Iraq PM: Country can manage without U.S.

HokieBird

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm
Zippo wrote:
Well, they are right. Nobody want's our troops removed right NOW, i'd want them to prepare for full withdrawal before December 25th, 2007, they'd be home for Christmas. Smile

Anyone who knows a respectable amount regarding our troops and equipment in Iraq will also know that it is impossible to withdraw within that timeline.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:51 pm
old europe wrote:
TTH wrote:
I do agree with invading Iraq. 9/11 was a direct attack on USA soil and the ones who played a role in anyway needed to be dealt with.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11.

You know, it's all fine when you're around your buddies, and everybody just voices the same opinion - that Iraq had to be invaded because of the role it played in the terrorist attacks.

But if you state this opinion here (which you can do, of course... freedom of expression and all that), you should be prepared to be asked about what made you arrive at this conclusion.

Of course the most likely reason is that you were mislead by your government. All the statements that came from Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice or Powell could indeed have you believe that Iraq played a role in the 9/11 attacks. However, this is not true.

And even the few conservatives here on A2K who still hold a firm belief in the war will point out that the administration never actually lied about Iraq or about Saddam's role in 9/11, but rather that they relied on faulty intelligence or that Americans simply misunderstood what they said.

But let's have a look at the guys behind 9/11. These are the terrorists who perpetrated the attacks:

• Mohamed Atta, Egyptian
  • Waleed al-Shehri, Saudi Arabian
  • Wail al-Shehri, Saudi Arabian
  • Abdulaziz al-Omari, Saudi Arabian
  • Satam al-Suqami, Saudi Arabian
  • Marwan al-Shehhi, from the United Arab Emirates
  • Fayez Banihammad, from the United Arab Emirates
  • Mohand al-Shehri, Saudi Arabian
  • Hamza al-Ghamdi, Saudi Arabian
  • Ahmed al-Ghamdi, Saudi Arabian
  • Hani Hanjour, Saudi Arabian
  • Khalid al-Mihdhar, Saudi Arabian
  • Majed Moqed, Saudi Arabian
  • Nawaf al-Hazmi, Saudi Arabian
  • Salem al-Hazmi, Saudi Arabian
  • Ziad Jarrah, Lebanese
  • Ahmed al-Haznawi, Saudi Arabian
  • Ahmed al-Nami, Saudi Arabian
  • Saeed al-Ghamdi, Saudi Arabian

As you can see, quite a large number of Saudi Arabians. And as you can see, quite a small number of Iraqis.

Of course you can say that it is your opinion that the United States were attacked by Iraq, that the right to freedom of speech allows you state that, and that you will just disagree with anyone who tells you that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. I guess that translates into something like a "right to remain ignorant". Which you do have, of course.

However, as I've only been guessing about your rationale so far, let me ask you here: what made you arrive at your conclusion that Iraq played a role in the 9/11 attacks?
That this post right here is glossed over in place of a bunch of bullshit. This right here is the truth of the matter. That we (Americans) dismiss and ignore the facts.

That is why there is some child walking around in Iraq looking for some gutter water to drink or some trash to eat traumatised by the memory of their parents heads getting blown off.

Murder, lies and greed in the name of God. In the name of national security.

This is not a nation under God.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
Yes it is -- Mars or Ares, however.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 05:34 pm
sozobe wrote:
Wow. I've always wondered who those people were who answered that Iraq had something to do with 9/11 in polls and such... now I know one of 'em.

(And at THIS stage of the game too... geez.)

It never ceases to amaze me...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 06:50 pm
....and me! geeeeezuz is right. Makes you wonder how they ever got through school. Facts are presented umpteen times, and they still don't get it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:02 pm
They all went to the school for scandal.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:20 pm
that's what happens when people reject the "mainstream media" in favor of a single source being fed the "truth" by a regime.

the ussr had a similar strategy and it was called pravda.

it's funny to me how the word "mainstream" gets played around with.

when someone opines against the administration, he/she's declared to be "out of the mainstream". and that is veddy, veddy bad.

when the three oldest networks, and their cable ops, say something that doesn't fit with the official yada-yada, they are the mainstream media. and that's even worse.

now, "the mainstream media elites", well them there, that's the double whammy!

and this immalleable truism is the bedrock upon which the real media perches while gleefully giving you the real low down. word for word as delivered with god's blessing from the desk our masters.

which leads us to the rape and pillage of the word elite.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:28 pm
Wow, DTOM, that's a mouthful in anybody's language. I mean, media.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 08:35 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wow, DTOM, that's a mouthful in anybody's language. I mean, media.

Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
Re: Iraq PM: Country can manage without U.S.
Zippo wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It's so easy to win arguments when you just make up motives for the opposition.

Give me one shred of evidence, or point to an existing post, that indicates we're they're for oil. I clearly remember your previous post on that topic and, upon examination, it contained no evidence of anything.

It's nothing more than your catch-all way to avoid having to actually argue your point.

Its quite obvious to the Iraqi government officials.

Quote:
Fight for control: Iraq oil under pressure

Sunday July 15, 2007 From ( The Guardian )

"'We will lose control over Iraqi oil. Therefore, the social progress in Iraq will be curtailed substantially, because the oil companies want huge profits; they are not concerned about the environment, wages, or living conditions,' he warned. 'We will wait to see the reaction of the Iraqi people.'"

"Al Assadi said that Washington and London had put heavy pressure on the Iraqi government to persuade it to pass the new law. 'It's not logical for the US to come out empty-handed: they want their hands to be full of Iraqi oil,' he said. 'One of our criticisms is the way the law was proposed - under a veil of secrecy.'"

This is somebody's rather vague statement of opinion. What is the piece exactly of this new law which involves stealing or taking some kind of unfair advantage of Iraqi oil? You can do better than vague hearsay with no specifics, can't you?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:15 pm
old europe wrote:
You can base that statement on what you read and hear. I don't think you were present to know this for a fact.
old europe wrote:
You know, it's all fine when you're around your buddies, and everybody just voices the same opinion - that Iraq had to be invaded because of the role it played in the terrorist attacks.
I don't talk politics with "my buddies".
old europe wrote:
But if you state this opinion here (which you can do, of course... freedom of expression and all that), you should be prepared to be asked about what made you arrive at this conclusion.
Sure you can ask, but I don't have to substantiate my opinion to anyone.
old europe wrote:
Of course the most likely reason is that you were mislead by your government. All the statements that came from Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice or Powell could indeed have you believe that Iraq played a role in the 9/11 attacks. However, this is not true.
How do you know it isn't true unless you were present and have some inside knowledge.
old europe wrote:
And even the few conservatives here on A2K who still hold a firm belief in the war will point out that the administration never actually lied about Iraq or about Saddam's role in 9/11, but rather that they relied on faulty intelligence or that Americans simply misunderstood what they said.
I agree that some of the intelligent was faulty, I believe some of the officials even stated that.
old europe wrote:
But let's have a look at the guys behind 9/11. These are the terrorists who perpetrated the attacks:
  • Mohamed Atta, Egyptian
  • Ziad Jarrah, Lebanese
As you can see, quite a large number of Saudi Arabians. And as you can see, quite a small number of Iraqis.

Of course you can say that it is your opinion that the United States were attacked by Iraq, that the right to freedom of speech allows you state that, and that you will just disagree with anyone who tells you that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. I guess that translates into something like a "right to remain ignorant". Which you do have, of course.
You can call me ignorant, it doesn't offend me. I never said Iraq attacked the USA. The terrorists attacked the USA. As far as your list of the terrorists, I will take your word on who they are and where they came from.
old europe wrote:
However, as I've only been guessing about your rationale so far, let me ask you here: what made you arrive at your conclusion that Iraq played a role in the 9/11 attacks?
I believe that Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden have ties to Al-Qaeda who are responsible for 9/11. I believe that possibly Saddam Hussein had an indirect role in financing Al-Qaeda. Even if Saddam Hussein had no role in the 9/11 attacks at all, I still blame him for this invasion. He did not follow the UN resolutions that had been passed and that alone, if I remember correctly, left the door open for the use of force.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:28 pm
Zippo wrote:
TTH wrote:
Zippo
Hi there Very Happy

Hey, I asked a lot of soldiers in the area I live in if they thought it was time for the USA to leave and they ALL said NO, not yet. All these soldiers (men & women) have served in Iraq at least once if not more. I even met a soldier who said he was present when Suddam Hussein was found. He said it was tempting to just shot him but they all knew it was not the right thing to do.

Well, they are right. Nobody want's our troops removed right NOW, i'd want them to prepare for full withdrawal before December 25th, 2007, they'd be home for Christmas. Smile
Zippo I like your thinking, but I don't believe that 2007 is when we will withdraw. I am hoping for sometime in 2008. Also, I made a post and said HI to you because I liked the subject line. At first I thought "Zippo pm'd Iraq" Shocked Laughing Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:15 pm
I'm confused.

The Iraqi PM says that we can leave and that the Iraqi's can do security in their own country.......so.......why are we staying?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:18 pm
maporsch, You should know by now why we are staying; Bush says we stay (the course to win), and the congress says "yes sir!"
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 01:18 am
TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
...All the statements that came from Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice or Powell could indeed have you believe that Iraq played a role in the 9/11 attacks. However, this is not true.
How do you know it isn't true unless you were present and have some inside knowledge.

hello thh. this caught my eye.

at this point, we all have some inside knowledge now via the 9/11 commission.

it's worth noting that, as you may remember, when the iraq invasion began, there was a recording going out on the news of bin laden urging all good muslims to put aside their hate of the communist (i believe it was) saddam and go to fight in iraq to defend islam.

the islamic fundis disliked saddam because he was a secularist (in their minds anyway) as opposed to a sharia law leader. and not a little bit because he was backed by the us in the war with iran.

it's really interesting when you start looking into the people who were involved in supporting saddam back then and where they are/were in the bush administration.

you can start with rumsfeld.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:10 am
TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
You can base that statement on what you read and hear. I don't think you were present to know this for a fact.

Well, those who made the decision to invade Iraq and drop bombs on Baghdad weren't present either. So if that's your only yardstick, then I can reach a conclusion that is just as valid as that of the President of the United States.

Apart from that, we obviously don't get most of our knowledge from first-hand experience. How do you know, for example, how many countries there are in the world? From visiting all of them and counting them? How do you know who's President of the US? From meeting him and asking him for his name? And how do you know that there were men on the moon...? Hm?

Apparently, there are ways to learn about things that don't require your bodily presence.

TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
I don't talk politics with "my buddies".

In that case, maybe you should.

TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
Sure you can ask, but I don't have to substantiate my opinion to anyone.

You don't have to do anything. And you're free to arrive at your conclusion from, say, looking at the stars, or reading tea leaves.
I'm just saying that when you state your opinion on an internet forum, then people might just ask what made you arrive at your conclusion.

TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:

And again, you're trying to make an argument here that essentially favours staying ignorant. Most of us weren't present in what's going on in the world today. Most of us haven't been to Darfur, or Iran or North Korea. Does that mean we should all just shut up, because there's no way we could possibly voice an informed opinion?

I don't think so. There's a wealth of information out there, and via the internet it's very easily accessible for everyone. If you want get informed, you don't have to rely on what the White House says, or the major TV networks, or your local newspaper. You can easily find out what politicians and experts around the world are saying - in the Americas, in Europe, in Asia, at the UN - and compare that to what your administration officials state.

In the case of the Iraq WMD, you had the United Nations weapons inspectors on the ground in Iraq, going from site to site, questioning Iraqis, looking at the evidence, and giving detailed reports back to the public.
(->The United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission)

In the case of Iraq's involvement in 9/11, you had the bipartisan 9/11 commission, created by Congressional legislation, in order "to prepare a full and complete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001 attacks".
(-> The 9/11 Commission Report on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States)

All of that isn't very hard to find.

TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
I agree that some of the intelligent was faulty, I believe some of the officials even stated that.

Good. That's a first step. Now if you say you support the troops on the ground in Iraq, wouldn't you want to know what you support them for? What they are there for? Or why they had been sent there?

I mean, do you really want to support an administration that can hardly be described as "conservative", that sent the troops in harm's way, based on faulty intelligence - in a best-case scenario?

That's what I'm wondering....

TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
  • Mohamed Atta, Egyptian
  • Ziad Jarrah, Lebanese

You can call me ignorant, it doesn't offend me. I never said Iraq attacked the USA. The terrorists attacked the USA. As far as your list of the terrorists, I will take your word on who they are and where they came from.

I didn't call you ignorant. See, there's no law saying that you have to look at all the information available or form an informed opinion. I said that that probably translates into something like a "right to remain ignorant".

It's true, you never said that Iraq attacked the USA. You just said that you did agree with invading Iraq, that 9/11 was a direct attack on USA soil and that the ones who played a role in anyway needed to be dealt with.

That sounds like you supported the invasion of Iraq because Iraq played a role in the attacks. However, there's no evidence that would support that opinion.

And, by all means, don't take my word on the 9/11 terrorists' nationalities. You could have a look at this FBI press release from September 14, 2001, published in the immediate wake of the attacks. Or you could read the The 9/11 Commission Report and see what they found.
But don't just take somebody's word for it, eh?

TTH wrote:
old europe wrote:
I believe that Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden have ties to Al-Qaeda who are responsible for 9/11.

I partly agree. I believe that bin Laden has ties to Al-Qaeda. That shouldn't be too surprising, as he was among those who founded that organisation.

As for Saddam's ties to Al-Qaeda: what leads you to believe that?

TTH wrote:
I believe that possibly Saddam Hussein had an indirect role in financing Al-Qaeda.

How so? How, where and when did he give money to Al-Qaeda? Or are saying that he "possibly" did that so you don't have to substantiate those claims?

TTH wrote:
Even if Saddam Hussein had no role in the 9/11 attacks at all, I still blame him for this invasion.

That's a bit odd, isn't it? Did he attack the United States? Did he attack the US troops that had started with a massive build up along Iraqi borders?

See, most people would blame the aggressor - the country that sent troops around half the globe to invade a sovereign country - for the invasion. Not the country that is being invaded.

TTH wrote:
He did not follow the UN resolutions that had been passed

Really? In March 2003, which UN resolution didn't Saddam follow?

TTH wrote:
and that alone, if I remember correctly, left the door open for the use of force.

It didn't. If there had been UN resolutions that had been violated, the decision to enforce them using military means would obviously have to be made by the United Nations.

Instead, the United States ignored the UN and took it upon themselves to ship massive equipment and hundreds of thousands of troops around half the globe and to unilaterally bomb, invade and occupy a country that hadn't even attacked the US.

I think it's difficult to argue that Iraq was invaded for ignoring UN resolutions when the United States showed so much contempt for the United Nations, ignored the reports of the United Nations weapons inspectors and unilaterally invaded a country without a UN resolution.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:25 am
Iraq tells bush we can get along without you and he ignores them.

I would like to cast my vote for the president of the US (whoever that might really be) telling Iraq you'll have to get along without us and then ignoring them.

seems, I don't know, more sensible.

Now I would like to quote my friend Kickycan from last year sometime.

"Here comes Brandon to tell us that we're going to have our heads sawed off by terrorists". Laughing
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:27 am
Source
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:21 am
Brand X wrote:

Iraqi PM's about-face: Says remark that U.S. could go 'any time' misunderstood...

Bush & Co must have showed al-Maliki a picture of Saddam's old noose.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:33 am
Just to let you know I am reading the 9/11 Commission Report. I purchased the book when I realized it had been published and was for sale to the public. From your responses, not everyone's, I don't think you have read the report. I am not through reading the book. The contents go into great detail imo and is a lot to comprehend. The book talks about how President Bush felt and decisions he made. If the commission report is to be believed, which I have no reason to think it shouldn't, then you just might realize how much President Bush does care. You have said your opinion and I have stated mine. I have nothing more to add to the subject.
0 Replies