Up or Down Votes

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:48 pm
So the event last night at the capitol regarding an up or down vote, the filabuster, etc has raised a question in my mind.

Rewind to a year or two ago when Republicans threatened to shut down Congress when Democrats wouldn't give an up or down vote on Judicial members. Democrats objected.

Today Democrats are threatening to shut down Congress (or they are 'almost' threatening that) if the Republicans wouldn't give an up or down vote on the war. Republicans object.

So, the Democrats don't like it when parlimentary procedures are used against them, but they don't mind using them against Republicans.

AND

Republicans don't like it when parlimentary procedures are used against them, but they don't mind using them against Democrats.

Are there any differences in these two cases that I'm missing that might make this make sense to the general population?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 748 • Replies: 19
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:32 am
Granted I've been out of the news loop lately -- I remember the big Republican stink about the "nuclear option" but haven't heard similar talk coming from the Democrats.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
I believe that's because the Republicans had enough of a majority to threaten the "nuclear option" and the Dems, right now, do not.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
Do tell. Do you need more than a simple majority to change the senate rules but less than you need for cloture? I'm asking purely out of curiosity.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:40 pm
the nuclear option happened when they change the votes needed to over-ride a filibuster by the minority party from 67 votes to 60. The Republicans had 60 votes so could exercise that option, but chose not to. The Dem's in the senate now do not have 60 guaranteed votes so can not attempt to threaten with such.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:
the nuclear option happened when they change the votes needed to over-ride a filibuster by the minority party from 67 votes to 60. The Republicans had 60 votes so could exercise that option, but chose not to. The Dem's in the senate now do not have 60 guaranteed votes so can not attempt to threaten with such.

The votes needed to over-ride a fillibuster by the minority party is 60, not 67. You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Quote:
Changes to Senate rules

Because Senate rules require a 60-vote majority to end debate under most circumstances, a minority of 41 senators can prevent a final vote on most proposals, effectively defeating them. The practice of talking or debating on the Senate floor to prevent a vote from taking place is known as a filibuster. A three-fifths vote, or a 60-vote majority, is required to approve cloture and end such debate. A formal change to the Senate's rules are even more difficult to make: Senate rule 22 states that such a change requires a two-thirds majority of those present and voting to end debate (67 votes if all senators vote).[2]

A point of order is a parliamentary motion used to remind the body of its written rules and established precedents, usually when a particular rule or precedent is not being followed. When a senator raises a point of order, the presiding officer of the Senate immediately rules on the validity of the point of order, but this ruling may be appealed and reversed by the whole Senate. Ordinarily, a point of order compels the Senate to follow its rules and precedents; however, the Senate may choose to vote down the point of order. When this occurs, a new precedent is established, and the old rule or precedent no longer governs Senate procedure. Similarly, it is possible to raise a point of order and state that the standard procedure of the Senate is actually different than the current rules and precedents suggest. If this point of order is sustained, a new precedent is established, and it controls Senate procedure thenceforth.

The Constitutional Option is used in response to a filibuster or other dilatory tactic. A senator makes a point of order calling for an immediate vote on the measure before the body, outlining what circumstances allow for this. The presiding officer of the Senate, usually the vice president of the United States or the president pro tempore, makes a parliamentary ruling upholding the senator's point of order. (The constitution is cited at this point, since otherwise the presiding officer is bound by precedent.) A supporter of the filibuster may challenge the ruling by asking, "Is the decision of the Chair to stand as the judgment of the Senate?" This is referred to as "appealing from the Chair." An opponent of the filibuster will then move to table the appeal. As tabling is non-debatable, a vote is held immediately. A simple majority decides the issue. If the presiding officer's ruling is upheld, the Senate will then hold a vote on the substantive measure under consideration. Thus a simple majority is able to cut off debate. The filibuster or dilatory tactic would thereafter be barred by the new precedent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option

The Republicans never had 67 votes to over-ride anything. The whole point of the Nuclear option is that it changes the rules, and requires only a simple majority to end the practice of fillibustering. If you already have 60 votes, you don't need the nuclear option, b/c you just vote for cloture and win. The whole reason it was brought up last time is b/c the Republicans didn't have 60 votes, let along 67.

