AMA Offers Online Docs' Guide for Gauging Driver Safety

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 10:17 am
Jul 30, 2003
AMA Offers Online Docs' Guide for Gauging Driver Safety
By Lindsey Tanner
The Associated Press

CHICAGO (AP) - The American Medical Association is offering a new Internet guide to help doctors decide whether their elderly patients are still fit to drive.
"It's a lot easier to prevent tragedy than to deal with tragedy once it has occurred," said AMA trustee Dr. John H. Armstrong, a trauma surgeon in San Antonio. "This guide is all about preventing the tragedy."

The AMA said the guide was conceived and prepared long before two recent serious crashes involving elderly motorists in California and Florida.

The guide recommends that doctors ask patients if they have difficulty driving. Doctors are told to be alert for things that might hamper driving ability, such as cataracts, arthritis, strokes and certain medications.

Doctors are also reminded to comply with state laws on reporting unfit drivers. Thirteen states have laws requiring some kind of reporting by doctors about patients deemed medically unfit to drive, Armstrong said.

The guide was to be made available on the AMA's Web site starting Wednesday, with a free print version to follow later this year.

It comes a week after a 79-year-old man lost control of his car and injured three people at a farmers market in Flagler Beach, Fla. Earlier this month, 10 people were killed and dozens injured when an 86-year-old man plowed into a farmers market near Los Angeles.

"Per mile driven, older drivers have more crashes," Armstrong said. And with an aging baby boomer population, "we really need to focus on enhancing older driver safety now."

The AMA published its first physicians' guide for determining driving fitness in 1959. It has been updated several times since then. The new guide is the AMA's first online version and is more comprehensive than previous editions, with information on motor-vehicle laws in every state.
---------------------

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA6PCBIRID.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 624 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
As much as I feel for the elderly, I agree that something needs to be done. There is a very large elderly population where I live and I've seen accidents and many close calls caused by elderly drivers. Last summer I saw an accident where an elderly woman came out of a side street and just slammed into a pick-up truck that was right in front if her face. The man in the truck was ok, but I ran over to the woman who hit her head on her door window and I stayed there with her to comfort her until the ambulance came. The woman was talking and besides being upset, she seemed ok. A man with a phone called 911 and they asked me to ask her if she was on any medication and when I asked her her reply was "yes". Obviously this woman shouldn't have been driving. The woman kept insisting that she was in the clear when she came out of the side street when there were many witnesses that saw what happened. I felt terrible for this poor woman, but you've got to put safety first. The man she hit felt very bad as well and it wasn't even his fault. I know when I reach that age that it's going to be very hard when I have to retire my car keys, but that's what cabs are for.
0 Replies