Bottled Water and It's Various issues.

Brand X

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:00 am
I buy tons of bottled water because I don't like tap water taste and I travel a lot so a bottle of water is always at my side. There is a bottled water cooler at my office too and we go through a lot of bottles...many times I refill my personal bottle from that cooler so either way I'm contributing to the ill effects.

I tried water filters but I was terrible at keeping it maintained so I took the easy road with the bottles.

Bottled Water's Clean Image Hides a Dirty Reality
By Brandon Keim EmailJuly 03, 2007 | 8:23:56 AMCategories: Energy, Environment

Bottles Americans spend $16 billion a year on bottled water. We're happy to pay several times the cost of gasoline for something we could get for free, and people who gape with horror at Hummers think nothing of their Evian or Fiji Water -- but the environmental costs of this habit are high.

Fast Company takes a cold, clear look at how bottled water gets to our picnics and yoga studios and business meetings, and it's not pretty:

We're moving 1 billion bottles of water around a week in ships, trains, and trucks in the United States alone. That's a weekly convoy equivalent to 37,800 18-wheelers delivering water. (Water weighs 81/3 pounds a gallon. It's so heavy you can't fill an 18-wheeler with bottled water--you have to leave empty space.)

When the water discussed doesn't come from nearby, like Poland Springs from my native Maine, but from Fiji or France, even more fuel is needed to ship it. And shipping aside, there's the problem of purifying and packing the water in the first place:

That is not the only environmental cost embedded in each bottle of Fiji Water. The Fiji Water plant is a state-of-the-art facility that runs 24 hours a day. That means it requires an uninterrupted supply of electricity--something the local utility structure cannot support. So the factory supplies its own electricity, with three big generators running on diesel fuel. The water may come from "one of the last pristine ecosystems on earth," as some of the labels say, but out back of the bottling plant is a less pristine ecosystem veiled with a diesel haze.

Defenders of the industry say it's better for us to drink water than soft drinks, and that the energy costs of our water habit would simply be displaced to making more cola if we decided to quit. There's a certain blind logic to that -- but it makes a lot more sense to just buy a filter for your tap and a bottle you can use again and again.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/07/bottled-waters-.html

Cities see it as a growing problem as well. Don't know what I'm going to change for myself yet.

By MEGAN SCOTT , Associated Press (ASAP)
© July 14, 2007

Call it the attack on bottled water.

Last month, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order prohibiting city departments from buying bottled water, following a similar ban in Santa Barbara. In Michigan, the Ann Arbor City Council banned buying or serving bottled water at city events. Last fall, Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson asked city employees to stop buying and drinking it.

And the attack is coming from more than cities. Some restaurants are going off the bottle, according to a recent New York Times article. And the United Church of Canada has advised its 590,000 members to stop purchasing bottled water.

The reason for the attack? To reduce the waste from empty bottles and the energy consumed in manufacturing and shipping them.

But isn't bottled water more convenient and more pure?

asap spoke to some experts on both sides of the debate for this list of pros and cons of bottled water.

PROS:

1. Convenience: There's no such thing as a 24-hour mobile tap. Water fountains and public restroom sinks can harbor germs, and most restaurants are going to frown upon a customer who goes there only for tap water. Of course, filling a bottle with tap water at home is an option. But the water is going to be lukewarm by midmorning. Freeze it, and you wind up with water droplets everywhere.

2. Taste: Why do so many people order lemon with tap water in restaurants? Or stick to drinking Coke even though they know they should switch to Diet Coke? Because they can taste the difference -- and, similarly, many people prefer the taste of bottled water.
See Thing Your Way.

3. Choices: With bottled water, there's artesian, sparkling, spring, vitamin, fitness, energy, mineral, purified, fluoridated, and the list goes on. With tap, the only choice is -- tap.

4. Health: Municipal water contains residual amounts of chlorine, which is used to keep the water clean, and many cities add fluoride to promote dental health. A report last year from the National Academy of Sciences cited concerns about bone fractures and a discoloration and weakening of tooth enamel because of high fluoride levels in municipal water. Nitrates can be found in water in rural areas, says Bill Morris, professor of food science and technology at University of Tennessee. Sometimes, he says, when old copper pipes are used, lead can seep into the water. There are also several countries where the water is unsafe to drink.

CONS:

1. Cost: Go find last month's water bill. That amount included showering, washing dishes, clothes, brushing your teeth, filling pots with water to cook. Now how much did you spend on bottled water? Bottled water is 100 to 1,000 times more expensive than municipal water, says Amy Zander, a professor of environmental engineering at Clarkson University.

