Brussel Sprouts - How do YOU make them edible?

Swimpy

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 03:54 pm
Oooo a new cooking website! Thanks, and that recipe sounds really good.

Welcome to A2k, AndCaliope!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:00 am
I picked up some chestnuts yesterday. Today there will be brussel sprouts and chestnuts for our midday Christmas left-overs meal. mmmm
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:05 am
I've seen brussels sprouts in the supermarket of late. They are huge!

So, do you cook the chestnuts and the sprouts together?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:12 am
Swimpy wrote:
They are huge!

I only buy/use small ones. (And hopefully, tomorrow they are the for last time on the plate [with filet of wild deer]. At least for some time. [Had them so often the last couple of weeks.])
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:28 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I only buy/use small ones.

I remember that advice. I didn't buy any.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
And hopefully, tomorrow they are the for last time on the plate [with filet of wild deer]. At least for some time. [Had them so often the last couple of weeks.]

Are you a hunter, Walter? Did you bag the deer yourself?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
Not at all I'm not hunting.

But there've been a lot hunting around here the last couple of weeks - the deer is from a local butcher's.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 01:16 pm
The chestnuts and brussel sprouts were sauteed together in a pan with a bit of butter (first) and then a bit of broth at the end.

I thought they were marvellous, mrs. hamburger seemed to like them, the fellas not so much. hamburger likes his brussel sprouts the way he likes them.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 01:34 pm
I have to add chestnuts to my list of foods to try. I've never had them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 01:48 pm
<thud>
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 03:27 pm
Beth? Are you alright? Someone get her a glass of water!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 07:07 pm
No roasted chestnuts?

Ever?

Shocked
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:39 pm
Nope, never.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:26 pm
Most of my childhood memories of going to museums in big cities include memories of roasted chestnut vendors outside the museum steps.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:11 pm
I think chestnuts are an eastern thing. We don't have many chestnut trees around here.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:17 pm
Try This...
I'm not a huge fan of brussel sprouts myself, but my roommate loves them, so I'm coming around!

Try steaming them and topping them with a mixture of garlic, lemon, and olive oil. The acidity in the lemon, and the garlic definitely make a difference.

Also, I've been meaning to try them this way- I watched the Barefoot Contessa one day and she made them- it seems like they get kind of crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:42 pm
strawberry, Welcome to A2k! I've mentioned before my worship of the roasted vegetable. (Ossobucco and I need to form a church.) I've learned that only small brussel sprouts will do for me.

My local CSA should be sending out applications for summer produce pretty soon. I can't wait to start getting super fresh veggies again.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:41 am
Thanks for the welcome!

What does CSA stand for??

I'm trying to add more veggies into my diet- I'm not too good at that! What I'm really excited for is good blueberries and strawberries again- my favorites! Those are best in the summer right?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:13 am
CSA means Community Supported Agriculture. You pay a local farmer in advance, by subscription, for a portion of his crops. Then you get fresh veggies delivered throughout the season. It's like having your own garden without having to do any work!

Strawberries and blueberries are available year round in the grocery store. I buy frozen in the winter, because the fresh ones have been trucked from FLA or CA or South America and have lost a lot of nutrients on the way.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:55 pm
Interesting- you know a lot about this.

I like the idea of the CSA, and would love to look into it more in my area- any ideas on where to find such info?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:01 pm
(That's called here "subscription-box" - you get a box with vegetables, fruits, meat, beef, etc [whatever you order] once or twice per week from a local organic farmer/gardener)
0 Replies