The GOP gives the NAACP a hint about its priorities

snood

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:58 pm
This past Thursday, the NAACP hosted a debate just for the GOP candidates. Below are pictures from the debate. Only Tom Tancredo showed up.

Tell anyone anything?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/janblount/tancredo2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/janblount/tancredo1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,156 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:07 pm
There is no way to answer that. Were the other candidates contacted, and did they give their RSVPs? I can't believe that a candidate, receiving an invitation from a credible organization like the NAACP, would just not show up.

Is it possible that the whole thing was staged to dissuade black voters from considering Republican candidates? Is it possible that the other candidates had prior committments, and that the NAACP, who knew who was and was not coming, left the empty lecterns just to make a point?

Without knowing the facts, it is just as easy and reasonable to consider one conclusion as another.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:23 pm
Quote:
The one photo the GOP does not want anyone to see was snapped at yesterday's NAACP GOP Presidential Candidate Forum. The NAACP invited all the Republican candidates to the forum, put out 9 podiums, but only one Republican showed up: Tom Tancredo. All the Democratic Presidential hopefuls showed up for their forum.

The excuses given by the Republican campaigns mostly had to do with scheduling conflicts--just too busy to make it.

The resulting photo of Tancredo--standing on a stage of empty podiums sums up the Republican party's commitment to civil rights in America: the only Republican interested is the guy running to deny immigrant workers their rights.

One has to wonder why this photo was not the lead on every morning show and on the front pages of every morning newspaper in America.

The reason, most likely, is a coordinated effort by Republicans to pressure news agencies to downplay the obvious implications of having all but one of their Presidential candidates as "no shows" for a debate at the NAACP.

What is keeping the picture and story about Republicans and racism out of today's front pages? The arrival of David Beckham and Posh Spice to Hollywood (with lots of pics)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
Quote:
Thursday, July 12, 2007
Tancredo wins applause at NAACP

DETROIT -- As Susan Milligan noted in today's Globe, Republican presidential hopefuls have largely shied away from appearing before organizations and groups deemed to have a liberal slant. But don't tell that to US Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado, the lone GOP candidate to appear this morning at the NAACP's annual convention in Detroit.

After he came out, Tancredo wandered around the empty stage, not knowing which podium to use. "Oh, right here?" he said when led to the center lectern. "Oh my gosh, this is amazing."

"Do you think we should wait a few minutes to see if these other guys show up?" Tancredo said, drawing a big laugh from the crowd. "Do they know something I don't know, is that it? I think actually I know something that they don't know."

That line drew a loud cheer from the audience, clearly appreciative that Tancredo had bothered to show up. He used his opening remarks to talk about his signature issue, illegal immigration, and how it was hurting American workers, and especially African-American workers. Tancredo said he gets "insulted" every time he hears that illegal immigrants are working jobs American citizens won't take.

not like it was some kind of unexpected event

it was the annual convention

definitely makes a statement
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:28 pm
Dang, how'd I miss that debate?!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. And yeah, a bit of a statement there...!

Just found an interesting article about but I think I'll put it on the Obama thread, just a sec.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:30 pm
Quote:
NAACP needs
a GOP strategy

Some at the NAACP gathering in Detroit wondered why more Republican presidential candidates didn't show up.

Well, mostly because the NAACP is, for all practical purposes, an arm of the Democratic Party. There's no political advantage for a GOP candidate to get a cold shoulder from a special interest group in a public forum.

NAACP honcho Julian Bond, for example, opened this week's convention by blasting Republicans, putting to rest any notion of non-partisanship.

Ironically, Dem candidates show up at such rallies but take the black vote for granted -- as many black leaders have pointed out.

If the NAACP also accumulated political capital on the GOP side, it would have influence on policy no matter who won.

As a matter of record, recent Republican administrations have appointed minorities to high positions. The first (and second) black Secretaries of State were appointed by a Republican.

The only black now on the Supreme Court was appointed by a Republican.

And the first Hispanic attorney general was in GOP administration.

Here for bad news for Detroit school kids.

And here for NAACP.

http://info.detnews.com/weblog/index.cfm?blogid=10158
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:33 pm
:-?

