Brussel Sprouts - How do YOU make them edible?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:06 pm
When I'm reading newspapers online I often glance at their food columns. I like Kim O'Donnell's blog in the Washington Post - she seems to know a lot about local markets and would probably know about anything like CSAs in the area.

Here's a link; it seems like she is fine with emails.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appetite/
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:10 pm
Here's a start http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/csa.shtml
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:10 am
Thanks!
Thanks guys, I'll check out those links!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:19 pm
My farmer is sending applications out on Wednesday. It makes me feel like Spring is just around the corner!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:48 pm
@Swimpy,
We had brussels sprouts tonight. The kid didn't want to eat any of it, but changed her mind quickly after trying one...

I sauteed them with butter, bread crumbs, pine nuts and sprinkled some parmesan on top upon serving. It certainly was delicious.
mismi

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 08:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Jane - I might try that - I have avoided those since I was a child myself. Your recipe sounds great...mind posting how you did it?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:43 am
@CalamityJane,
I made some this weekend. Your recipe sounds good. I have to stay away from butter, but olive oil is a good substitute.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:56 am
@Swimpy,
I love butter for certain vegetables, and I think it takes out the tad of bitterness that brussels sprouts have, but my cholesterol is only 180, so I can have butter. Olive oil is always good, Swimpy.
----

Mismi, very simple recipe. I pre-cooked the brussels sprouts in the microwave
to make them more tender. Then I cut them in halves, sauteed bread crumbs
(I used a handful) in butter, add the brussels sprouts and pine nuts. Saute them until they're lightly brown and serve them with sprinkled parmesan.
mismi

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:09 am
@CalamityJane,
I can't wait to try it Jane...thank you
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
@mismi,
I made some last night. Love love love brussel sprouts. I always chop them into circles, put on some olive oil, add salt, vinegar (or white wine), and sugar towards the end so it caramelizes a bit. Caraway seeds if you like'em, I do.
Always awesome.
mismi

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 11:26 am
@dagmaraka,
That sounds good too. I really haven't eaten Brussel Sprouts in a long time...mainly because I didn't want to eat them the way my Mom made them. They weren't bad...they just tasted like cabbage to me. That's not so bad either - it is just not interesting enough for me. These two ideas make it much more appealing. Thanks for sharing!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 03:47 pm
@mismi,
bumping this, since I just bought some brussel sprouts..
jespah

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually I was thinking of 'em m'self. Might not buy them this week but they are in the back of my mind.
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:31 pm
@jespah,
i have a whole bag in the fridge. wish i had some bacon... it may sound odd, but the slightly caramelized brussel sprouts are heavenly when sprinkled with crispy crunchy bacon bits.
Izzie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:52 pm
@dagmaraka,
when in Brussels.... brussels.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@dagmaraka,
Carmelization is good for pretty much anything, I've found. Hmm we already went food shopping. Maybe next week?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:57 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

I made some last night. Love love love brussel sprouts. I always chop them into circles, put on some olive oil, add salt, vinegar (or white wine), and sugar towards the end so it caramelizes a bit. Caraway seeds if you like'em, I do.
Always awesome.

Mmm, now that sounds good. I'll have to give that a try, but I'd probably use some yellow mustard rather than straight vinegar. The caraway seeds sound heavenly.

Adding some chopped bacon and sliced onions to the caramelization mix sounds like it would also be a good thing. Hmm, that might be a great casserole idea if topped with some parm and bread crumbs.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@Butrflynet,
Hmm, I have all of that. Tonight for dinner, you betcha. Probably thaw some roasted potatoes/sweet potatoes/carrots and heat them up too, er, separately.
0 Replies