of your question, you appear to be a serious student so,If I may pass on a passion of mine, its the first peopleing of the Americas. There is some exciting work being done now that is suggesting that the Ameicas were populated by various migrations from many "motherlands"
If you go to Google and type in some of these sites, you may be surpirised to learn that our hemisphere is a lot more complicated , settlement-wise than all the old stories that were presented on TV in the 1970s

These are some interesting map locations

L'Anse Amour-Labrador
Cactus Hill-Virginia
Shoop-Pennsylvania
Meadowcroft-Pennsylvania
Monte Alegre-Brazil
Monte Verde-Chile
And of course the ever popular Clovis New Mexico
I think youll get more out of an inquiry if you discover it yourself than if we just link you up. There are many questions that scientists are playing with like,
what are the cultural and craft similarities of artifacts seen in the possible motherlands (burila mounds, tool similarities, settlement locations in the areas that are now submerged by ocean rises.

Heres a series of maps that plot the locations of projectile points of the very oldest cultures in the US.This area of inquiry is exciting because its a constant discovery and recasting of old chestnuts that were almost dogma until relatively recently.
Also, looking at the biochem makeup of many old skeletons could shed further lights on the population associations of the remains. However , there many impediments to science in this area because many native americans feel that all these remains are their property and wont even discuss inquiries (I feel that since osteocalcin with leftover DNA frags for a 9000 year old"Kenewic Man" skeleton appeared to be a closer relative to a Slovak or Irish ancestor than an AMerind, the Native Americans are getting panicky as this whole area of study has been politicised by well meaning but culturally blinded individuals)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:30 am
oops, forgot the map locations.

http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/research/paleo/maps.htm
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 06:48 am
I AM SADDENED . . .
NNY - I'm saddened by the comment that "Good luck!" and "WELCOME" sounded sarcastic. Please accept my apologies - to you and to anyone else. Maybe it would be best not to try to be so helpful. Not everyone is aware of all the facilities on the Web. I'll have to rethink how to go about this if I should decide to search again. Sad
0 Replies

John Garvey

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 07:06 am
See if you can find a copy of "America B.C." by Barry Fell. Amazon lists it as "out of print - limited availablity", but they list a few copies that are available. Check the library too of course.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:53 am
Here are a few links that may help. Welcome to a2k. Let us know if you need something more specific.

http://www.friendsofpast.org/forum/battle.html

http://www.pbs.org/ancestorsintheamericas/timeline.html

http://www.peak.org/csfa/mt12-1.html
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:41 pm
Don't apologize, apologizing sounds sarcastic. It's not your fault, I'm extremely paranoid. I WISH I KNEW HOW YOU TALKED! I can't read it in my brain!
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:07 pm
http://www.nbbd.com/godo/history/windover/

7000 Year old site in Titusville, FL. The oldest Americans. Discovered in 1985 by a backhoe operator in a FL. bog. Arrow
0 Replies