How much does the average doctor visit cost?

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:06 pm
Quote away, kid.

life4me8, Welcome to a2k and thanks for the great info.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 11:37 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Osso, I have a question about this. How can they just decide that something is too high, if it's all in writing? I don't understand how that's legal.
Price tag for service needs to fit their guidelines for "reasonable and customary" or the overage is on you.

"Reasonable and customary" will vary with the geographical location, the patient is in.The NorthEast corridor has to be the most expensive area of the US, for health care.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 11:42 pm
Quote:
The average doctor visit (without any tests or bloodwork) is approximately $200

I doubt that this reflects the cost of a single visit in the deep South.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 11:53 pm
An average visit to an emergency room costs $383. (New England Journal of Medicine, "The Costs of Visits to Emergency Departments," 1996.)

The average physician's office visit costs $60. (American Medical Association, "Physician Socioeconomic Statistics," 2001.)

In today's dollars, and considering a 5% increase in rates over time, the average visit to an ER would cost about $625, and the average physician's office visit ( national average ) would be about $75.

( Blue Cross+ Blue Shield )
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:12 pm
My office charges $80 unless you have insurance and then the copays are anywhere from $3.50 (for medicaid) to upwards of $30.

This says nothing about anything that's actually DONE at the visit. Blood work, xrays, etc are obviously all extra.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 10:49 am
This web site may be useful.

http://www.vimo.com/
0 Replies

stran1ae

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 11:22 pm
It depends on how detailed the visit is. If it is just a self-limiting problem like a cold, then it is relatively inexpensive, especially if no prescriptions are written. Each problem that you present, test performed, and script written increases the bill. I guess just keep that in mind when visiting a Dr. because they can even charge you for things like "counseling." For example: if you are overweight and they discuss weight loss options with you, they can charge extra for this...hope this hasn't just been an incoherent ramble...good luck
0 Replies

some81

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 10:41 am
@kickycan,
I live in NYC, Queens.
I don`t have an insurance.
Yesterday I visited general doctor for check-up, it was $125. He made me ECG - $20. I had 2d echo which is $250. The blood and urine examination was $100.

This can be helpful for someone!
Miller

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 09:07 am
@some81,
ECG for $20?? Are you sure about that?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 09:08 am
@some81,
If you need a tetanus shot in the Boston area and you go to the ER, the cost without insurance is about $550. The wait time is about 5 hours.
0 Replies

t-jay98

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:24 pm
@kickycan,
hi there i know what you mean ive been in the same possition as you for ages and i just cant seem to move anyware,...
0 Replies