The Talons of the Cat: Grey Panther Fingernails

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 01:34 pm
I've never been displayed or coveted dramatically ornamental fingernails. During busy spells, I begrudge the time to keep them clipped short and symetrical. Polish? Forget it.

Every so often for the last several years one or two or three or none of my fingernails exhibit cross-ways ridges as though the nail is morphing into a talon.

I've read in medical columns that is a sign of age. I saw a dermatologist who assured me the condition was "normal". I asked, "Why?" and the great guru told me, "Because!" and bustled out of the room.

Can anyone tell me why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,204 • Replies: 10
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:18 am
Noddy, I've wondered about my nail ridges too. Here's a link from www. webmd.com :

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/130/32415.htm?lastselectedguid=

It mostly says that thickening and ridges are normal with aging - sounds about like what your doctor said...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
Mac 11--

Thanks for the link--even though "normal aspect of aging" is not particularly informative.

I did find the answer to a question that has troubled me for 25 years--why the toenails on a broken leg grow more slowly than toenails on the sound leg.

Blood supply was my guess--but the conformation is satisfactory.

And I'd still like to know "Why ridged nails." The next dermatologist I meet is going to get sandbagged.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:55 am
I rarely work but I notice when I type for any length of time my fingernails grow faster. When I jogged regularly I had to trim my toe nails more often too. I now trim my finger nails maybe twice a month and toe nails maybe once or twice a year.

If your leg is broken you don't exercise it therefore your toenails grow more slowly. That's all there is to it.

Women should always use polish on their nails. Clear polish if they are over 50. Women that don't polish their nails are either resigned to the fact that they are over the hill or at least headed in that direction. Next thing to look for them to do is get a man's haircut. Then you know it is really all over with them. As far as they are concerned.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:12 am
Sounds like it's always all over for men, what with the nails and the haircuts and all.

Must be awful.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:42 am
I have never met a troll with less subtlety than good 'ole JW.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:49 am
Nah.

His subtlety is so subtle as to be invisible.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:33 am
Signal Red is a nice color for women over 50 should they prefer red to clear. It compliments any complexion as well as any color hair or eyes. :wink:

There is something for all women when you come right down to it. If they would only think, which is some cases may be asking just a little bit too much.

I shouldn't poke fun as I am a man who loves all women. Well lots of them anyway. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
Oh, pooh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:57 am
Signal Red.

Is that from a particular product line?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:59 am