Does that always make you break out in Valley Girl lingo? Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:08 pm
Oh f'sure, f'sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:16 pm
I know a guy who teaches people to teach kids math. And, yes, they are learning things that adults don't know. But, often what the things are a new ways to learn math. Um. For example, we learned the 7x7=49 by brut force of memorization. Kids today learn that the 7x7 = 7+7+7+7+7+7+7=49. They also learn multiplication, first, through grids:
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ __ __ __ __ __ __

(the double dashes were the only way I could make the grid a square)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:17 pm
Hmmm.... I wonder what the ratio is for adults who are either parents of 8 year olds or teachers of 8 year olds.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:17 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Wow. You guys are like totally numerological, y'know? I'm, like, totally impressed. (Whoever it was that asked about whoever saw an inch and three-quarters stud -- take a tape measure to a two-by-four. The "two" ain't no two inches.)

It ain't no 1 -3/4" either.. It's nominally 1-1/2". Many today are a bit less than that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
I should dig out my Mass. Test for Educator Licensure on general curriculum.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
Wait, ok, so - 1 in 14, right, is baffled by a maths poser for a child of eight.. ok, gottit.. then.. umm.. that means that.. wait, no I know - the answer to that is.. umm..

I dont get it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 03:53 pm
I just know how to calculate a tip in a restaurant. You just double the state tax. Well, you're over-tipping in Laguna Beach because it's 8.25%

Hi, MA! Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:56 pm
Whazzup, LW?!

Restaurant tips are easy. Anybody can figure out 10% on a rounded-off figure. Just double it if you're in a generous mood. If you're not feeling that generous, just take that 10% figure, halve it, add that half to the original 10%. (On second thought, it's prob'ly easier to just carry a pocket calculator and go for the 15%.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:01 pm
Did I remember to tip the waiter at Khouri's? I had had a few martinis and wine! Don't indulge much anymore. Very Happy

(I know this is esoteric PM stuff!)

I was, of course, kidding about the math although not my favorite subject. I did well in school and university with math and now I just use it to calculate tips and millage I'm getting on the car? Actually, I have the latter on my laptop.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:29 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Did I remember to tip the waiter at Khouri's? I had had a few martinis and wine! Don't indulge much anymore. Very Happy

(I know this is esoteric PM stuff!)

I was, of course, kidding about the math although not my favorite subject. I did well in school and university with math and now I just use it to calculate tips and millage I'm getting on the car? Actually, I have the latter on my laptop.
Laughing
0 Replies