Mustard

lovejoy

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
When we see on TV shows someone buying a hot dog and putting mustard on it is it English mustard or French mustard or does America have it's own brand of Mustard?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,996 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
I can't speak for the mustard users in the rest of the country, but in New York we used "deli mustard," a form of brown mustard that, I'm guessing, has some German influence.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:05 pm
I dunno, Roberta. Don't you consider American mustard to be that bright yellow stuff most people put on hotdogs (think French's brand)? I do. I also don't use it. I buy whatever looks good. Usually some sort of stone ground, brownish mustard a la French or German. The seedier the better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:07 pm
The standard mustard in U.S. diner-style restaurants is French's (which isn't French, but a family name)

http://www.frenchsmustard.com/recipe/frenchs/images/prod_m_cy.jpg

wiki page on French's mustard

I suspect that for ease of filming, that's often the only one seen. The reality of a hot dog cart in New York (even more so in Toronto) is that there are usually 4 - 10 types of mustard available.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
Warning: NOT EXACTLY RELATED BRAGGING FOLLOWS

We Slovaks cannot brag about many things, but we can about mustard. It's the best damn thing on this planet. No idea why. Hungarians, Poles, Austrians travel to Slovakia (we're neighbors) to stock up on it. I've even known a few fools that had it shipped to the U.S. Just so's you know next time you're in Central Europe, mustard is one of the things to go for...

~end bragging~

http://davidkralik.blog.sme.sk/blog/1142/58296/horcica.JPG
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
Quote:
Classic Yellow has become the model for American mustard. It contains vinegar, mustard, tumeric and other spices and is blended into a very smooth, creamy and very yellow condiment.

It's actually a good flavoured mustard.

Now, does everyone know where most mustard comes from?

Canada. Most mustards in the world are made from mustard seeds exported from Canada. Odd, eh. Many French and English mustards are made from mustard seeds grown in Canada.

pdf factsheet
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:28 pm
And now I wonder from what Slovakian mustard is made :wink:

http://i7.tinypic.com/4uyuiar.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:40 pm
'Cuse me. This is the only mustard a person should put on anything, kosher, non-kosher, kosher, schmosher.

http://www.hebrewnational.com/images/pages/products/sides/deli_mustard.gif

Joe(put it on some ham and swiss, it makes that kosher.)Nation
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:41 pm
my personal preference is to use mostly French's yellow mustard and adding a tablespoon of horseradish.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:47 pm
I prefer ketchup.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:13 pm
we usually use some kind of dijon mustard - as long as it makes our eyes water , it's o.k.
we like mustard with a good deal of ZING !
hbg

Quote:
Attributed Medicinal Properties
Historically, mustard has always held an important place in medicine. The ancient Greeks believed it had been created by Asclepious, the god of healing, as a gift to mankind. Although the volatile oil of mustard is a powerful irritant capable of blistering skin, in dilution as a liniment or poultice it soothes, creating a warm sensation. Mustard plasters are still used today as counter-irritants. Over the years mustard has been prescribed for scorpion stings and snake bites, epilepsy, toothache, bruises, stiff neck, rheumatism, colic and respiratory troubles. It is a strong emetic (used to induce vomiting) and rubefacient (an irritant) that draws the blood to the surface of the skin to warm and comfort stiff muscles. It is useful in bath water or as a foot bath, as "It helpeth the Sciatica, or ache in the hip or huckle bone" .(Gerard, 1579).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
Quote:
Now, does everyone know where most mustard comes from?

Canada. Most mustards in the world are made from mustard seeds exported from Canada. Odd, eh. Many French and English mustards are made from mustard seeds grown in Canada.

Does the perpetual proximity of hundreds of millions of grains of mustard scene account for the great faith of Canadians?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 03:39 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
'Cuse me. This is the only mustard a person should put on anything, kosher, non-kosher, kosher, schmosher.

http://www.hebrewnational.com/images/pages/products/sides/deli_mustard.gif

Joe(put it on some ham and swiss, it makes that kosher.)Nation

This is what I'm talking about. Like I said, I don't know what other folks are using, but in Noo Yawk this is what we use.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 03:43 pm
And you don't have to ADD any stinking horseradish because, as it was intended from the most ancient of days, it's already IN there.

Joe(It's not just good on hotdogs, it's good on Chateaubriand)Nation
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:11 pm
field of mustard seed in manitoba

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/statistics/images/aac05s17a.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 08:16 pm
... and in Slovakia

http://adadafoto.webzdarma.cz/dalsi_fotky/krajina/fotky/2004_0501_120429_OP_horcice_mraky_i.jpg
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:47 am
Hamburger, if Dijon mustard makes your eyes water stay away from English mustard it will blow your brains out.

We give our bairns dijon mustard to spice up their cornflakes
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:20 pm
Most varieties of Dijon mustard are excellent if you're just looking for a bit of mild, background flavouring.
One small spoonful of proper English Mustard on your hotdog and you'll think you'll think someone has taken a blowtorch to your sinus membranes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
Doowop wrote:
Most varieties of Dijon mustard are excellent if you're just looking for a bit of mild, background flavouring. [/quote

Dijon mustard mild?
Though Dijon mustard is light in color (due to how it's made), but fairly strong in flavor (ahagain due to the reason if how its made).

Bordeaux mustard is milder (but brown); Meaux mustard is the one, I would call to have a background flavour AND a certain mildness.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
I did say that most makes of dijon were mild, although there are one or two that could be considered as approaching the mild to hot end of the scale.
The acid test is if you can dip and coat the entire end of a frankfurter in it and eat it without having the sudden urge to run and immerse your head in the nearest lake.
I can easily do that with most dijons, although I wouldn't dare put more than a tiny scraping of English on an average mouthful.
0 Replies