So how's that work -- black people tend to dislike Republicans, so Republicans don't bother? Wouldn't that itself be a valid reason to dislike Republicans?

And wouldn't the party that takes black votes for granted be the one that DOESN'T show up? After all, they're busy, and if the black votes are already in the bag...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:35 pm
Quote:
It amazes me how "those of you" will say that the NAACP is the lap dog for Democrats but also conveniently ignore the facts that only one Republican even cared to show up to the convention and for years George Bush REFUSED to show up despite numerous invitations.

Historically the Republican party has REFUSED to work with the NAACP on ANY level and you fools want to argue that the NAACP is the lap dog for the Democrats? The Republicans have NEVER made any effort to form an alliance with the NAACP, with the exception of the efforts made by Ken Mehlman...so it's an ignorant assertion to say the organization is politically motivated and swayed by Dems with ONLY the Dems make a concerted effort.

The collective ignorance here is astounding. How about reading actual history instead of the Heritage Foundation talking points. These are objective facts in history. One podium used (Tancredo) 9 empty...that says it all...

The NAACP is little different than any other "union" or special interest group. Candidates will visit the Teamsters, whomever. Stop twisting reality.

www.mokellyreport.blogspot.com

where's Lash? isn't this her issue?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:55 pm
Phoenix, in your first reply post you ask if it might have been that the event was simply "missed"...
You said that maybe we just don't know the factsabout why the GOP would miss en masse a presidential debate hosted by the NAACP.

Having that BS refuted by subsequent posts, you then post a cut and paste that seems to suggest that maybe they missed it because the NAACP hasn't built up any "political capital" with the GOP.
(and the article trots poor Condie and Colin out again...)

Why do you insist on missing the painfully, painfully obvious?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:04 pm
Re: The GOP gives the NAACP a hint about its priorities
snood wrote:
This past Thursday, the NAACP hosted a debate just for the GOP candidates. Below are pictures from the debate. Only Tom Tancredo showed up.

Tell anyone anything?

Apparently most GOP candidates take for granted that whether they show up or not, the NAACP clientele (liberal blacks) will vote for the Democrats. Apparently most Republicans consider it a waste of their time to change that. They may well be right.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:07 pm
Quote:
Some at the NAACP gathering in Detroit wondered why more Republican presidential candidates didn't show up.

Well, mostly because the NAACP is, for all practical purposes, an arm of the Democratic Party. There's no political advantage for a GOP candidate to get a cold shoulder from a special interest group in a public forum.

Kind of a chicken and egg thing there. Why would any member of the NAACP consider a GOP candidate based on their actions?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:10 pm
Yeah.

That's pretty much my response to Thomas, too. Sure, the GOP may have good reason to give up on black people, but that doesn't contradict the title of this thread (or the point behind it) -- that black people aren't a priority for the GOP.

That's fine (well, it's not, I think it's stupid and a blot on the Republicans), but you see people saying here and there that the Republicans ARE trying, that they're making great inroads with the black vote, that it IS a priority...

Ignoring this debate belies that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:32 pm
sozobe wrote:
Sure, the GOP may have good reason to give up on black people, but that doesn't contradict the title of this thread (or the point behind it) -- that black people aren't a priority for the GOP.

I didn't say it contradicts the title of the thread. That's a point I'm currently agnostic about.

sozobe wrote:
That's fine (well, it's not, I think it's stupid and a blot on the Republicans)

How is it stupid and a stain? How is it different than if, in the final runoff, the Democratic candidate doesn't campaign in Alabama, the Republican doesn't campaign in Massachusetts, and both concentrate almost entirely on Ohio, Missouri, and Florida?

sozobe wrote:
but you see people saying here and there that the Republicans ARE trying, that they're making great inroads with the black vote, that it IS a priority...

Ignoring this debate belies that.

You are implicitly assuming that the NAACP is the only Black organization through which Republicans can reach out to swingable Black voters. That's another point I'm agnostic about.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
Not the only, no. But yeah, it's a major way to reach out to black voters!

