call on VS call for

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:34 am
The Nobel laureate ____________scientists to do research that meets high ethical standards.

A called on B called for

Which one is correct? And why? (By the way, do you think the tenses of verbs consistent in the sentence?)

Thanks a lot!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 563 • Replies: 9
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:02 am
IMHO-both are correct and meets is a proper tense
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:34 am
"Called for" is correct.... meaning that the Nobel laureate is making a request.

"Called on" is synonymous with "visited" and doesn't make sense in this case.

Both of these choices are past tense, so tense isn't an issue.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:12 am
Today, the president called on Congress to pass his immigration bill...
does that make sense??..my valued friend Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
Hey panzade... that was completely uncalled for Wink

But yeah... you are right.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:38 am
Hi, Could I know if you both are native speakers of English? (I ask this out of curiosity, and with all due respect.

This qeustion is from my textbook of College English, and the answer is A. I used to think Both A and B are correct, so I posted it here to see...

Thanks for your responses!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:33 am
I am a native speaker.... and an fairly educated one. (I am pretty sure that panzade is as well).

I think your textbook is incorrect-- at the very least, they are both correct. I prefer "called for" in this sentence.

I would like to know if there is any explanation in your textbook, or if your teacher can explain what's wrong with "called for".
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:48 am
I'm a native speaker, and I'd say both are correct, with slightly different shades of meaning. "Called on scientists" has more the sense of an appeal directly to scientists--it might be something you'd say to describe the guy giving a speech at the National Academy of Sciences. "Called for scientists" has more the sense of a general goal, perhaps something you might address to a general audience in an op-ed column in the Wall Street Journal, say, whose audience isn't primarily scientists. It might be something you'd use to describe a speech given to a Congressional subcommittee deciding the budget for federal research in the coming year.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:33 am
I studied Spanish as a second language (and after many years I am very near fluent).

My teachers had similar disagreements. I think nuances of prepositional phrases that are difficult even for native speakers are common in any language.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I would like to know if there is any explanation in your textbook, or if your teacher can explain what's wrong with "called for".

No, no explanation was given in my textbook. (And sadly, no explanation was given on this by my college English teacher. Shocked They only use such sentences to catch us OUT Twisted Evil

Thanks for your answers! They really help!

Best Regards!
Blues
0 Replies