2. Health: The Natural Resources Defense Council tested more than 100 brands of bottled water and found that many of them had trace amounts of chlorine, says Dr. Gina Solomon, senior scientist for NRDC. Most bottled water contains no fluoride, and some believe moderate amounts of the compound help prevent tooth decay in children and adults.

3. Regulation: The EPA regulates tap water; the FDA regulates bottled water. An NRDC report argues that the FDA has weaker bacteria rules for bottled water than the EPA has for tap water and that the FDA also does not test bottled water as frequently as the EPA tests tap. And what about deceptive advertising? The NRDC discovered that a bottle labeled "spring water" (with mountains and a lake on the label) actually came from a well in an industrial parking lot next to a hazardous waste site. Solomon says bottled water can be called pure spring water as long as it comes from a ground water source and bubbles at the surface.

4. Environmental: Not everyone recycles, so water bottles wind up cluttering landfills. (The same could be said for soda bottles, aluminum cans and all the other paper and plastic.) Manufacturing bottles, filling them with water and shipping the final product also consume fuel and emit greenhouse gases, says Solomon.

asap reporter Megan Scott is based in New York.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=128422&ran=210354
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:16 am
Eeyep - I've added to that heap of trashed plastic bottles. Though to be fair I recycle them 99.9% of the time. I even recycle others' bottles. However this became insufficient to me and I started using a Britta filter with my tap water. It tastes better than straight tap and seems to actually do something. The filters are expensive, but not so much as a series of bottled water purchases.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:24 am
There are lots of tests showing that tap water is as good as bottled water (which doesn't have vitamins, naturally at least).

Some tap waters are even better than quite a few bottled waters (at least, some wouldn't pass the EU-tap water demands).

On the other hand, we've more than 1.500 sources for bottled water in Germany, so bottled water here doesn't have to travel long ways.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:31 am
The bottled water I buy, when I buy it, is from a relatively local source.

Walter, the problem is the flouride and chlorine - the chemicals they add to the water that we get from the tap.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:37 am
Walter, you haven't tried tap water here, it's not drinkable!

I buy bottled water and recycle it, and I will continue buying bottled water.
To me, a plastic bottle in the recycle bin is no different than a soda can
in the same bin. Water is definitely healthier than soda.

When I go to sports events and see that the majority of people buy bottled water over soda, I am happy!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:58 am
To be fair, different towns and cities treat their water differently. Some municipalities' water is not bad. In Cambridge, it's not so much the taste I am worried about.
0 Replies

YellowRosebud

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
littlek wrote:
To be fair, different towns and cities treat their water differently. Some municipalities' water is not bad. In Cambridge, it's not so much the taste I am worried about.

I agree - it depends on the town. Where I live the tap water is very tasty and so I drink it. But I have had tap water from other areas and definitely would have to buy water if I lived there. Right now though I usually just fill up my water bottles from my tap at home and only buy a bottle if I'm out and do not have anything with me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:42 pm
Our water tastes like a pool.

I can't stand it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Where I am at there is no taste to the tap water. Nothing. So, I don't drink it. I drink pop (diet coke) but I fill the bottle at least with 50% of ice cubes (which when melted is water). People have argued with me that drinking it that way, I am not getting any water. That doesn't seem logical to me. When the ice cubes melt it is water.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
TTH wrote:
When the ice cubes melt it is water.

So, ice cubes are not water before they melt?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
One alternative to banning bottled water is to put a high deposit on the bottles, say 25 cents. In Michigan there is a 10 deposit on plastic soft drink bottles. When I was a kid all soft drink bottles in Wisconsin had a deposit on them. Sure, it's a hassle for stores to have to handle the recycled bottles, but should we just hand the problem to the future generations?

For 25 cents I'd even pick up a thrown away water bottle.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
Francis wrote:
TTH wrote:
When the ice cubes melt it is water.

So, ice cubes are not water before they melt?
I wouldn't try drinking an ice cube. Laughing

Of course ice cubes are water, but people argue with me that when I put ice cubes in pop, even though the ice cubes melt, it isn't water.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:55 am
The tap water in Vancouver is generally delicious but I've been places where the water smelled and tasted of sulphur, so I don't think bottled water should be banned. I recycle water bottles, too, but recently read somewhere that it's not safe to recycle the same bottle for too long because something in the plastic breaks down and becomes unstable.
0 Replies