Pampering a tetchy bowel

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:23 am
Talked with our neighbour over the fence about this (he's the deputy head of a children's hospital):

all that what was said. If's still not better by tomorrow, it would be better to consult a doctor.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Dried blueberies (otherwise, it seems, there's not enough Pectin in them).*

(Though I think, it should be 'huckleberries'.)

* edited: which sounds a bit stupid

Well, dried blueberries do have more Pectin per unit of volume than fresh ones -- indeed, more anything per unit of volume, because there's no water taking up volume anymore. But you don't create any new Pectin by drying the fruit containing it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:52 am
Excellent, this is all just the information I was going for, thanks so much everyone!

Just picked her up, she didn't need to go to the bathroom at all when she was there. Doesn't need to now. She's smiley and perky and feeling fine. Gave her a banana for a snack, and will put together some variation of the foods mentioned here for lunch. Yogurt really did seem to help but I think I'll avoid that for now because of the dairy question.

As for "diarrhea," that was one thing that was confusing me when I was trying to Google this. I think of the term as having something to do with the appearance of the, um, yield, but a lot of places seemed to treat "frequent bowel movements" and "diarrhea" as synonyms, regardless of appearance.

Anyway, will wait and see at this point, and I have enough suggestions for a day's worth of food I think.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
When I was having my lactose problems, I was able to eat yogurt more easily than say chocolate or cheese. Just an FYI that some things may bother her more than others, if in fact she is having trouble with lactose.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:03 am
having suffered from a nervous gut ( what our retired family physician called it ) pretty well all my life , i know that there are certain foods i can no longer tolerate , raw or uncooked milk being one of them - rice pudding is fine .
at the GI clinic i was told (after two complete INSPECTIONS Shocked !) : if it does not agree with you , do not eat it ! (some scientific advice Laughing ) .

it is probably a trial and error method to find out what the girl can and cannot tolerate - some people kep elaborate diaries noting every spec of food they eat to try and find out the offending substance . i have found out that it is not always the same thing that causes my nervous gut to act up .

as an example : i find that during pollen-allergy season i am more prone to have a bit of a problem .

yoghurt , rusk , very dry whole-wheat toast , rye crisp bread (ryvita) are usually tolerated by my sensitive Laughing body .

the G.I. people told me , it is nothing to worry about : drink plenty of water and eat fibrous foods - thanks for the medical-scientific advice !

sure hope things normalize soon !
hbg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:27 am
I'm with happycat....no way eat drink dairy products with loose stool.

like others, first thing I suspected was lactose intolerance.

Might be something to be observant of....yougurt and ice cream effect me especially bad, as well as milk..cheese, I'm ok with...don't really eat that much of it.

just an aside, the longer I go without drinking cows milk and other cows milk products, the more distasteful the thought of doing so becomes.

It's not at all knowing what it would do to me, but it just seems yucky drinking some animals lactation.

Have you tried soy milk with Kate?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:34 am
I'm not going to look at it as a larger problem that needs addressing yet -- she's still holding, and I'm optimistic that she's on her way out of this particular problem. If it's not an issue from now on, it will have been a problem that lasted less than 24 hours, more like 8 hours depending on how you count.

If not -- if the problem continues or recurs -- then I'll talk to the doc, try soy milk, that kind of thing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
I'm guessing that Kate's system may have been reacting to a stealthy increase of fiber in her diet.

You are making an effort to serve the fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season. Since you're slimming yourself, you're probably cutting down on the amount of fat in everyone's diet.

She's not ailing--she simply owns an efficient digestive system.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
Hmm, it's possible, but I don't think so. I'm not adjusting my diet (just focusing on exercise), and we have a lot of fruit year-round -- probably more now that it's in season though, yeah.

Hamburgers and french fries always get things active for her, I think that plus the Mexican quiche (spicy and fatty) may have just been too much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:09 pm
(Bedtime and she's still fine/ no new uh yield since this morning. Tomorrow will tell but looking good as of now. Thanks again!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:16 pm
Thomas wrote:
Still, the next time you go shopping, it may be worth reading the ingredient lists of Coke and Pepsi, and try it if Pepsin is still on one of them.

this has been on my mind since I read it. finally figured out what bell it was ringing - pineapple

Quote:
The pineapple contains an enzyme called "brosmelin" which resembles pepsin and therefore helps to digest food. It gives relief in digestive disorders.

http://www.supplement-directory.com/article/Pineapple/

A little bit of pineapple or pineapple juice (does it still come in those tiny cans?) used to help my tummy settle on occasion.

~~~

Glad to hear that you've heard from Kate's connection that things are going better errrrrr are better now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:29 pm
Pineapple, cool. Never would have thought.

This is a category in which I'm sorely lacking know-how -- nausea management yes, bowel problem management no -- so I appreciate all of it. I'm sure I'll make use of it again at some point in the future even if Kate's recent problems are in fact over.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:44 pm
And pineapple tastes really good when you put it on the grill.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:57 am
Mmm..!

In terms of tomorrow telling, all's well today.

Meanwhile, does anyone have a secret recipe for tooth-growing elixir? She lost her front teeth a while ago now and the new teeth are taking absolutely forever to grow in. (They're peeking out -- you can barely see the forward edge if you look for it -- but they've been stalled at the same spot for ages.) The big ol' black hole makes lip-reading MUCH harder, and now the next one over on the right side just fell out (so there are three gaps in a row), and the next one over on the left side is very loose.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
Sorry, no tooth growing elexir. My sympathies to Ms. Six-Going-On-Onehundredandsix.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:20 pm
We got "radix iridis" (free, from grandfather's drugstore :wink: )

I just noiced that some (German) online shops still sell it.
(It's more against the pain - you bite on it - but it helps growing, I was told as well. :wink: )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:57 pm
there are "space maintainers" that the dentist can put in until the new tooth starts to fill in .
hbg

(for some reason the URL and whole "message body" line refuse to operate right now . i have no idea how i messed it up ??? )

see link :
http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/OC/Information/ToothWhiteningCosDent/Orthodontics/Orthodontics/SpaceMaintainersForPrematureToothLoss.cvsp
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:54 pm
Oh, I was kidding. They'll grow, they're just taking their sweet time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 04:11 pm
In honour of Kate's tum, I ordered the most marvellous non-alcoholic pineapple lemonade cocktail at lunch today.

Thanks Kate! I wouldn't have considered ordering it if you hadn't brought pineapple to mind.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 07:38 pm
soz :
i realize that you were joking about the tooth-growing elexir .
i just thought that the space maintainers might make lip reading somewhat easier , but i imagine they'll cost plenty .
just think of how proud you'll make the sozlet , she would probably be the only one with spce retainers in school - i'm sure the dentist would be willing to put a little diamond in (laugh emoticon still doesn't work - but i'll laugh anyhow - hope you don't mind ) .
hbg(without a diamond in a tooth - so far)
0 Replies