Research before posting, plz

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:09 pm
Wow, you don't read much do you before getting your chest all puffed out.

Read what I wrote. I won't hold my breath waiting for your apology.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
I'll go line by line.

Quote:
the nuclear option happened when they change the votes needed to over-ride a filibuster by the minority party from 67 votes to 60.

The nuclear option describes any use of palimentary procedures to circumvent the normal voting requirements. What you are describing is a compromise in the rule changes that took place:

Quote:
The nuclear option was officially moved by Senator Clinton P. Anderson (D-NM) (1963), Senator George McGovern (D-SD) (1967), and Senator Frank Church (D-ID) (1969), but was each time defeated or tabled by the Senate. The option was adopted by the Senate three times in 1975 during a debate concerning the cloture requirement. A compromise was reached to reduce the cloture requirement from two-thirds (67 votes) to the three-fifths (60 votes) and also to approve a point of order revoking the earlier three votes in which the Constitutional Option had been invoked. (This was an effort to reverse the precedent that had been set for cloture by majority vote).

The modern use of the term 'nuclear option' is to change the number of votes needed to end Fillibusters to 51, or a simple majority. This would effectively end the practice of fillibusters in the Senate.

Quote:
The Republicans had 60 votes so could exercise that option, but chose not to.

Actually, it was the Democrats who were running the place at the time, if you are referring to the period in which cloture was dropped from 67 to 60. And, if you're referring to the latest scrap, the Republicans only needed 60 to make cloture anyways. Your statement here is crap either way.

Quote:
The Dem's in the senate now do not have 60 guaranteed votes so can not attempt to threaten with such.

The whole point of the Nuclear option is that the Dems wouldn't need 60 votes to get cloture. They would change the rules so they would only need 51, which they have. This doesn't make any sense either.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:45 pm
Cyclo, I'm not one to defend McG, and you seem to have the facts on your side, but perhaps you make it a little extra difficult to admit mistakes when you berate him about being wrong beforehand. I know you two have a history of hostility and all, but in this case maybe you could allow him a graceful out for the sake of civility?

For example: yes McG, what you say seems to have been true in the 70's, but most recently the suggested nuclear option rule change was from 60 to 51 etc...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:51 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Cyclo, I'm not one to defend McG, and you seem to have the facts on your side, but perhaps you make it a little extra difficult to admit mistakes when you berate him about being wrong beforehand. I know you two have a history of hostility and all, but in this case maybe you could allow him a graceful out for the sake of civility?

For example: yes McG, what you say seems to have been true in the 70's, but most recently the suggested nuclear option rule change was from 60 to 51 etc...

I appreciate what you are saying, but I'm not concerned with being nice to McG.

What he said wasn't true in the 70's, as what he described wasn't the nuclear option, he had the parties involved reversed, and his last sentence was factually incorrect. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:02 pm
I'll try not to help you anymore in the future freeduck, Obviously Cyc knows everything so just ask him.

I don't know why we even need a website like this. It should be "Just ask Cycloptichorn."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I'll try not to help you anymore in the future freeduck, Obviously Cyc knows everything so just ask him.

I don't know why we even need a website like this. It should be "Just ask Cycloptichorn."

I don't know everything. I had a suspicion that you were wrong, so I went and did some research on it before I posted. Try it, and avoid embarrassment in the future.

You don't help anyone by spouting off inaccurate bullsh*t.

Quote:

Read what I wrote. I won't hold my breath waiting for your apology.

Damn good thing for you, isn't it?

Thanks for playing, though

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:16 pm
Re: Up or Down Votes
maporsche wrote:
So the event last night at the capitol regarding an up or down vote, the filabuster, etc has raised a question in my mind.

Rewind to a year or two ago when Republicans threatened to shut down Congress when Democrats wouldn't give an up or down vote on Judicial members. Democrats objected.

Today Democrats are threatening to shut down Congress (or they are 'almost' threatening that) if the Republicans wouldn't give an up or down vote on the war. Republicans object.

So, the Democrats don't like it when parlimentary procedures are used against them, but they don't mind using them against Republicans.

AND

Republicans don't like it when parlimentary procedures are used against them, but they don't mind using them against Democrats.