I think that the whole picture around the failure to attend is stupid and a blot. That Republicans tend to govern in a way that does not endear them to black people; and that rather than trying to improve things, they just give up. It's their prerogative of course, but their claims that they are making a real effort are rendered hypocritical by this kind of action. It's the equivalent of Obama saying that the people of Alabama are very, very important to him and he will work hard for their vote and it's shameful for people to smear him by claiming otherwise, and THEN failing to campaign there at all.

Accepting an invitation from the NAACP isn't the only way to reach out to black people, but it's a pretty great opportunity, that was squandered.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
Well, if you ever try and find a black organization besides the black republicans or the black conservatives that the GOP does reach out to, you may be less agnostic about it.

Your point about this being the same as if a Dem ignored an Alabama or some other constituency isn't based in reality. The only folks the Dems ignore that I've seen is FOX News. But then, maybe you think that's tit-for-tat, as well.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:55 pm
sozobe wrote:

My key word is "swingable". Given that most Blacks vote Democratic -- 80%? 90%? I'm not sure -- the median Black voter isn't realistically swingable for the GOP. That's why I suspect Republicans may be better advised to work through smaller organizations, more focused to the 10-20% fringe of American Blacks whose vote can actually be changed. Yes Snood, that means Black Conservatives, Black Republicans, fundamentalist Black priests -- the Clarence Thomas & Thomas Sowell crowd.

snood wrote:
Your point about this being the same as if a Dem ignored an Alabama or some other constituency isn't based in reality. The only folks the Dems ignore that I've seen is FOX News. But then, maybe you think that's tit-for-tat, as well.

What do you mean by "the only folks"? The market share of Fox in American network news may well be greater than the share of Blacks among American voters. If Democrats ignore Fox, that's no worse than if Republicans ignore the NAACP. Both are organizations that parties are free to work through if it makes sense for them -- or not, if it doesn't.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 03:02 pm
Thomas wrote:
sozobe wrote:

My key word is "swingable". Given that most Blacks vote Democratic -- 80%? 90%? I'm not sure -- the median Black voter isn't realistically swingable for the GOP. That's why I suspect Republicans may be better advised to work through smaller organizations, more focused to the 10-20% fringe of American Blacks whose vote can actually be changed.

And how do you know that these 10-20% fringe people aren't members of the NAACP, nor pay any attention to the NAACP?

Furthermore, what is usually claimed is that black PEOPLE -- in general -- are in fact a priority for the GOP. See, we put Colin and Condi in top positions, we LIKE black people, really! It's not just stated in terms of trying to get a bit higher percentage of black voters.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 03:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
And how do you know that these 10-20% fringe people aren't members of the NAACP, nor pay any attention to the NAACP?

I don't. But that's a practical question that Republican pollsters know more about than I do. I fully trust them to write informed briefs about this for Republican candidates.

sozobe wrote:
Furthermore, what is usually claimed is that black PEOPLE -- in general -- are in fact a priority for the GOP. See, we put Colin and Condi in top positions, we LIKE black people, really! It's not just stated in terms of trying to get a bit higher percentage of black voters.

Yes. I see no contradiction. The Republicans' actual record is much better evidence about this claim than their willingness to work through particular organizations. As it happens, I think their record fails the test that should matter to the black community: how their policies affect average blacks, not just the Powells, Rices, and Thomases. But I agree with the position you paraphrase, that it's a party's record that decides its value for a particular interest group. Willingness to cooperate with any particular organization is secondary.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:02 pm
OK - let's compare Fox news to black people.

In 2002, there were 36 million black people in the US. About a third of those were under 18. That leaves about 24 million voting-aged blacks. If only a tenth of those vote, that's about 2.4 million votes.

In 2002, Fox News got about 1.2 million primetime viewers on the average. Even if every single one of them vote, that's still only half as many potential black voters that are out there.

In short, it makes a whole lot less sense for the GOP to ignore Black majority venues than it does for Dems to ignore Fox news venues.

And besides, at least Democrats don't pretend to like Fox, care about Fox, or have Fox's best interests at heart.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/p20-541.pdf
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/news2002/feb02/feb04/4_thurs/news4thursday.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 04:03 pm
Thomas:

Quote:
As it happens, I think their record fails the test that should matter to the black community

Well, dang. Nevermind, then.
0 Replies