Me too

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:03 pm
Mary is tired.

Me, too.

Is "Me too" correct in formal English? Is it acceptable as an answer in an exam?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 640 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:08 pm
'I am, too' may be better and more clearly understood.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:49 pm
Ragman
I agree with 'I am too' is better. I don't see a need for the comma though.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:02 pm
TTH wrote:
Ragman

Could another member comment on the usage of the comma? I think a comma is required.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:05 pm
yes - I feel the comma is required for it to be correct.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:12 pm
I believe the correct usage would be "I am, too" as I previously wrote.

I don't mind answering your questions at all, but I feel this would be an inadequate way to learn the language. However, it seems with your history of questions on A2K, you request more specific information than may be practical or useful (to you) from the resources of this forum.

Seeing that you have so many of these type of questions, perhaps you might want to try investing in a English grammar and style book such as Strunk and White "The Elements of Style".

The rules themselves can be listed quite easily, though much of the value of the text is not only in the rules themselves but in Strunk and White's explanations and their copious (and humorous) examples.

As a former professional writer, I have used this book as my reference standard. It is available worldwide in paperback. Here's the link about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

Also, the following books are excellent, too:

'The Elements of Style' by William Strunk Jr.
'How To Speak And Write Correctly' by Joseph Devlin, (2006),

There's also the book 'A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, often referred to as Fowler's Modern English Usage, or simply Fowler's, is a style guide to British English usage, written by Henry W. Fowler, and first published in 1926. Modern English Usage covers in detail many issues of usage and pronunciation, from plurals and literary techniques to distinctions between similar words and the usage of foreign terms.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:42 pm
Ragman
I have to thank you for the book suggestion. I have been following along to see if you and contrex and others were going to teach the whole English language here. I don't always know when to use a comma so a book will be real helpful for me. I could use a refresher course in grammar for other reasons also.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
TTH wrote:
Ragman

I don't see a need for the comma, though. (I believe a comma is needed after 'comma'. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:27 pm
OK, then don't use one. It's not essential..to be correct.

I'm not sure what is going on when you ask for advice than question it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:30 pm
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:35 pm
Best advice I can think of is to refer to the previous grammar books books. A course on the The English language cannot be learned in such a manner (though asking multiple questions here).

I'm not sure what is going on when you ask for advice than question it. Perhaps you might want to refer to the English grammar and usage books to which I referred previously. You don't seem satisfied.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:41 pm
I am, too
"I'm fed up." "Me, too." (Times-Chambers Essential English Dictionary)

Since it's "Me, too" (with comma), I think it should be "I am, too."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:42 pm
Have you read the previous replies?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:43 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
TTH wrote:
Ragman

I don't see a need for the comma, though. (I believe a comma is needed after 'comma'. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Could somebody please answer my query? Thanks.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:43 pm
Please read the previous replies.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:32 am
TTH wrote:

TTH, The tenth edition is the most up-to-date version of The Gregg Reference Manual. I checked, and the info is the same.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:51 am
Ragman, I think Yoong Liat is not speaking her own opinion here but asking about the sentence itself.

Yoong Liat wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:
TTH wrote:
Ragman

Could somebody please answer my query? Thanks.

Yes, Yoong Liat, there should be a comma in the sentence "I don't see a need for the comma, though."

The sentence "Ragman I agree with 'I am too' is better" is also incorrect, in several ways. A more correct formulation would be, "I agree that 'I am too' is a better choice, Ragman."
0 Replies