Are there any differences in these two cases that I'm missing that might make this make sense to the general population?

You aren't necessarily missing anything which one can assume is obvious to the general population--but i do think you are displaying a lack of perspective. It was never certain that a large proportion of the population passionately felt that Bush's judicial nominees ought to be quickly confirmed, whereas it is reasonable to say that a significant majority of the population (well over 51%) feel that the administration has handled the war badly, and want the war to end. Additionally, Bush got more of his judicial nominees and other appointed officials approved than was the case, for example, when Clinton faced a Republican dominated Congress. So the two situations are not necessarily analogous.

By the way, it is not a "straight up and down" vote--to end debate and force a floor vote, according to Senate rules, there are only two ways to accomplish this. One is with a cloture vote, which requires that there be a quorum, and that three-fifths of the quorum vote to end debate. The Democrats don't have enough votes to do this, just as the Republicans didn't have enough votes to do that in th past.

The other way is for the Majority Leader to move a point of order, and end debate with a "straight up and down vote" on the floor--i.e., just a simple majority. This is known in the Senate at the Byrd option, because it was twice used by Majority Leader Byrd in the 1970s. To the press, it is known as the "nuclear option," because Trent Lott threatened to use a point of order vote to end debate on judicial nominations, and the Democrats promised to paralyze the Senate by filibustering all business if Lott took that step. Alternatively, some people claim that it is called the nuclear option because if a point of order were used to overrule a rule of the Senate, that would establish a precedent which would void that Senate rule in all cases--so if a majority party used the Byrd option recklessly, most Senate rules could be blasted away.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:24 pm
The Republicans under McConnell have signaled that they intend to force 60 votes on every bill from now on that has anything to do with Iraq at all. I don't recommend that the Dems change the rules, but it's a hell of a lot of obstructionism offered by the other side.

Reid had a great point - every amendment proposed by the dems would have passed easily if the Rep. leadership hadn't filibustered.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:42 pm
Re: Up or Down Votes
Setanta wrote:
It was never certain that a large proportion of the population passionately felt that Bush's judicial nominees ought to be quickly confirmed, whereas it is reasonable to say that a significant majority of the population (well over 51%) feel that the administration has handled the war badly, and want the war to end. Additionally, Bush got more of his judicial nominees and other appointed officials approved than was the case, for example, when Clinton faced a Republican dominated Congress. So the two situations are not necessarily analogous.

Yep. Where the Democrats could be said to have been obstructing the will of the president, the Republicans appear to be obstructing the will of the people.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Republicans under McConnell have signaled that they intend to force 60 votes on every bill from now on that has anything to do with Iraq at all. I don't recommend that the Dems change the rules, but it's a hell of a lot of obstructionism offered by the other side.

Reid had a great point - every amendment proposed by the dems would have passed easily if the Rep. leadership hadn't filibustered.

Cycloptichorn

And every bill proposed by the repubs could have passed easily if the dems hadnt filibustered.
Its the way Washington works.
The minority party ALWAYS tries to block what the majority party wants.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

And every bill proposed by the repubs could have passed easily if the dems hadnt filibustered.

Are you talking about during the last few congresses?

Quote:
Nearly 1 in 6 roll-call votes in the Senate this year have been cloture votes.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/18218.html

Triple the usual number. The Republicans are going beyond normal obstuctionism, into the realm of extremity. Do you deny this?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Quote:

Triple the usual number. The Republicans are going beyond normal obstuctionism, into the realm of extremity. Do you deny this?

Cycloptichorn

Why is it "blocking" legislation and obstructionism if the repubs do it,but good statemanship and doing the "will of the people" if the dems do it?

Either way,its the way DC works and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Why is it "blocking" legislation and obstructionism if the repubs do it,but good statemanship and doing the "will of the people" if the dems do it?

Either way,its the way DC works and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

You're wrong about that.

If things get bad enough, the Dems could exercise the Nuclear option and get rid of the fillibuster.

Otherwise, they can wait until 2008 and let the electorate massacre Republican numbers to the point where they can no longer obstruct business.

It's obstructionism either way. I'm no fan of using the filibuster, no matter what team does it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:01 pm
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/654-20070720-filibusterslargeprod_affiliate91_400x316shkl.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies