Ecowater ERR3500 vs. Kinetico 4040

h799396

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:09 pm
Great forum!

Rainsoft salesperson quoted $6200 for EC4 unit including RO (and soap package) - I passed.

Can anyone provide opinions or have experience with these units? What price am I looking at for these units? I'd prefer to have a pro install for me, as I'm not very handy - that's why I'm considering these 2 'full service' products.

Some quick details:
-Family of 6
-Water hardness = 11
(Can't remember rest of the water test details and salesperson didn't leave the results)

H2OMan likes the Ecowater and Fleck units. The Fleck 2510SE seems to be a really good unit, but, it hasn't been easy finding a Fleck dealer (or someone that works with Fleck) down here in South-Central Texas.

Thanks for your input!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 24,881 • Replies: 43
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:27 pm
Re: Ecowater ERR3500 vs. Kinetico 4040
h799396 wrote:
Great forum!

Rainsoft salesperson quoted $6200 for EC4 unit including RO (and soap package) - I passed.

WOW!!!! $6200 Shocked

Seek out an EcoWater dealer and see how they compare.
0 Replies

h799396

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 06:41 pm
Re: Ecowater ERR3500 vs. Kinetico 4040
I've got EcoWater and Kinetico scheduled for their water analysis and product demos. That's why I was inquiring about these 2 products.
Both seem like really solid products. Wanted to get an idea of price and product insight (durability, warranty, etc.) before going into the demos.

Thanks!
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 08:27 am
You can easily become more handy or consider a plumber a "pro" as you say and buy online paying a plumber $200-400 to install it and have the Fleck 2510SE. That will save you a $1000-2000+ dollars.

BTW, I have no trouble finding an independent dealer selling Fleck anywhere in TX.
0 Replies

h799396

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 08:58 am
Gary,

Thanks for the response. How do I find Fleck independent dealers? I've trolled online with no luck(?). Short of cold calling some local outfits, I don't know what to do.

Thanks!
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:15 pm
The vast majority of local dealers do not have a web site. You find them under the heading Water whatever in the local (online too) yellow pages. They may or may not say Autotrol, Clack, Erie or Fleck in their adds so yes, you call'em or stop by their store (at an appropriate time).

Or go here http://www.aquacosm.com/ and click Water Treatment and a window pops up and you enter your town and State and then scroll to yer heart's content.

Or become the DIYer ya wannabe by learning to solder in about 30 minutes of practice (you reuse the parts you practice with) and watching this http://tinyurl.com/c3agr... The tools are usually $55 at a big box store and the plumbing materials to install a softener are usually $35-$55. And when yer done installing your softener ya git ta keep the tools! If you don't want to solder, use compression fittings that only require a couple wrenchs or a wrench and pair of channel lock pliers.
0 Replies

h799396

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 05:00 pm
H2OMan,
What do you think of $4000 for the Ecowater ERR3500 and ERO375 units including installation and sales tax? Some trench digging will be required as the main line is at the front of the house (no basement in my house) where they will be tying into.

Thanks!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 05:19 pm
h799396 wrote:
H2OMan,
What do you think of $4000 for the Ecowater ERR3500 and ERO375 units including installation and sales tax?

Some trench digging will be required as the main line is at the front of the house (no basement in my house) where they will be tying into.

Thanks!

That price sounds fair to me. If a soap pkg. is involved in the deal consider deleting it for a discount.
0 Replies

h799396

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 05:51 pm
That's with the soap package excluded. What's a typical soap package worth?
Price wise, they are pretty much the same -- I'm leaning towards the Ecowater because of the added features (e.g. remote display, integrated unit) but, am also impressed with the Kinetico (e.g. non-electrical, twin tanks). Guess I'll flip a coin and see what happens. Smile

Any last words of advice for me to sleep on?

Thanks!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:39 pm
Sleep well, you are leaning in the right direction Cool
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:35 pm
Man, $4000 for a glorified Kenmore!! Of course an Ecowater dealer is going to think it's a good buy...

pssst... guys, you're becoming obvious.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:48 am
Yes, EcoWater does make equipment that wears the Kenmore brand name, but this big
box equipment is not comparable to the tier 1 systems you get from an EcoWater dealer.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:00 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Yes, EcoWater does make equipment that wears the Kenmore brand name, but this big box equipment is not comparable to the tier 1 systems you get from an EcoWater dealer.

"Tier 1 system". I disagree. A softener is a softener is a softener.

Not comparable! It shares some of the same parts as the Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool, North Star and mortonsalt.com softeners; especially the rotary disc control valve!

The small difference in the circuit board's features does not justify a price tag of $2500-$3000 higher than the big box store prices for basically the same softener.

The majority of the difference in price is going into the dealers' pocket as profit and the consumer gets a "tier 1" big box store softener.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 09:15 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

The majority of the difference in price is going into the dealers' pocket as profit and the consumer gets a "tier 1" big box store softener.

I disagree.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:10 pm
I would too if I was selling a "tier 1" big box store softener for $3500.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:00 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
I would too if I was selling a "tier 1" big box store softener for $3500.

This is a common response from 2nd and 3rd tier sellers.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 03:34 pm
Recall that online guys sell Autotrol, Clack and Fleck and you don't find that equipment sold in big box stores. So I'd say there is none of your Ecowater or other "tier" involved. Like I said, a glorified Kenmore.
Andy CWS

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 04:54 pm
h799396

I assume your water is city water and that you are looking to remove the chlorine. Would that be right?

The Kinetico MACH 4040s OD would be a good choice. If you are not familiar with the technology, it is a non-electric, automatic alternating softener. This provides ceaseless water treatment even during regeneration.

The 4040 also uses four tank (2+2) with two tanks containing carbon for chlorine treatment and two tanks for softening. It is a very efficient unit and has one of the longest, most comprehensive warranties available.

It should cost you less than the Ecowater system and way less than the Rainsoft.

I can give you more detail on this if you'd like.

Andy Christensen, CWS
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 04:54 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Recall that online guys sell Autotrol, Clack and Fleck and you don't find that equipment sold in big box stores.

There is a good reason you don't find these items being sold in big box stores, they are incomplete.

Autotrol, Clack and Fleck make control valves that are intended for the assemblers that sell to end users.
You and I buy these control valves and resell them with whatever is needed to do the job.
We install them on existing tanks as upgrade valves, we install them on generic tanks with
whatever media is needed and sell them as complete water systems.

Some companies assemble complete systems with these same control valves, re badge them with a specific "brand name" and sell them as something special.
Others contract with the big 3 valve makers for something a little different, slap a known brand name on the system and sell it at an extra high price. RainSoft does this.
You and I can sell all three brands if we choose to. You have chosen Clack and I have chosen Fleck.

EcoWater makes complete systems that are intended for end users. These are sold by dealers within EcoWater dealer network.
You and I can't order these from a supply house for resale. EcoWater will not sell to us, they sell to EcoWater dealers only.

EcoWater does make lesser copies of the original to be sold in big box stores and one brand (NorthStar) is made for plumbing supply house sales.
You and I could possibly become NorthStar dealers - I hope that clears things up a bit.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 04:58 pm
I live for these water softener threads
0 Replies