Is it okay to bribe your kids?

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:24 am
Heatwave has a point. Mo has been through lots and lots of change. It isn't like this is his first crack at it.

Showing him that change can be good by getting a puppy might turn out to be a great move on your part. It might be a life lesson for him that sometimes, change, while unpleasant, also yields some wonderful things.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:03 am
Yeah, Mo has lived through more change in six years than most of us do in a lifetime....

My family moved a lot when we were kids too, Joe. Each house came equipped with ready friends - my siblings. It would have been much harder on all of us if we hadn't had each other.

We have talked a lot about moving. We've spent time at the new house and time wandering the new neighborhood. We've played in the parks and visited the school and.... he swings back and forth between talking excitedly about our new house and saying "I'm not moving."

But there have been a lot of maybes about the move. Everything should gel this week and we can talk one way or another difinitively.

Softening the blow of a hard lesson with a little.... compensation doesn't seem so bad to me.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:12 am
I'm sympathetic, boomer, really I am, but...

Geez, don't you remember how much WORK a new puppy is?!?!? And you're gonna add that to the whole mega-stressful moving/getting settled/renovating pile of stuff you're taking on?!?!?

Wow. Maybe you're Wonder Woman, but that's just WAY too much at once for me. Right now things are relatively calm, but very shortly you're gonna have both hands full. Overflowing, in fact. (And I think the doggie would adjust better once things were settled, too.)

Just my two cents.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:17 am
Eva wrote:

Geez, don't you remember how much WORK a new puppy is?!?!? And you're gonna add that to the whole mega-stressful moving/getting settled/renovating pile of stuff you're taking on?!?!?

Very true. A puppy *is* a lot of hard work. OTOH, it will also be an excellent way to keep a little boy occupied (and happily) while you can focus on the zillion and one other things you will have on your plate, boomerang.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:24 am
Oh I know puppies can be a handfull but this isn't really about what's easiest for me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:38 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Eva wrote:

Very true. A puppy *is* a lot of hard work. OTOH, it will also be an excellent way to keep a little boy occupied (and happily) while you can focus on the zillion and one other things you will have on your plate, boomerang.

AND remember how much fun a puppy can be and how much love a puppy gives and the reward you get every time you step into the room and the puppy wags his tail and loves you 145% like you've been gone a decade....
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:48 am
Bella Dea wrote:
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Eva wrote:

AND remember how much fun a puppy can be and how much love a puppy gives and the reward you get every time you step into the room and the puppy wags his tail and loves you 145% like you've been gone a decade....

Alright, then. I'm off to get a puppy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:05 am
I'll just reiterate my pro-bribery stance with regard to moves and other major events that can be unpleasant for children.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:08 am
Just think of all the great pics that will be taken of Mo and the new puppy in the new house. Years from now, when Mo (and you) look back at them the move will be remembered as a great start to a beautiful relationship!

Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:53 pm
Let's see, you're moving everything you own.
You're trying to get all the boxes unpacked or stacked in storage somewhere.
You're noticing things about the new place that you didn't notice before (there are always some) and you're trying to find the best places around to shop for food,
get the dry cleaning done
and have that ---ticka-ticka---ticka --- sound the right front wheel has started to make during a left hand turn.
The mail has gotten a little screwed up
and some of the furniture has to be sent back because it arrived
without doors.

You know what you need to get??

A puppy.

A nice, unpotty-trained puppy.

Yes, that's the ticket. What you need is something else to have to watch over especially when he/she decides to duck out the front door anytime it's opened.

(Is that Domino's???? Someone HOLD the dog!!)

You should also volunteer to house some foreign exchange students for a couple of weeks and see if the local church coat drive wouldn't like to use your address as the main drop off site.

Joe(It's perfectly alright with us for you to be crazy. We likee crazy people)Nation
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:11 pm
joe nation wrote :

Quote:
A nice, unpotty-trained puppy.

what ? there are puppies that are NOT already potty trained Laughing
shouldn't the government step in (OH , OH !) and mandate puppy potty training ?
when ebeth's dogs - and they are small - are staying with us , i always carry a good supply of LARGE bags when i take them for a walk - i've been asked if the bags are also the right size for elephants Shocked
hbg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:27 pm
It will be so easy training that pup in the midst of trying to get the roof finished, the new furnace installed, the windows changed and floors refinished.

Joe(and most of the day, the kiddo will be in school with his friends)Nation
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:05 pm
Joe, I would have never pegged you for this kind of talk. I'm stunned. I mean it. Stunned, I tell you.

And hamburger! Did eBeth rebel by becoming an dog fancier instead of smoking crack?

You two.... I'm broken hearted.

I've had several puppies. To me they have always been a joy instead of a bother.

Potty training? Isn't that what dog doors were invented for?

Most of the big work will be done by the time we move in and it's being hired out anyway so even if it isn't finished it won't be a horrid ordeal.

It's an adventure! The more the merrier!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:12 pm
Hey, sorry to be so stunning. Enjoy your dog, it's more for you than I think you realize.

I'm going to shut my mush now.

Joe(Dogs, they have always been a joy to you)Nation
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 04:51 am
Joe (what a downer) Nation - A puppy will add some "fun" to the mix of craziness going on during the move! Yes, all the things you listed will probably be going on - but a puppy will bring more smiles than frowns.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:39 am
And even if he/she does bring frowns, just think of the ways he/she will manage to bring back the smiles.

(lick lick, nudge, nudge, I love you....)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
boomerang wrote:
Joe, I would have never pegged you for this kind of talk. I'm stunned. I mean it. Stunned, I tell you.

And hamburger! Did eBeth rebel by becoming an dog fancier instead of smoking crack?

You two.... I'm broken hearted.

I've had several puppies. To me they have always been a joy instead of a bother.

Potty training? Isn't that what dog doors were invented for?

Most of the big work will be done by the time we move in and it's being hired out anyway so even if it isn't finished it won't be a horrid ordeal.

It's an adventure! The more the merrier!

Boomerang you are a girl after my own heart - that is exactly how I would feel. It is going to be crazy moving, so what is one additional item of craziness. I puppy is hard work and a joy both - if you can deal with the craziness go for it. I would!

I guess it is whether you a glass half full or half empty type of person.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:20 am
Mr. B has to be in on this wholeheartedly and I haven't recieved a "Yes" from him yet.

But he hasn't said "No" either so I guess I'm at a firm "Maybe".

Since we wouldn't be getting a puppy until we were in the new house I think he just wants to see how things go.

We've been talking puppy for a while and Mr. B agrees that the timing might be right and even he said the puppy I suggested was adorable so who knows what's going to happen.

I'm right there with you, Linkat, on thinking one more element of crazy isn't going to break the mental bank. And puppies are the happiest kind of crazy.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
Oh well then...go for it, I suppose.

(I don't deal well with crazyness. Embarrassed )
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:38 am
does the puppy have to stay in a shelter for another month?
0 Replies