Sleepwalking

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:52 am
This morning I woke up to the delicious aroma of coffee. This would have been lovely except for the fact that Mr. B was still asleep and I had just woken up along with the fact that brewing coffee requires a few steps (one of which is waking up).

The timer on my coffee maker showed that the brewing had started exactly 47 minutes before I went into the kitchen.

The only thing that could have happened is that Mr. B or I have been sleep brewing.

I did a little research but all I could find about adult sleepwaking was information about chronic sleepwalking - nothing about what might cause an incident of sleepwalking.

I confess that it has been a very stressfull week - could this have led to sleepwalking?

I appreciate your sharing any information or experiences about this odd behavior.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 18
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:55 am
yikes! It's not automatic, your coffee maker? Could baby boomer have watched and learned?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
No it isn't automatic and Little Mo spent the night at his grandparents. Even if he were here he's not yet tall enough to reach the sink to fill the pot or wiggle the water container into place (it's one of those under the counter pots).

Weird, huh?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:02 am
Very weird. Maybe a coffee fairy? So....has anyone else in either of your families ever sleep walked?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:03 am
somnambulism - there's a good word.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web1/Howard.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:18 am
That is an interesting article, little k - thanks!

I did have a margarita with dinner last night but I doubt that counts as substance abuse. Maybe I just slept a deeper sleep since Little Mo was away for the night and I didn't have to worry about him waking me up. Maybe that, in combination with a very stressful week led to the sleepwalking.

I did sleepwalk a lot as a kid - I freaked out one baby sitter so bad she would never come back by taking her into the closet and lecturing her on brooms and mops.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:23 am
Omigawd! Funny story about the babysitter and the mops and brooms. I bet you're right about the root of the walking. What did your hubby have to say about it?

And

Did you have a nice night off?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:31 am
He's still sleeping. Hmmmmm - maybe he was the sleepwalker.

Yes, we did have a nice night off. Ahh sweet leisure. I finally got to see "Adaptation", which I've wanted to see since way back when it was actually in the theaters.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:33 am
He did it! He did it! Heehee.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:45 am
Was the coffee good?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:52 am
He's awake now and he does not confess to brewing the coffee. I suppose it could have been either one of us.

Oh yes, it is very tasty coffee - I'm enjoying a cup right now.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:01 am
1. Your husband's mistress started the coffee and you weren't supposed to wake up so soon.
2. It's yesterday's coffee- the machine has been on for 24 hours and 47 minutes
3. Aliens
4. Starbucks employees are infesting the walls of your apartment. Call an exterminator
5. A burglar broke in, started the coffee, and was scared away when you woke up and started moving around.
6. Kona, the god of caffeine, smiled on you and granted this magical gift of coffee.
7. A rift in the fabric of space/time swapped your kitchen for an identical kitchen from an alternate universe.
8. Your coffee maker has become a sentient being with a will of its own.
9. Last night you were hypnotized and given a post-hypnotic command to make coffee and forget about it.
10. There was no coffee. You were still dreaming and dreamt the whole incident, including drinking it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 09:05 am
Equus!

The laugh I got from your post is the best possible medicine for stress relief!

Thank you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 05:39 pm
I'm particular to #5.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:34 am
LOL! Wow... You really must have been scratching your head on that one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:09 am
Hurrah! I woke up before making the coffee this morning!

I was doing some reading on sleepwalking and found out that some people will actually get in their cars and drive places while asleep and that acting violently is pretty common. I should be glad it was just coffee in my situation.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:30 am
Coffee is all you KNOW about....what about those three body-length mounds of dirt in the back yard?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:32 am
Oh no!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
hahaha!
0 Replies